Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/12/06 05:32 PM
The two channels system's Outlaw is going to a third system for kids so they don’t burn out projector bulbs – or trash the HT room. So I’m in the market for another sub woofer. But I need it to match my Opus 2’s. I’m considering one of these Wharfedale subs (the SW 300 in piano black) http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/range.php?range_id=18

Has anyone heard them? My dealer told me this new series is supposed to be much better than previous Wharfedale subs, but he hasn’t actually listened to them all that much. He did say the old versions suck. I'm thinking the remote would be pretty cool.

Ya I know, I should just bight the bullet and pick up another EP, but they’re just too damn expensive in gloss.

Posted By: Tharkun Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/12/06 05:38 PM
LINK
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/12/06 06:16 PM
Can't say I've heard the Wharfdales, but they sure are good looking.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/12/06 06:46 PM
Bite the bullet!

Easy for me to say!
Posted By: Wid Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/12/06 09:29 PM
I had a Wharfedale sub about a year ago. While it wasn't to bad of a sub the Hsu VTF 2 that replaced it smokes it's rear for sq and output.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/13/06 07:21 AM
which one did you have?
Posted By: Wid Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/13/06 10:30 AM

It was the PowerCube 12.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/14/06 03:16 PM
My dealer of choice said that model sucked Rick. He also told me that for the price, he can get some 05 model Audio Pro subs ( the B2.2.7) that he tells me sound very good with music. Made in Sweeden. Quite a bit cheaper than the new Wharf.

This is nice having a dealer that actually tries to talk me out of spending money.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/14/06 03:26 PM
I would say that dealer is one you want to keep around. Rare in todays competitive market.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/14/06 03:30 PM
Nice to have an AV dealer that uses proper industry terminology like "sucks". Not somone I would buy from, just my 2 cents, sounds more like a salesman to me.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/14/06 03:41 PM
Or he gets a higher cut on those. Or he needs to get rid of them. I don't know the guy, shouldn't cast aspersions. But there's not always a positive motive behind these things.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/14/06 03:46 PM
I understand consumer beware, but mabey there is one honest salesman out there regardless of his terminology.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/14/06 04:04 PM
Right - because clearly the proper term for sub performance would be "blows"

Candor (as opposed to BS) can be refreshing, and I might enjoy it if somebody tried to sell me the "right" thing, instead of trying to sell me "everything" or "anything".

Sorry I can't help you with the Wharfedale, Mike. I like my SVS, and I don't get out much.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/14/06 06:20 PM
In reply to:

but mabey there is one honest salesman

Maybe your right, but do your homework!
Posted By: michael_d Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/15/06 01:45 AM
"Sucks" was my take on his descripion. His words were "not very good and that he hadn't been able to compare them to the new versions yet".

He takes care of me, and I buy a lot of stuff from him. That's what I call a good relationship with a dealer.
Posted By: Wid Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/15/06 01:55 AM

I wouldn't say the Powercube "sucked" but it sure wasn't on par with the Hsu subs I have owned. I can't say I have ever heard of the subs you mentioned. What was he comparing it too as far as performance goes. Also what price range are we talking.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/15/06 11:16 PM
Any reason not to consider a Hsu, or Axiom?
Posted By: Wid Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/15/06 11:20 PM
I'm not familar with the Axiom subs but the Hsu subs are proven winners, this I do know. I would bet, and I'm not a betting man, dollor for dollor the Hsu sub would be far better than the Warfedale sub.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/16/06 03:04 PM
I wanted another 600. After having both the 500 and 600, for music at least…..the 600 is just a much smoother/better sub. So, seeing how I want a sub to match the speakers for this system, I need it in a piano black finish. A 600 in that finish is about $2500. That’s too much money for me to spend on a sub woofer.

I haven’t ruled out HSU or SVS if they have subs in the finish I want. I haven’t looked at them yet. I was just wondering about these Wharf’s as they do look pretty darn good. If they also sound good, it’s a no brainer to get one. If they sound like crap, I don’t want one. I do like the remote control on them. There are plenty of times when I’d like to bump the sub volume up or down a touch.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/16/06 03:12 PM
In reply to:

I do like the remote control on them. There are plenty of times when I’d like to bump the sub volume up or down a touch.

So true, Mike. I wish all subs came with a remote. It would make things so much easier.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Anyone heard these sub woofers? - 04/16/06 04:39 PM
Ditto the last two posts.
© Axiom Message Boards