Axiom Home Page
Posted By: dan_the_man blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/21/06 07:26 PM
hey everyone i was was just wondering if anyone has run a power conditioner with their system .. and if it will make a diffenence for a mere $550 used from a very reputable dealer in my home town with my existing system of a sr-6300(marantnz), m-60's, vp100, and qs4's + a 20-39 pc +.

any input is welcome, i currently have a monster hts 1000 power bar that is suppose to have noise supression, but not at all like a true power conditioner.

Or do you think that i am getting into the snake oil part of the hobby? I's be interested to hear your thoughts on this , greatly appreciated

sincerly,
dan the man.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/21/06 07:31 PM
To be honest Dan, this subject has been discussed frequently on this website, I'm sure a search for "line conditioners" would pull back results.

Personally, I use the Tripp Lite HTPowerber10 and could not be more happy. It offers great surge protection and yes I do believe the line conditioning/monitoring or whatever you want to call it actually does something. It monitors amperage and keeps the voltage constant at 120v with no fluctuation on the circuit.

I'm not sure I'd spend that kind of money though. Your HT1000 is probably fine for protection. I'd spend the money on other important things on your "Want" list.
hey sir quack thanks for your quick reply... the only problen with this is that i have a serious case of upgradis and no idea what to spend on next!! I can't be done.. i refuse to think that way lol!
Posted By: ratpack Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/21/06 07:55 PM
Unless you live in an area that has severe problems with line voltage and fequency, you just don't need this conditioner. Your equipment power supplies are designed to handle modest fluctuations.

In most cases, power conditioners are hyped to to sell them not because they are needed.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/21/06 08:23 PM
Not a problem Dan, maybe you should upgrade to M80's, Qs8's, or even an EP500/600 Or heck, by a front projector

In my opinion, it is not all hype. Tripp Lite and some of the other companies have been around longer than some of these people have been alive. I don't think it is all snake oil products.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/21/06 08:25 PM
There's no doubt that line conditioners do what they're supposed to do -- you are getting what you pay for. It's whether you need them that's in question. It doesn't need to be snake oil to be unnecessary in some cases.
my promlem is that how do i judge what is nessary?

I had a Fluke demo with my work, that in the area of thd with reguards to a 120 sine wave that there is an average of 18.7 percent thd. Is that a real measurement? or is it a demo measurement, but on the same token they weren't focused on speaker measurements, but with glitch capture for industial..

And does it even matter with reagrds to the sr-6300 and the monster power bar?, which i already own...

hey for 550 i might be able to bi -wire my m-60's lol, i know that is a sore spot too.. but the power conditioner seems in my humble opinioon an upgrade that seems reasonable, its too bad the dealer that i am dealing with won't let me have it for a couple hours in the afternoon and do some A and B tests.....

that would be "gooder"!

Posted By: Spoiler Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/21/06 09:31 PM
You're hoping to hear a difference when you A/B them? You won't. Well, you may, if you believe...

Whatever that distortion figure you were shown means, whether it's even true or significant, would be taken care of by the receiver's electronics. IMO, anything beyond a good quality surge protector is unnecessary. But it sho looks cool!

Posted By: ratpack Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/21/06 10:03 PM
Where do you live?

In my home town, I have a friend who works for the utility company. He tells me that their goal is to keep the voltage to within 1 volt at my meter. With regulation anything near that do I need a conditioner? Certainly not!

There is an abundance of snakeoil on conditioners. Buyers beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: JohnK Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/22/06 02:34 AM
Yes Dan, "power conditioners" for audio equipment are members of the snake oil fraternity. The power supply section of amplifiers has a transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors which supply clean DC for the amplifying section to use; this is all the "conditioning" necessary. Since this is one of "The ten Biggest Lies in Audio" , which The Audio Critic covered, it's appropriate to cite the article again.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/22/06 03:20 AM
Good article JohnK, the Audio Critic seems like it might be worth 12.95 for their online subscription.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/22/06 03:43 AM
I think the term "Power Conditioning" is a loose term. Just like the words bright, harsh, laid back, etc., it can mean different things to different people. I will tell you this, I've had personal experiences in the past with various brands of projectors in combination with my other AV equipment.

Many of you refer to these as ground loop issues;vertical banding and other artifacts in the picture and/or sound. I can't say that I've ever noticed much if any difference in the sound after incorporating my TrippLite device. However, I will argue the fact that my Picture has improved greatly. This is true of VCR fed material, as well as DVD and/or television broadcasts.

I even have a dedicated 12-2 line, just for my AV stuff, running directly from the breaker box. I'm not sure if a lot of you provide feedback based on actual experiences or just articles you've read online, but I can tell you this Snake Oil product I bought does improve things for me, it is not all in my head.

Since we like pointing to links, I found this article recently that supports my findings.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_2/ps-audio-upc-200-power-conditioner-6-2005.html

I also read an article once I can't find anymore which was written by Steve Williams, a Divisional Regulatory Engineer for APC supporting my findings.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/22/06 04:20 AM
Randy, another good article, I know my conditioner has improved my satellite picture by running the Sat cable through it, I can't say I've heard any difference in sound, but then again I've never done any comparison.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/22/06 04:33 AM
Thanks Mike.
Posted By: dakkon Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/22/06 06:52 AM
In some conditions a line conditioner can hurt your home audio system, due to the fact that the conditioner is filtering the incoming power, and if you system has a sudden demand for more power, your conditioner still is going to condition the in coming power, rather than your components just sucking the extra power they want out of the wall socket..

I have to agree with rat on this subject.

Posted By: Spoiler Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/22/06 11:28 AM
Here's a quote from mdrew, from the 'Belkin PureAV PF60 prices down again' thread:
In reply to:

Do you guys that are using these ever notice that the DB is lower? Maybe I’m imaging things, but I was just re-routing cables for a new rack and I could swear that when I’m powering everything through the Monster 3500, I can twist the volume knob around further and have the same volume as a lower twist without it. No difference is sound that I can detect, but man it sure seams a tad lower.

He may indeed be imagining it, but it's interesting that the effect he's experiencing probably came up unexpectedly when concentrating on something else in his system... and also interesting considering a line conditioner owner would expect only benefit from the product. Just my observations.

It seems that in certain situations involving video problems, some folks (sirquack) have been helped by his Tripp-lite HT POWERBAR10 (I assume that is still what you use?).. but I noticed that even Tripp-lite doesn't list the unit in their 'line conditioner' section on their web site. There are no claims of 'conditioning' in the product description. It is a high quality surge suppressor with filtering, which is what I'm considering.

My point is that spending multi-hundreds of dollars on 'line conditioners' IMO, is overkill. In mdrew's case, perhaps even possibly affecting audio available power / dynamics? Just speculation on my part, but interesting nonetheless.

Posted By: ratpack Re: blue circle mr-12000 line conditioner? - 04/22/06 02:10 PM
Ground loop problems can be very difficult to solve and if a power conditioner solves your problem that is GREAT.

But, the vast majority of power conditioners are simply not needed, they are oversold.

One other thing to consider is that the reason that the powerbar Tripplite surge protector works so well is that YOU HAVE A COMMON POINT GROUND FOR EVERYTHING. That is one of the keys to eliminating group loops, a good common ground.
it does look cool!!!

but yes i was hoping for an A/B comparison.

I kinda figured that it was alot of bullshit, but i was hoping for a different answer.
btw thanks for all the reading, Really good articles guys.

© Axiom Message Boards