Axiom Home Page
Posted By: kjs Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 05:34 PM
Help - my son turns 13 today. Is this the same child who just yesterday (or at least seems like it) was wastching his favorite movie "The Little Wormaid"? Yes, he actually thought they were saying wormaid and he loved Ariel. I digress . . .

Anyway here's the scoop. He is dying for an iPod to load up a few tunes. I went online to BB and CC just to see what was available. He wants the Nano 1gb which is selling everywehre for $149.99. It says that 1gb will hold about 240 songs. Also, his grandparents want to add to this by getting something "ipodish". I think that there are bases you can put them in that have some small speakers. Thoughts, anyone have either? I think 1gb should be big enough, but I just don't know. Thanks for the help
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 05:40 PM
If you are not in a great rush try here. LINK
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 05:46 PM
Buy the kid a 5 gigger and teach him not to compress his music so much!

I know; not helpful. I know nothing about iPods but something about compression!
Posted By: kjs Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 06:06 PM
there's a 4 gb for $249 - I love the boy to death but $249???? Since I won't be listening to the stuff he may just have to deal with the compression. At 13 if I don't tell he won't know
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 06:12 PM
I think that the Ipod Nano would be good enough for starters. He can upgrade to something bigger if he ever needs to. But as a present for a 13 years old I think the Nano would be apropriate. That's just my opinion of course and I tend to be kinda frugal (I guess my wife would disagree somewhat... )
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 06:35 PM
OK.... get him the Nano but tell him it's a special, high-quality, 120-song Limited Edition!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 07:08 PM
First, you definitely need to buy a case for the Nano. It may not be something he'll get excited over, but they are very prone to scratching. As far as anything else goes, I'm clueless. But if I were buying one for myself, I'd definitely change out the stock earbuds for something that sounds better.
Posted By: Jordan Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 07:18 PM
The one gig Nano will be a great present for him.

They are meant to be portable music devices not something that you store your entire music collection on. I find the stock ear buds to be ok. I also second the notion about getting a cover for it. I think that they come with them now anyhow don't they?

All the best,

Jordan
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 07:34 PM
Nano!
Posted By: kjs Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 07:44 PM
Then the special, limited edition nano it is. Gonna tell wifey it's the Nano LE.
Posted By: kjs Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 07:51 PM
Thanks you guys, I am headed to BB. No wait, not BB going to Target . . . Friday PM, 93degrees, have the pool need beer. Ok, it's settled Target for the Nano, cover, some other "iPodish" thing - Mother inlaws word not mine - and liquid refreshments.
Amazing how a plan comes together

Thanks all - have a great weekend
Posted By: kjs Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 07:52 PM
Oh, and ribs. Can't forget the ribs

and ice cream can't forget the ice cream - anybody had Blue Bell?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 07:57 PM
Quote:

anybody had Blue Bell?

You had to remind me, didn't you? This one time in college I was on a date and .... oh oh OH! Blue Bell!

Never mind....
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 08:04 PM
Man I can't believe what kids get these days. Whatever happened to giving them a basketball and shooting some hoops.

Happy B'day to your little man.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 08:09 PM
Peer pressure gets translated to kid-->parent pressure. Such is the way of things....
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 08:16 PM
Don't go to the dark side...
Posted By: sonicfox Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 08:40 PM
Quote:

. . . Friday PM, 93degrees, have the pool need beer.

Beer? Is this a party for your son or an excuse to have a party for yourself?
Posted By: kjs Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/26/06 11:40 PM
The party is tomorrow, this is the it's Friday and beer, bbq and blue bell sounds good kind thing.

I think I got a bag of socks and a package of underwear for one of my bday's. Allright, I cracked under the pressure. School is out for the summer down here and he did very, very well this year. Honor awards for science, math, band and social studies, 2 athletic awards and honor society.
He is getting a 1 gb nano, grandmother got him a logitech base for the room. Kind of neat, 6 small speakers and doesn't play too loud.

And BTW his cake is a blue bell ice cream cake - double dutch chocolate for one layer with homemade vanilla as the other layer with chocolate and strawberries on top. Ummmm, self induced sugar coma
Posted By: snakeyes Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/27/06 11:08 AM
My daughter is 9 and i struggled with buying her an ipod for christmas because i felt she was to young. but i reasoned it that she listened her $20 cd player all the time and they kept breaking. its also hard for a 9yo to keep their cd's scratch free. so i looked at some of the cheaper mp3 players but the value was not there sure it was only $50 but she would outgrow it to fast i thought. to add to it im the type of father that buys my daughter stuff she does not even ask for becuase i would have wanted it as a kid(we didnt have a lot of $$).anyway i settled on the 2Gb nano(they did not have the one gb at the time). She loves and appreciates it so as long as your child will appreciate it and use it i say get whatever he'll get the most use out of. YMMV
Also in my case no other kids in her class had an ipod. and she really had no idea what an ipod was she just wanted something that did not need cd's so no peer pressure just me again going for what i would have wanted
Posted By: keend0 Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/27/06 11:38 AM
Go the cheap route. Kids that age tend to loose things quite often.
Posted By: varkha Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/30/06 03:39 AM
Oh don't tell. My 12 year old came back home today without a bag that she left on a bus. Phone, 20GB iRiver and a book of bus tickets. I hope it gets recovered by a driver or so - the kid uses the same bus every day.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/30/06 10:40 AM
Second that on kids that age loosing things; Woah!

Rich.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/30/06 10:45 AM
Quote:

Oh don't tell. My 12 year old came back home today without a bag that she left on a bus. Phone, 20GB iRiver and a book of bus tickets. I hope it gets recovered by a driver or so - the kid uses the same bus every day.

I hope all the stuff gets returned; that can be traumatic.

My Grandkids leave stuff on their schoolbus so often that I was considering having the school put in individual lockers for each of them.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 05/30/06 11:23 AM
Hopefully things will turn out OK.
Posted By: varkha Re: Help! present for my 13 yr. old - 06/01/06 12:08 AM
All came back thanks to the bus driver. The kid is happy .
© Axiom Message Boards