Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gsblant Sub-woofer woes.... - 09/23/02 03:49 PM
I have some performance questions concerning the EP125. Here is some back ground info. I have the Axiom Mini system and have had it for about 6 months now. I am using a Sony 975 receiver. I mainly use the system for watching movies, mainly action, drama, and sci-fi. I have set up the sub controls so that the volume is at about 40% and the frequency respone control is at about 100 Hz.

Well, here is my problem. While I was watching "We were Soldiers" I heard my sub start to really struggle with some of the sound. I guess the best way to explain it would be as if the speaker was stuttering or pulsating during about 2/3 of the movie. I tried playing with the sub controls by reducing the volume and/or the frequency response but the problem only went away when I had the volume way down. I want to say that I am over driving the speaker, but I watch other "explosive" movies at the same volumes and don't run into this problem. What am I doing wrong??? Am I pushing it to hard? Or, expecting to much from the sub? What can I do to resolve this besides listening to the movie with barely any sound coming from the sub???

I appreciate any input that is offered.
Posted By: Patchwork Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 09/23/02 08:25 PM
I experienced the exact same difficulties with my EP125 while watching Lord of the Rings. It sounded like the woofer was trying to jump out of the box! I adjusted the volume all the way down to about 20% and then it sounded better, but the volume was far too low.

Black Hawk Down also gave me similar difficulties, but not as grave. I do not know of a way to avoid these sounds, however I am sure they occur because the volume of the track for the subwoofer is high and the sounds are deeper than the EP125 can reach.
Posted By: gsblant Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 09/23/02 10:10 PM
Yup, that is exactly what I saw. I even took the cover off of the sub and just about freaked out because I thought I was going to blow it or do some kind of damage to it. Because of this I have been thinking about upgrading the sub, but unfortunately it is not in my budget right now...
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 09/24/02 04:06 AM
Do a quick search for "port chuff" and you will see a thread that was posted within the past month or two on my experience with the EP350.
There was some good info in that post the link
Posted By: gsblant Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 09/24/02 03:07 PM
Thanks for the link. Alot of good info. I will toy with the receiver's sub output DB setting, and I will check to see if my receiver has the capability to keep from over driving the sub. I will have to see if my sub does it as well for the Lord of the Rings DVD. I know that it does it for Star Wars Episode 1 during the pod racing scene just as they start the engines.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 09/24/02 10:15 PM
Then try U-571...You won't be disappointed.
Posted By: MCodanti Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 09/26/02 08:28 AM
I tried LOTR with my JBL PB12 and I didn't hear any port chuff. Just how loud did you have it? I had the windows rattling and everything.

BTW you can get the PB12 for $270 (with free 2 day shipping) from B&H Photo. So far a very nice sub for the price.
Posted By: Marc_in_Ottawa Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 10/02/02 06:35 PM
These movies are getting expensive.
After watching Lord of the Rings and Monsters,Inc. I have come to the realization I need a new sub. Both these movies bottomed my current sub out, even with the LFE backed off 3dB.
Posted By: MCodanti Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 10/02/02 06:37 PM
Marc, so what do you have for a sub that needs replaced?
Posted By: Marc_in_Ottawa Re: Sub-woofer woes.... - 10/02/02 09:36 PM
It's an Energy S8.2. Not a bad little sub but totally out it's league with the rest of my gear. I got in a sales incentive program a month or two ago.
© Axiom Message Boards