Axiom Home Page
Posted By: muttsinparadise QS8 mounting / wiring options - 10/21/06 08:47 AM
Aloha Axiomites: Have a few questions re: mounting & wiring for the QS8's. I remember reading in at least one post that it isn't necessary to angle these surrounds down toward the listening area. Wondering if any of you have found it advantageous to do so. If not, is there any advantage to using the FMB over the T-mount with regard to wiring options (i.e., more room to connect with banana plugs). Big mahalo for the help as I get ready to pull the trigger on purchase.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: QS8 mounting / wiring options - 10/21/06 10:16 AM
When I originally mounted our QS8's I had bought FMB's for them, Once I got one mounted I decided they stuck out too far, I ended up taking off the binding post plates for all the surround speakers and using the supplied bracket. They look much better. I used bare wire into the posts so theres no bannana plugs sticking out or anything.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: QS8 mounting / wiring options - 10/21/06 01:35 PM
I have a few pictures on my website that show my DIY mounting for my Q's. Nothing more than some nice "L" shaped shelf brackets from Menards with black plastic covers to conceal the wires. They are mounted to a bump-down area where I boxed in our heating/cooling duct work. I would say the bottom of my Q's are about 7ft off the ground and they work great.

http://porterplex.googlepages.com/porterplexpics
Posted By: muttsinparadise Re: QS8 mounting / wiring options - 10/22/06 09:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Brandon, if your surrounds are still hanging after the ground shaking last weekend, I'm guessing the t-mount is all that's needed.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: QS8 mounting / wiring options - 10/23/06 02:23 AM
Yeah, The supplied bracket is very secure. They are even kind of hard to get off when you want to!
Posted By: Nachosgrande Placement options - 10/23/06 01:42 PM
How high above ear level are you placing the Qs8's? I am testing the QS8 at different positions before I mount them. I am considering placing them at just above ear level. Not sure about movies (yet), but for music the tweeters are about level and provides a consistent soundstage.
Posted By: muttsinparadise Re: Placement options - 10/24/06 04:29 PM
In my room, I have more mounting options for the sides than the rears. Sides I'm mounting at about 5 1/2 ft (too many dogs and cats for ear level) and rears about a foot below the ceiling. I'm planning on suspending the center above the tv by steel cable...
Posted By: HAY Re: Placement options - 10/24/06 06:15 PM
Quote:

I'm planning on suspending the center above the tv by steel cable...

I want to see a picture of this!
Posted By: muttsinparadise Re: Placement options - 10/24/06 10:52 PM
Me too. Still conceptualizing how to do it. I take it that this may not be a good idea ?
Posted By: HAY Re: Placement options - 10/26/06 06:18 PM
I found something for you, user MIKEY has done this...

Hanging system

Pics
Posted By: muttsinparadise Re: Placement options - 10/27/06 12:32 AM
Thanks Hay. That's pretty close to what I had in mind. Hard to tell from the MIKEY's photos, but it looks like he attached his chains directly to the speakers. I was thinking of suspending a shelf with rubber bumpers to contain the speaker so that I wouldn't have to screw anything directly into the speaker, and I would guess, nullify the warranty. Sound like a good idea ?
© Axiom Message Boards