Axiom Home Page
OK, I'm tossing around the idea of switching to a different speaker finish. My wife never really liked the Mansfield Beech from the git go, so I've been given the go ahead to change.

I'm really having a hard time deciding so I was wondering if I could get some poll help, or any other feedback you want to give.

Here are some things we have been discussing:
*it might be cool to get a darker color that would disappear against the black wall when watching a movie, so you would only be focused on the screen. The Mansfield Beech color is pretty light and easily noticed.

*it might make more sense to find a finish the compliments our existing trim and not worry about getting a dark color. Buffalo Oak appears to be pretty close of a match.

*heck, lets get crazy and have some contrast in the room, and go with one of the other colors.

Please take my poll and/or reply with any questions or advice. Thanks Randy

One note about the below pictures, the camera I use is not very good. The Mansfield Beech speakers are much lighter than the trim we have, the pictures don't really show that problem.

I voted for the Buffalo Oak. Looks like it would be a good match with the decor. I'm a big fan of finishes that show off the speaker. I like to see what I spent my money on. On the other hand, it makes sense to have them in black, especially in a dark theater room.

Will the new mains be M80s ?
Yeah Randy, go with the oak or pear, whichever you think is the better combination of matching your wood trim and looking good on its own. I can't see(literally I suppose)picking the finish to blend into the background.
I picked the Oak and the Pear. I have a sample of the Cherrywood, and I really dislike it. It's very orange.
Thanks for the input so far gentlemen!

John, many people that have dedicated HT's like to tune out distractions by painting the walls darker colors and controlling ambient light. This gives you a better theater experience, in addition to controlling light spill from the projector. This is the reason I'm considering the Ebony or Charcoal, to reduce the awareness of the speakers.

On the other hand, I do like the "Richness" of some of the other colors, even some I didn't mention above. To be honest, if there is not a perfect match I'm not to concerned. There is nothing wrong with a little contrast.
Hey Sean, I'm with ya, I think it would be a pretty close match. If we decide we want something as close as possible, it would be the Buffalo.

Rick, not sure I'll be able to swing the 80's, a lot depends on what I do with the sub situation. A 600 or 2 500's keeps calling my name in my dreams.
Thanks Ken, that is input I really need. The website pictures look really nice for the Cherry Wood. Cherry often looks very rich.

That was one my wife really liked, ha ha....
You know, order a bunch of samples and see how they look in your room. I believe the money you spend can be used as credit towards the speakers. That way you are not taking any chances.
You do get the money as credit to the speakers. It's like getting a discount! Or something. If you're good at fooling yourself.
i really like the Charcoal Smoke. blends in and stands out, if that makes any sense.
Quote:

blends in and stands out, if that makes any sense.

Yes and no.
Good one, Sean!
Wow! 88 views and only 14 poll votes? (2 of them are mine as I had to vote to see the results)

Thanks for those that have voted so far, keep the votes coming.

Pretty Please.....
High gloss cherry. I know it is not on the poll but i have been drooling over them for a week or two. wish i could trade in my existing. BTW Randy what are you doing with your existing speakers?
Jake
Hey Jake, thanks for responding. In regards to the HG Cherry, they are really cool, but I had a few concerns. First of all, they would be to reflective when watching movies in the darkened room. Right now, the mansfields reflect some light from the projector, I think the HGC would be worse. Secondly, they are available for a limited time, until they are discontinued. Becuase there is now a Wood HG Cherry available, this finish will be phased out soon. If I ever want to buy another sub, or upgrade to 100's when they come out, , the finish won't be available.

In regards to my speakers, I have a few friends interested in them if I can ever make up my mind.
Yeah thats a good point ion your poll i voted for the warm cherry wood.as you can tell im partial to cherry wood in all varieties.i personally would not go with black as much as you want agreat movie experiance it is also a "rec room" and you still want it to be stunning when people come over with the lights on. just my 2cents
I went with Charcoal, looks like a REALLY cool color and would blend in well with your theatre. Especially since your front wall is painted black.

And it would reduce any reflection from the screen onto the darker color so, like you said, you can watch the move without the distraction of the speakers.

Concerning your M80s and your 2 EP500s...

If you just went via the factory outlet and got black oak as a finish, it would blend well with your front wall and be a darker color, AND you could probably swing the M80s with 2 EP500s...

Just a thought
Quote:

If you just went via the factory outlet and got black oak as a finish, it would blend well with your front wall and be a darker color, AND you could probably swing the M80s with 2 EP500s...

Just a thought

Hmmmmm, now that is a good idea
I can’t vote…I don’t like the choices so I’d just be voting against one of the others I like less. Kinda like voting for presidents lately…..

I’m partial to the rosewood myself. I think they are gorgeous. You could get them in a dark stain with a satin finish and I think they’d not be too noticeable when watching movies, but very noticeable when the lights are on. For your reference, I can’t see my boston cherry speakers at all when I’m watching movies. I only say that so you don’t think you HAVE to go with a black or real dark speaker. I could take some dark room photos for you if you wish. Just let me know.
Thanks Robb, well my wife really didn't care for the black oak look, so that is why I'm looking at the custom shop.

Mike, thanks for your input, however I don't think that color would work for my room as it would contrast to much from our current colors. I can't afford the custom wood choices with my upgrade sub need.
>>well my wife really didn't care for the black oak look, so that is why I'm looking at the custom shop.

To tell you the truth, I don't really dig the wood grain in a black stain.

I as well would prefer a solid vinyl black (like the Ebony or the Charcoal) with no wood grain on it if I too were looking at black and not planning to go via the factory outlet.

You actually have ME thinking about this now...that Ebony and Charcoal look mighty fine.
This is reallly interesting! I voted before I read the comments (worried about spoilers, you know) which made it even more interesting to see what other people thought!

Ken, we just had four people from SoundStage! up, doing a factory tour and critical listening, and when they saw warm cherrywood and sorrel pear on the line they were really impressed with them. Maybe it's a regional thing? For example, people who order light maple with black grilles almost without exception live in the southern US. Northerners go tan.
Randy, the ebony finish is going to absolutely disappear in your theatre. The only way you will know the Axioms are there is when you hear them.
Do they look cool with the lights on? Many times I have people shooting a few games of pool and cranking up the tunes, I want them to admire my speakers.
Quote:

Do they look cool with the lights on? Many times I have people shooting a few games of pool and cranking up the tunes, I want them to admire my speakers.

With the grills off, the drivers are going to look like they are just floating in the air. Otherwise the only thing anybody will have to admire will be the beautiful music because there is no way the ebony finish is going to be visible against that black wall you have. Oh wait... I forgot to tell you that Axioms with the ebony finish sound better than Axioms with all the other finishes, they must use some extra special crossover or something.
Quote:

Randy, the ebony finish is going to absolutely disappear in your theatre. The only way you will know the Axioms are there is when you hear them.

There's always the real wood shop with the custom F117 paint.

Bren R.
Randy,

You've got a tough one here. It was tough for me and I had it narrowed down to only 2 before having to decide. I think the oak matches closest to your trim, but I think black or charcoal would still look very cool in your room and give you that added "stealth" benefit during movies.

See if you can narrow it down to 2 and then get the samples to help.

I'm excited to see what you get.
Quote:

I know you have recessed lighting in your room, you could sacrifice a couple of the lights and direct them towards your speakers at the front...for the lights on effect.
I do have recessed canned lighting, however, they are not adjustable. The 6 lights I have in the HT area are on a dimmer system. I also have a wireless remote so I can dim up/down the lighting after a movie so people don't trip over their popcorn.
Quote:

I do have recessed canned lighting, however, they are not adjustable. The 6 lights I have in the HT area are on a dimmer system. I also have a wireless remote so I can dim up/down the lighting after a movie so people don't trip over their popcorn.

Perhaps there is probably another model of can light with the same dimensions as the ones you have that can be directed? Get 2 of those so you can direct light on your....M80s?
Really it is not required, the 3 canned lights I have near the front stage are right above the L/C/R and Sub, so they provide plenty of light.
Well, so far the results are favoring Ebony, which suprises me somewhat. For some reason the POLL made me vote also a couple of times, so if I take away my votes here we are:

Buffalo Oak 8
Charcoal Smoke 8
Ebony 12
Warm CherryWood 9
Sorrel Pear 6

I may have Axiom send me some samples. Thanks so much for your input. Keep it coming.
I vote for bare MDF. I'm a purist! Nobody should have to hide behind veneers.

I'm going to go run around outside naked. Look for me on the news. . .
Quote:

I'm going to go run around outside naked. Look for me on the news. . .

Was it just a short spot? *rimshot*

Bren R.
Left myself open for that one. . .
Heh... had to dig out the samples to make sure I was talking about the right one. Yup--too orange for me (or at least the room). Of course, none of the wood in my room matches--I ordered the Vermont Maple after comparing the sample to my entertainment center in bad light!

Oh yeah, and my vote on the tan grill vs. black grill thing? Tan is icky.
I have always liked the Sorrel Pear. If I had it to do over again I would have chosen that finish. I think that it would look good with your trim as well. Good luck in your quest.
Check out Cinnamon Beech and Sorrel Pear. Burnt Sienna grilles are a nice combo with either finish.
thanks everyone, well I have some samples on the way with various grill color combinations. I'm looking forward to see what applies to the WAF.

Here are the results so far, minus my votes...

Buffalo Oak 11
Charcoal Smoke 8
Ebony 15
Warm Cherry 9
Sorrel Pear 8

So anyone could win.
Randy, I think the wife would like the M80's

Wid, your "Randy needs m80's club" just keeps growing. lol
Well folks, a decision has been made. After receiving some very lovely samples from Axiom, I have decided to go with Ebony w/black grills. The other colors were very nice, but just did not compliment the current trim in the room. The Buffalo Oak was to light, and not much darker than my current mansfield beech speakers.

Anyway, the Ebony was very cool, at least on the sample. It will look great with the lights turned on, and will totally disapear against the black front wall during movie watching.

I've got about 3-4+ weeks to wait for them to be built by the custom shop. I'm going crazy. In regards to the sub, I decided on upgrading to the EP600.
I think you'll be happy with the 600, and it saves you a little bit- If you remember that was my original vote. I think you should name your new sub Pedro, since I voted for him. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Congrats!

>>I decided on upgrading to the EP600.

Congrats on ordering your new speakers..

Just curious, what made you go with the EP600 over 2 EP500s? Or were 2 EP500s not an option?
Congrats! So what are you going to do with your current speakers?
Yep, two ep500's versus one ep600 was one of the things I've been trying to consider for weeks. After talking to many many people (sub gurus) I decided on the single ep600 for now. If I had a smaller room, and more problems with achieving a flatter freq, 2 500's would have helped. I want deeeeeeeper bass.

Nick, I've got a few guys at work interested in my current setup.
>>Yep, two ep500's versus one ep600 was one of the things I've been trying to consider for weeks. After talking to many many people (sub gurus) I decided on the single ep600 for now.

Well, another bonus is that, when you're ready, you can have 2 EP600s instead of 2 EP500s, only one more to go!
or one 600 and one 500 I've heard this combination is deadly...
© Axiom Message Boards