Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Bayne Will you buy Sherwood Newcastle from Axiom? - 01/17/07 03:49 PM
Now that Axiom has entered into a deal to sell Sherwood Newcastle products on their website, how many of you will consider taking advantage of this partnership? My understanding is that the website is currently being worked and will soon have all the Sherwood Newcastle info on it we need.

I’m in the market for a new receiver, and the new Sherwood Newcastle R-972 and R-982 models have me interested. I’ll be ordering an Epic 60/500 system in just a few weeks and was planning to buy a new receiver then, but after seeing what these new HDMI 1.3 receivers offer in terms of features and price, I’ve decided to wait until the fall to replace my 7 year old Yamaha RX-V595 receiver. Now when I place my order for the Epic speaker system, I’ll get a 5.1 set-up and wait until October/November to buy either the R-972 or R-982 and one or two rear centers to finally complete my home theatre sound system. For me, this is a great opportunity since I can do both at once and from the same company.
I will be interested in Axiom's pricing, as their cables and such are really nice, but way too expensive.
Absolutely, in fact I just did and the Sherwood newcastle R-771 is in my living room ready to be hooked up, alas, my basement won't be ready for another month. The price for the R-771 is about $750 CDN, less a 5% discount if you buy 5 items. I am told they are an excellemt match for my system (see sig). I will let you all know in mid to late Feb
I was just thinking the R-771 has everything I need. I'm still running a no DPLII AV receiver, so I'm light-years behind.

Depending on the price, I may consider buying from Axiom.
Quote:

I was just thinking the R-771 has everything I need. I'm still running a no DPLII AV receiver, so I'm light-years behind.

Depending on the price, I may consider buying from Axiom.

You and me both. My receiver doesn't even have component inputs. Just s-video and composite. I've decided to wait so I can have the most current generation of receiver on the market. Although I've really enjoyed my Yamaha, a good friend of mine has always sworn by Sherwood Newcastle. He has exceptional hearing and the ablility to pick out the smallest imperfection in audio, so I trust his judgement. Also, the good people at Axiom have suggested I go with one of their receivers, and I gotta respect a speaker company who backs certain receivers to get the best out of their product.
>>Absolutely, in fact I just did and the Sherwood newcastle R-771 is in my living room ready to be hooked up>>

???

Where the heck did you find them online on the website? Or are they selling through the phone?
I think he answered the question as "Will you buy Sherwood Newcastle?" I don't believe it was purchased from Axiom.
Yes, I looked at their website here after speaking with Axiom on the phone, and then I just called/emailed Axiom once I made my decision and got all my speakers and receiver through them. Very easy
I stand corrected
to be clear, I bought the Sherwood Newcastle R-771 receiver through Axiom.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Will you buy Sherwood Newcastle from Axiom? - 01/17/07 10:37 PM
I'm not familiar with "Sherwood Newcastle"....after going to their site, it struck me how MUCH the line looks similar to, AND specs out like......Yamaha.
Nah, they've been around for a long time. I don't see the similarity, though. Maybe superficially, in that they have knobs and doors on the high end ones, but if you look at the other products, they look nothing like the Yammies.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Will you buy Sherwood Newcastle from Axiom? - 01/17/07 10:56 PM
Their site said that they have been making products for many familiar name brand audio companies, I just thought...........anyway, they look good to me, and I am sure that they will be a good match for Axiom's line, (including their flagship speaker.........the M60).
Posted By: Wid Re: Will you buy Sherwood Newcastle from Axiom? - 01/17/07 10:59 PM
Quote:

including their flagship speaker.........the M60

Yeah, you keep trying that...
I had a look at Sherwood Newcastle R-972 I am getting really confused now, when I was ready to pull the trigger for Rotel RSX-1057 !! What do I do?!!

Besides, I have not been around this board for a while: wasn't Axiom supposed to come up with amps/receivers?
So where is information about this merger, I don't see anything on the link posted?

In regards to Axiom amps, not receivers, as far as I know they are still in design status by Tom and company.
I just read this from the Rotel forum:

.... I understand from the info that Kevin brought back from CES that there are no commercially available chipsets for hdmi1.3 that offer any real advantage over 1.1 at the moment and so the Denon and Sherwood Newcastle products are little more than mock-ups or 'statements of intent' at this stage .I guess Rotel could have shown a box that looked similar to the 1068 but with hdmi terminals and logos
on the front with DTS-HD and the like but the internal components just aren't available yet and this we were told is why Rotel didn't show any product.....
>>and the Sherwood newcastle R-771 is in my living room ready to be hooked up

I can't believe he's had the speakers & receiver for a week and hasn't hooked them up yet. I'm going over there tomorrow night to rip all the boxes open...
I'd help, but there is a couple thousand kilometers in the way...
Thanks

Good news, I dropped by this afternoon and all the speakers were sitting out in the living room. Not hooked up yet, but downstairs everyone was running power and speaker cables trying to finish before the drywall folks arrived, so I guess we can let that go just this once.

Dang, I should have taken a picture. Oh well...
Any updates on the Axiom Amp?

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/AxiomAudio2.php
Not that I have heard- however there was mention that there may be new product info in the Jan. Axiom newsletter, due out any day. This news could possibly be about the amps, or maybe just the new EP400 sub???
audioholics news

The axiom amp is 8 channels...is the 8th channel for a 2nd center
Very interesting article. I am going to read it a time or two to fully understand what they are trying to market.
© Axiom Message Boards