Axiom Home Page
Posted By: N24color seperate amp - 01/18/07 12:38 AM
I'm considering adding a seperate amp to my system. My question to you all is, would a 2-channel amp challenge the integrity of the sound for my 5.1 system or would a 5-channel amp be the way to go? In other words if I add power to my M-80's only and not to the other speakers would this be a mistake.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 02:18 AM
I have a similar concern. I will be watching this one!
Posted By: JohnK Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 03:19 AM
N, keep in mind that an amplifier doesn't force its power upon a speaker; the speaker draws only as much as it needs at the moment for a particular sound level, regardless of what the maximum capability of the amplifier may be. For a typical comfortably loud level for M80s this would be in the area of 1 watt, with split-second peaks drawing possibly 100 watts or more. You also calibrate the level of all the speakers to be equal, and again this is regardless of what the maximum power capacity of the amplifiers might be.

So, there's no basis for concern about sonic "integrity" if amplifiers with different ratings are used. Also, however, consider simply continuing to use a receiver to power everything, which is the cost-effective way to go in most cases; there's no special magic that a separate amplifier adds if the receiver amplifiers are doing the job already.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 04:21 AM
You're forgetting that the point to all this is the acquisition of MORE.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 05:59 AM
I think the others kind of missed your question. You can use a 2 channel amp just fine with a receiver to only power certain speakers (say, your fronts...). You just need to recalibrate in order to level match between the speakers.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 02:41 PM
I can now say that there clearly IS a difference in seperates versus AVR's no matter what Blind articles seem to state. I have been experimenting with various music and going back/forth between my Denon and Emotiva. At louder levels, say 95dB or more the music is more vibrant, fuller, and the soundstage seems to have more depth. Also, I've noticed that when I have the Denon at the same levels, I can't listen as long, almost like ear fatique or whatever. Not sure if this is contributed to distortion, less headroom, or whatever.

I think I've decided to go with what my perceptions are noticing, versus some article or white paper. Even at lower levels I can detect a richer sound and I'm sticking to that.
Posted By: Wid Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 02:54 PM

Another convert
Posted By: bugbitten Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 03:33 PM
Quote:

I think I've decided to go with what my perceptions are noticing, versus some article or white paper. Even at lower levels I can detect a richer sound and I'm sticking to that.

Amen!
Posted By: Hutzal Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 03:38 PM
hmmm..

Mabey I should get some monoblocks for my M22s? ...Actually, scratch that...I DO want to live to see tommorrow as my wife would certainly KILL me.
Posted By: thyname Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 06:54 PM
Quote:

I can now say that there clearly IS a difference in seperates versus AVR's no matter what Blind articles seem to state.

People are seeing the light...
Posted By: Haoleb Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 07:09 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I can now say that there clearly IS a difference in seperates versus AVR's no matter what Blind articles seem to state.

People are seeing the light...

I know, Talk about a breath of fresh air. I am constantly seeing folks mention that all cd players and amps sound the same. I really wonder if they have ever had the chance to compare for themselves. And even then, Just because one amp sounds the same as another doesnt mean they ALL do.
Posted By: RickF Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 08:02 PM
Brandon I was just cruising through your website, you have a gorgeous system and your photos are extremely nice ... great job!

I won't be trading my amp in for a receiver any time soon.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: seperate amp - 01/18/07 08:43 PM
Quote:

Brandon I was just cruising through your website, you have a gorgeous system and your photos are extremely nice ... great job!

I won't be trading my amp in for a receiver any time soon.

Thanks
Posted By: pmbuko Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 01:42 AM
With talk like this, 2x6 is going to feel comfortable posting again.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 03:12 AM
I'll have to put myself in with the amp camp, and I'll also throw in, when I upgraded from my Denon 1803 to my 3805 there was a noticeable difference in overall sound quality. Makes me wonder about the guys talking about expensive speaker wire and cables
Posted By: Ken.C Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 03:14 AM
Now, I'm curious--are you guys seeing these differences at lower volumes, such as 75dB or so? Or is it just in the high volume stuff? Because that makes more sense.
Posted By: Spoiler Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 11:30 AM
Having gone from the Denon 3805 to Outlaw monoblocks (for the M80's), I can say that most of the difference is at higher output. The sound is definitely cleaner at 90 - 100db's. I was expecting no difference at lower volume levels, but was surprised by my 1st impression of the monos, which was a somewhat of a 'fuller' sound in the lower frequencies, say 100hz down.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 04:34 PM
I would agree with what Spoiler said. Everything is cleaner at louder levels, and the additional power seems to expand the soundstage.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 04:54 PM
Ah, avoidance of the question...

What about lower levels? I almost never go above 80-85dB. (Yes, the M80s still sound good at those levels...)
Posted By: Hutzal Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 05:29 PM
Quote:

Ah, avoidance of the question...

What about lower levels? I almost never go above 80-85dB. (Yes, the M80s still sound good at those levels...)

You know,

In your unique room, with your unique acoustics (everyones room is unique), you will never know unless you order some separates
Posted By: Ken.C Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 05:30 PM
Ain't happening. Next!

Posted By: HomeDad Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 06:43 PM
Quote:

What about lower levels?

I can't honestly say about the lower levels, I really didn't compare and don't listen to low levels often.
Posted By: N24color Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 07:21 PM
Even at lower levels I can detect a richer sound and I'm sticking to that.

It seems to be mostly unanimous that seperates add a nice dimension to the overall sound vs.an AVR. If thats the case my current conclusion would be that if a 5-channel was used for HT there also would be pleasurable difference. Wow - you all seem to listen at very high levels - I rarely go beyond 75db
Posted By: thyname Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 07:58 PM
Quote:

Even at lower levels I can detect a richer sound and I'm sticking to that.

I second that. Again, this is for stereo only, don't have HT.
Posted By: BrenR Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 08:01 PM
Quote:

It seems to be mostly unanimous

On AVS, yes. Here, not so much.

Bren R.
Posted By: Wid Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 08:23 PM
There is a growing number of folks here that are using seperate amps also.
Posted By: BrenR Re: seperate amp - 01/19/07 08:33 PM
Quote:

There is a growing number of folks here that are using seperate amps also.

True, but I was refering to the "near unanimous" feeling that seperates add "a nice dimension" over any other form of amplifier circuit.

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards