Axiom Home Page
Posted By: vassillios Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/02/07 04:20 PM
Hiya,,

I have a room, 11.5 X 18.5, and am trying to decide which would be better for my and my wallet. Here are the particulars:

Receiver - 100 watts

Proposed placement:
Listening position distance from back wall - 3' to 4'
Listening position distance from side walls - 2' to 3'
Hieght from listening position - 4'

Is the 5hz difference betwteen the 2 even noticeable? My receiver is only 100 watts, so I can't see how i would gain over the QS4 by going with the 8's.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Posted By: larlane Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/02/07 07:48 PM
My room is smaller. I was certain the 4's would be fine. I bought the 8's for two reasons. 1)The difference in price (currently $112)was not huge. 2) I may move them to a bigger room later. So, I went for the 8's. Many people do the same when they opt for 80's instead of 60's. I stuck w/ 60's since there was a greater price difference.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/02/07 10:33 PM
larlane has answered the question but i will add that i concur.
The difference between the two will depend on your room size and budget.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/03/07 10:28 AM
And let's not forget the most important factor....WAF.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/03/07 12:09 PM
Forgive me, but what is WAF?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/03/07 12:28 PM
Wife Acceptance (or Approval) Factor
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/03/07 01:18 PM
My take... I've got the QS8's. Regarding your question about hearing the 5 hz difference in range... I seriously doubt it. If you were watching War of the Worlds at 100 db's and were able to switch between the two models on the fly (in a 5.1 or a 7.1 setup), my guess is you wouldn't be able to tell them apart sonically. Since you're concerned about the load on your wallet, I'm sure you would be happy with the QS4's.

The WAF shouldn't be a big deal... the 8's are only slightly larger. I chose them only because of the small price difference (actually smaller when I bought them) and because they matched the M80's in power handling.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/03/07 01:26 PM
Yep, I pretty much think that sums it up!!!
Posted By: vassillios Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/03/07 10:39 PM
Thanks all...not worried about the WAF...mentioned it to her today that I'm thinking about getting these (4 QS8's)...seeing as how my birthday is this month, she said said she would contribute some $$ towards them !!! This is a big deal considering the fact that i just dropped $2500 on a new 50" HDTV and denon receiver (of course i did sell my all grain brewing system to finance this stuff)....and she doesn't see the need for all this stuff...although she did admit the new tv is nice.

I can't wait to tell her that i also need a pair of m60's and a vp150

Posted By: bray Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/04/07 12:52 AM
Quote:

(of course i did sell my all grain brewing system to finance this stuff)

Hmm.
Ya make some Moonshine on the side?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/04/07 01:22 AM
Quote:

the 8's are only slightly larger

I was very surprised at how much bigger the 8's looked when mounted compared to the 4's. I found the 4's looked more like a surround should kind of easy to not look at them. The 8's on the other hand say look at me and listen.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/04/07 09:31 PM
beer...damn tasty beer at that...but alas, no more
Posted By: HAY Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/06/07 03:13 AM
Quote:

The 8's on the other hand say look at me and listen.

When I first got my QS8's I thought they were rather large as well. It's funny though, I've had 4 auditions and they all thought the 8's were small or smaller than expected...
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/06/07 04:54 AM
I just happened to have upgraded from the 4's to the 8's and still had the 4's when the 8's showed up. The extra inches are very noticeable side by side and the footprint on the wall was definately more noticeable.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/06/07 12:31 PM
Quote:

I just happened to have upgraded from the 4's to the 8's and still had the 4's when the 8's showed up. The extra inches are very noticeable side by side and the footprint on the wall was definately more noticeable.

perfect Jason, then you are most qualified to provide me with insight....

I plan to get a total of four surrounds to round out the 7.1 system. Was there a noticable sonic difference between the 2 speakers? My room is 10.5' x 18.5'; the room opens up to a smallish sun room to the right rear of the room. Luckily, there is a spot that will still allow me to place a right side surround. I've got pictures i can provide that would show the proposed placement and the room itself.

I also plan on upgrading my L/C/R channels to the M60's and VP150 at some point (slowly) in the future.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Help me choose...QS8 or 4 - 03/07/07 08:55 AM
Unfortunatley, My QS4's were back when when they had a different tweeter in them and they did sound a little different.Now that they have the same tweeter in all Axiom's I would imagine the sound is pretty much the same although I know my 8's do play lower for music than the 4's did, pretty much a perfect match for the 22's.
© Axiom Message Boards