Axiom Home Page
Posted By: drew8mc new review of the M80's - 11/01/02 05:12 PM
Enjoythemusic.com has a new review of the M80.

www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1102/axiomm80ti.htm

It's a mostly favorable review in the beginning which turns into an Axiom love fest.

Does anyone else find it really annoying when there are grammatical errors in these "professional reviews", which seems to only happen on the E-zines. All of these people are excellent at hitting the spell check button, but none of them seem to read their work. Come on! And these online mags gripe about not getting taken seriously.
Posted By: Semi_On Re: new review of the M80's - 11/02/02 07:53 AM
Ever published anything on the web before? It's a lot harder than it looks. Very few of these people are able to live off the revenue from the site as ad money has all but disappeared for web sites. As such, almost all reviewers for enthusiast technology are normal people with normal jobs that do reviews and the like because they enjoy helping the community. As such, they don't have all the time in the world to review their work and they don't have the money to pay dedicated editors to proof.

I only say this as I'm rather well known for the same problem. Readers of www.arstechnica.com are well aware of my inability to focus on my spelling errors.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: new review of the M80's - 11/03/02 03:20 PM
And somewhat off topic, Semi, do you think Ars will lose the Seti race to that cheating group?
Posted By: Semi_On Re: new review of the M80's - 11/03/02 04:16 PM
Not really. Last I heard, they were about 40 some odd days out from catching us. If it came down to it, we could pull members from all the other teams (Ars has DC teams for all the major projects) and seriously increase our output.

I'm not worried.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: new review of the M80's - 11/03/02 05:43 PM
Huh?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: new review of the M80's - 11/03/02 09:20 PM
Seti? Little green men? Are they talking to us?
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: new review of the M80's - 11/03/02 09:23 PM
Must be a Canadian thing...
Posted By: chesseroo Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 04:31 AM
You crazy kids not keep up on the latest tech talk?
ArsTechnica, a longstanding tech site, is leading in the SETI@home project standings (search for extra terrestrials).
seti@home website for anyone home computer ppl who want to join or chek out the info

Recently a European group (Finland?, i don't recall) starting catching up to the Ars team at an impossible pace and it was pretty much discovered there was a cheat going on.
I was asking about it since it is apparent Semi has the inside info on the Ars standings.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 04:44 AM
E.T.'s huh...Shall I forward the addresses of my entire in-law clan to your favorite team chess? How much money to the winning team?
Posted By: JohnK Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 04:57 AM
Jim, I suspect that they would reject your claim on the ground that true extra-terrestrials would have to be more civilized.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 05:01 AM
damn...

Thought I had the lottery won...

Is that in the rules...the civilized part?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 05:14 AM
In the words of Enrico Fermi, "Fine, so, where are they?"
Posted By: JohnK Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 05:24 AM
Yes Jim ; sorry. You're probably thinking of the slimy, abominable creatures you've seen in some science-fiction flicks, which naturally made you think of your in-laws. The committee would probably reason that something which was advanced enough to travel across light-years of space had to be better than that.
Posted By: jbzngowest Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 05:32 AM
Nah, I know better. The real E.T.'s are incredible. I can't wait to show them my Axioms.
Posted By: drew8mc Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 04:32 PM
I see this thread got a little off track this weekend. Back to the original topic.

I really don't care how much money these guys make or don't make. This has nothing to do with money. My point is if they have any pride in their work then they should proofread the articles before they are published. It doesn't take that much time, and I'm not talking about subtle grammar errors but glaring mistakes like repeating a word twice (a mistake that spell check will gloss over). These people are influencing money spent by consumers and if they expect the reader to take their comments seriously, then they owe those same readers a level of professionalism no matter if it's their fourth job and they haven't paid rent in 3 months.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: new review of the M80's - 11/04/02 05:16 PM
I have to agree here, An internet article with poor spelling just shows a lack on concern. No reason for it, it's just sloppy.
My views on spellin and grandmar in posts is a lot moore relacxed howevver.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: new review of the M80's - 11/05/02 04:53 AM
Haha,
Now that is jdust plane funnie there Fiord.

© Axiom Message Boards