Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ctown Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 09:02 PM
I just got my M22's from the factory outlet and noticed on one the vinyl on the front edge, approx 2" from the bottom is blistering and started to crack.

The other one has what looks like vinyl starting to peel at the bottom back corner.

Anybody ever have this happen to them??
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 09:37 PM
I saw on my M22s a VERY SLIGHT corner that may look like it was peeling, but I couldn't tell for sure. Other than that, my M22s are perfect in appearance.

-Hutz
Posted By: LT61 Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 09:59 PM
I'm Curious, as to why you made this post.......from what I understand, the factory outlet speakers are usually reported to be perfect.

When you buy from the factory outlet, you do run the risk of getting (by chance) a minor blemish, don't you think?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 10:20 PM
Quote:

I'm Curious, as to why you made this post.......from what I understand, the factory outlet speakers are usually reported to be perfect.

When you buy from the factory outlet, you do run the risk of getting (by chance) a minor blemish, don't you think?

I don't think a blemish like this is normal. I would contact Axiom. Can you take some pics?
Posted By: ctown Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 10:21 PM
Quote:

I posted this because I am curious if this is common. A minor blemish is what is on the speaker front edge, but I am wondering if the adhesive is going to slowly come loose and considering its only a week it will look like a 1981 plymouth reliant with peeled paint in no time.

It appears like the adhesive did not stick and its bubbled...but there seems to be a crack in it.

The vinyl coming off at the edge is not a minor blemish, but again maybe not the best glue job from what I can see.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 10:29 PM
Call Axiom, even for the Factory Direct it is not normal by all accounts.
Posted By: md55 Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 10:39 PM
My FO M22s had a very minor defect in the vinyl on a bottom corner of one of them, only noticeable if you pick it up and inspect looking for a flaw.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 10:52 PM
LT61, I'd guess the poster is concerned that this blemish falls outside the definition of minor. ctown, I'd contact Axiom directly with your concerns. What's happening may, indeed, fall outside Axiom's acceptable level of non-perfection for outlet speakers.
Posted By: Wid Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/15/07 10:56 PM
Quote:

LT61, I'd guess the poster is concerned that this blemish falls outside the definition of minor. ctown, I'd contact Axiom directly with your concerns. What's happening may, indeed, fall outside Axiom's acceptable level of non-perfection for outlet speakers.

Good advice, call Axiom.
Posted By: ctown Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/16/07 04:58 AM
Here is the one speaker that looks like the vinyl is starting to come loose at the edge.

web page

This is the blemish. There is a kind of air bubble under it. It doesnt look that bad, but I can feel the vertical crack and fear it will start to peel or crack further if not sealed somehow.
web page
Posted By: ZZen Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/16/07 05:07 AM
Hutzel - were your M22's new full price or factory 'B' orders?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/16/07 05:20 AM
First pick may fall under the OK level for FO line, as its at the bottom and rear of the speaker(shipping damage?). The second, I wouldn't want, it just looks like you said, the adhesive didn't take and really makes you wonder about the rest of the finish. Makes me rethink about my FO order.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/16/07 06:25 AM
Jason, no need to rethink at this point; don't worry about a problem that highly likely won't develop. The vast majority who've used the outlet(including me)have had great difficulty in finding any flaw.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/16/07 12:03 PM
Yeah ctown, I agree with JohnK. While those blemishes are more noticeable than others I've seen, I wouldn't worry about them getting worse over time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy knowing your speakers sound the same as factory-perfect M22s.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/16/07 01:50 PM
Quote:

Hutzel - were your M22's new full price or factory 'B' orders?

ya, my whole setup is from the FO

ctown,

regarding your blemishes, I def wouldn't like to have something like that, a peeling vinyl like that is worth at least 20% off. Its not minor by any means.

Let us know what happens with Axiom.

-Hutz
Posted By: ctown Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/16/07 03:23 PM
Yeah, the one is somewhat hidden on the back but looks like its the start of more of the seam coming loose. I might be able to live with it, but would have to get it sealed so the rest doesnt come off.

The blistering on the other speaker isnt that noticeable, but if the crack does open up the exposed MDF would look bad in contrast. Again, I would want to seal it somehow or replace it.

I'm starting to wish I just had a black matte paint on these like my 10 yr old Bose 201's.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/17/07 12:23 AM
I forgot you and I have 10 yr old Bose 201's, What a difference to the Axioms! I can't believe I actually thought the 201's sounded good when I bought them! I have become somewhat critical to other speakers if they are not as clear as the M22's. One of my friends recently purchased a full set of JBL's and I was watching a movie at his house and I kept thinking that the sound was quite muffled and lacked the detail I have come accustomed to.

Please give Axiom a call or at least an Email with the pics and see what they say, I know I wouldn't be happy with the blistered one at all, the corner damage I would expect at some point on a speaker if it were to sit on stand, as stands get knocked over once in awhile. The blistering, to me, is not acceptable even with a discounted price.

They say minor imperfections, some not really noticeable, well that blistering is not minor, the corner to me is borderline but acceptable. If I were to buy this from a retail store I would hope for 10% off the speaker with the corner damage but I wouldn't even think about buying the one with a truly bad finish.
Posted By: ctown Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/17/07 03:17 PM
jakewash, I know what you are saying. I have become a HD snob and can really notice the difference between an uncompressed vs highly compressed feed. I'm sure with time I will become equally as critical of speakers .

The corner vinly might have been loose and when I put the speakers on a bookshelf for a few days before I went out of town, it might have caused the chip.... or the chip was there from the start and I never noticed it. The blistering is more the start of more loss of adhesive as time goes on. When I end up wall mounting them downstairs the issues may be more visable. I still would hope the speakers would stand up to 1 week of ownership better.

I emailed the pics to JC @ Axiom on thursday night and hope to hear back next week.

BTW, this is what the current setup looks like with the kids toys and DVD's all over.

Posted By: ctown Re: Peeling and blistering vinyl? - 03/19/07 02:12 AM
The feedback from Axiom is to send these back. They are upgrading me to a pair of new M22's to replace these, for $23.00 extra. I'm happy with that.

The true test of customer service is the response when something goes wrong.
© Axiom Message Boards