Axiom Home Page
Posted By: axiom_man Magnitized grills - 04/07/07 10:31 PM
Ok, figured I'd Git-R-Done
took out the rubber thingies in the MT80's. I bought a metal rod and cut them so that it was sticking out the hole about 3/8" polished off the end smooth. then I took some poxy glue put it in the bottom of the hole and placed the rod in. The glue was enough to fill half og the hole when the rod was inserted. I then took my glue gun and finished filling the hole. After a night of drying I took my utility knife and trimmed up the edge smoothly.
then I sniiped off the little knobs from the grill sanded them down even, got my 1/4 " little round magnets and I poxy cemented them to the spots where those knobby's were. Now my grills just snap in place
total cost about $15
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Magnitized grills - 04/07/07 11:23 PM
Pictures!!!!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Magnitized grills - 04/07/07 11:40 PM
funny, mine snap in place already.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 12:23 AM
I wanted to post about this the last time the "magna-grille" subject came up.

I will be curious to see if over time, the grilles will "move".....either due to vibrations from loud music, or the occasional bump, and rub.

I actually think it's not too bad of an idea, but....I think if I were doing it, I would have fabricated an alignment "tit" on each steel piece, and an indentation on each magnet, so the grilles would not only stay on the speaker,......but stay straight as well.

If Axiom, for example was going to do something like this, I suspect they might re-design the grilles, and speakers so the magnets, and corresponding steel pieces would press in, and have the "tit" molded on one piece, and the indentation on the other.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 02:31 AM
I find it interesting how many people keep discussing this topic. I have never had a problem with any of the grills on either 7.1 set that I've owned. Do you guys take yours on/off frequently which may be causing your problems?
Posted By: LT61 Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 02:39 AM
I LIKE MINE JUST FINE!....I would not change a thing, personally. (nor did my reply indicate otherwise)

I do however, wish I could post at least ONE TIME without either offending, angering, confusing someone...or having to explain my post.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 02:52 AM
Larry, I'm confused, so please explain: you say that you wouldn't change a thing "personally". Does this mean that you might appoint a surrogate to make such changes?(Just kidding).
Posted By: LT61 Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:06 AM
JohnK,

Droll,...very droll.

Actually, I like the hypothetical. To imagine about magna-grilles...does not mean I don't like my M60's grilles, or they are giving me problems. (they are not)

OOPS, there I go.....explaining again.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:13 AM
I've noticed that my M22 grills really stick if I haven't taken them out after a while. It's almost as if the rubber conforms to the plastic insert...they make a "snap" sound when I pull them out. Not really an issue, but it just takes a big amount for force.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:14 AM
Not sure why you got all defensive, like I said this topic comes up often, and I was just curious. I was not pointing fingers at anyone, definately not you. You were the last one that posted in this thread, so I just Daisy Chained off of your by hitting reply.

ps: oh, by the way, when you type in all caps, that tells people your yelling.

peace out
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:16 AM
They are designed that way.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:25 AM

Yes, I know.
Posted By: Wid Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:28 AM

Hey Larry,

When are we going to meet up. Heck I would even let you buy me dinner
Posted By: LT61 Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:30 AM
Quote:

ps: oh, by the way, when you type in all caps, that tells people your yelling.

Yes, I know.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:30 AM
Rick, when you do, buy him a beer on me.
Posted By: LT61 Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:34 AM
Rick,

I'll send you a PM with my phone#....and we can make that happen.

The one of us, with the best sounding speakers....can buy!

Larry
Posted By: Wid Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:37 AM
Quote:

The one of us, with the best sounding speakers....can buy!

If that's the case I do recall you saying the M60s were the flagship speakers

Quote:

I'll send you a PM with my phone#....and we can make that happen

Sounds good to me.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 03:49 AM
I don't see the point - unless the rod was BEHIND the vinyl, so the speaker looks clean when the grills are off.

That would be sweet.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 04:11 AM
Since we're talking grills...my EP600 grill makes a whistling sound at high volume levels right around 20 Hz. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I should either take the grill off or turn it down?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 04:13 AM
Or turn the gain down from 12 o'clock. lol sorry just had to say that...
Posted By: HAY Re: Magnitized grills - 04/08/07 02:56 PM
Quote:

I will be curious to see if over time, the grilles will "move".....either due to vibrations from loud music, or the occasional bump, and rub.

Whoa, sounds like we have another port lover...
Posted By: axiom_man Re: Magnitized grills - 04/09/07 12:57 PM
I painted the tops black so you don't notice it . No different than the rubber plugs that were in there that you noticed when the grills are off. No they do not move with vibrations. I actaully got the idea from Energy Connissuers that I owned.

PS When I get my camera back from the friggin camera repair shop I will post a few pics. Hard to believe ...well maybe not but there is only 1 camera repair shop in Nova Scotia
Sirquack it just makes it easier to remove and snap into place. I hate lining up the plugs half the time the rubber comes out with the grill.
I remove them because I like the looks better, but when the small nieghboors child comes over or the friends or the grand children come over I put them on so little fingers don't poke.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Magnitized grills - 04/12/07 08:17 AM
Quote:

...I actaully got the idea from Energy Connissuers that I owned.

Those energy grills are very nice.
© Axiom Message Boards