Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Hutzal High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 03:13 AM
While watching the LOTR trilogy last saturday, which was awesome by the way, there were some scenes that had a VERY high pitch to them. Can't really descibe it, everything still sounded clear, but in some scenes a very high pitch was in the background. I couldn't get up to see which speaker was making the noise, I know it was the mains/centre channel.

Now, would this be a cause of the DVD player or the receiver? COuld this be a bad signal via optical from the DVD player? Or is it a bad amp? Just curious, it was so loud at times that it was giving me headaches. I asked my wife about it today, she didn't recall hearing it .

I know it wasn't just me...I would just like to know what the cause is. Is there anyway for me to narrow it down?
Posted By: JohnK Re: High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 03:36 AM
Yes; have your wife listen to determine where the sound is coming from.
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 04:08 AM
Wear earplugs?
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 04:08 AM
No, really...have you tried any other DVD's? Music DVD's?
Posted By: Hutzal Re: High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 01:33 PM
It HAS happened on other DVDs, I noticed it more on Return of the King. It happened often on ROTK, I thought mabey it was the 4ohm impedance of the centre channel being on all day long. So I turned down the volume about 5 db for ROTK, didn't seem to help. I also felt the amp on the top, it was warm to the touch, but not hot by any means. This is after a whole day of LOTR...

I might try another DVD player I have with a coaxial audio out, play the same scene I was noticing it in and see if that is the problem. I actually have a 5 year warranty return for any reason on my RX-V659. So I am going to wait until the replacement comes out next year, and take mine in for that high pitch squealing, and hopefully get a new model that has HDMI audio...

-Hutz
Posted By: Hutzal Re: High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 02:11 PM
I see the RX-V661 is out, has HDMI 1.2a...will this support TrueHD DD from HD DVD? Also, I currently have 100 watts/channel with my centre channel being 4ohms with 2 M2's wired in parallel...the new 661 is only 90 watts/channel, will this be able to handle my 4ohm load as good as my 659?

Question about Coaxial digital cable. Can this be a regular composite cable? I have tons of those kicking around...another alternative owuld be to take the coaxial cable I am using for my sub, and switch that with a composite cable...would that work?

Thanks all!
Posted By: alan Re: High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 03:40 PM
Hutzal,

Yes, you can use any coaxial composite cable for coaxial digital audio over normal lengths--a few meters, 6 feet or a bit--with no problems.

Regards,
Posted By: Hutzal Re: High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 04:14 PM
thanks Alan, I will try a different output from my dvd player tonite...
Posted By: chesseroo Re: High pitch from speakers? - 05/15/07 04:18 PM
It certainly sounds like something is getting in the signal path, be it interference from anything from long speaker cables picking up radio frequencies, to a power supply hum which could be from virtually any component (my computer monitor has a high pitched whine similar to the one on my mother's 27" RCA tv and a friend's 17" Flatron monitor...all from the power supplies) or a faulty DAC in the dvdp.
Switching out various components should help you to isolate the problem but don't forget to have a listen to anything that is plugged in, not just the dvdp and receiver.
© Axiom Message Boards