Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ray3 DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/21/07 11:21 PM
DirecTv has launched 2 satellites this year (the latest in July). This will enable them to begin beaming over 100 (their stated intent) new HD channels. According to the DirecTv programming forum at DBStalk.com, 70 of those channels will go live in September. DTV will also be able to add the locals in HD to the smaller markets. While they haven't gone nuts notifying existing customers about this, the notices should begin to happen relatively soon.

An equipment upgrade will be required to take advantage of the new HD programming; you won't be able to get it with your current equipment. The required equipment includes a 5 LNB slimline dish (most of those currently installed are 3 LNB) and either a new HD receiver (H20 or the soon to be available H21) or a HD DVR receiver (HR20 or the soon to be introduced H21). The newer equipment has been available for several months and DTV has been quietly installing it (it picks up the current sat signals).

I've been following this since the first of the year and decided to act today (ordered the dish, an HD receiver and a DVR), thinking I would avoid the rush. Well today I got a surprise in scheduling my upgrade installation. The EARLIEST date I could get was October 12th. I'll be calling the installer tomorrow to see if we can improve on that.

I am telling you this to make you aware of the pending logjam and give you the chance to get into the process and avoid a June install.

I hope it helps some of you.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/21/07 11:34 PM
Ray, Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 12:10 AM
Ray,

When will we find out about the channel selection?

It's not worth the change if Sci-Fi is SD.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 12:56 AM
Woohoo! I had DirecTv installed a couple of weeks ago. I know I have the 5lnb dish, and when I signed up there was a free upgrade to the HD receiver (checked, and it is the H20). So far, I'm really enjoying the HD content. Granted, there isn't a whole lot, but I don't watch that many channels anyway. I love National Geographic and Discovery. If more channels will be available, that would be awesome.

Thanks for the heads up, Ray!
Posted By: grunt Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 01:54 AM
Another thing to note is that if you already have had a H20 or HR20 for a while you may need to order B-Band converter(s). They give the details on their website. Just logon and go to “Latest News” > “Ready for more HD?”

I ordered my two last week and they arrived Fed Ex two days later. There was no cost for them.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 03:09 AM
Just ordered mine, my new 5LNB dish and HR20 will be installed Fri. Although he could not give me a new programming list, he did tell me A&E and the SciFi channel will be two of the first of around 100 new HD channels.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 05:07 AM
This is great news; thanks Ray and Michael.

Do you guys care to share what all this cost? I am an existing DirecTV customer. I've often heard they treat new customers better than existing ones.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 03:07 PM
Tom, I agree about them generally giving new customers a better deal, I would guess it depends on the type of equipment you already own, I believe without any type of exchange, to upgrade the dish and get the DVR HR20 you have to pay $298.00 for box and dish install, for a basic HD box with no DVR I beleive it is $99.00. HD programming is $9.99 a month in my case.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 03:12 PM
DBStalk has a posting that lays out the tenttive listing for the first 70 channels (including Sci-Fi and, of course - the Golf Channel).

As far as cost is concerned, I'll point you at DBStalk again here. They have a thread that details the deals folks have been able to get.

There is no cost for the installation, the dish, the b Band converters or and multi-switches that might be needed.

The go-in position with D* is as follows:
H20 = $99 + 19.95 shipping + tax
HR20 (DVR) = $299 + 19.95 shipping + tax

If you have been a long term customer in good standing, they will deal, but it may include asking to be connected to Customer Retention and you may need to call 3-4 times before you catch a deal you like. Some folks have waited for the prompt on the phone menu and said "Cancel" which gets a rep on the line immediately and there has been some success with that. Also, some folks have sent an email to start the ball rolling. I encourage you to get through that thread (I can't post it because I am on a different computer and don't have the URL handy).

Tom - to answer your question more directly, here is the deal I got (12 year customer):
H20 = 99 + 19.995 + tax and they will credit out the $99 charge on my next bill. Net is around $25 for the H20

HR20 = free.

The net cost of the upgrade/installation will be around $25. There is $5/month charge for the DVR service.

Also, the CSR told me I could upgrade the H20 (likely free) to an HR20 after 6 months.

One more tidbit. Apparently you can plug an external hard drive(USB) into the HR20 for more capacity.

I encourage you to get over to DBS talk and do some research. There is much more detail than I can provide here.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 04:06 PM
Ray, That's a sweet deal getting the HR20 for free I guess I should have haggled more
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 04:18 PM
Thanks, Ray. Want to make a few calls for me?
Posted By: Bill3508 Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 06:50 PM
Thanks for that info. Called just now and have an install coming tomorrow. H20or 21 installed. They took $75 off and free install.

Again, thanks for the heads up.

Bill3508
Posted By: nickbuol Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 08:04 PM
How much are you all paying for the HD service? I am on Dish right now with 4 TVs, 2 are on the same DVR box, no HD content. I have their 100 channel package, and with all service fees (not the tax) I pay $45.98 a month. I would love to get all 4 TVs on DVR and upgrade 1 to HD for my home theater, but I don't want to shell out $75 a month or something for TV.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 08:41 PM
I went out to try to figure out how "cheap" I could get the package to switch to DirecTV, and it isn't cheap at all.

From what everything is telling me, I need a seperate receiver for EACH TV, is that correct? Right now I have 2 receivers, and each receiver handles 2 seperate TVs (on seperate channels) at the same time. One of those is also a DVR, so I can start playing back a show in the living room at night, and then if it gets late, I can continue it up in our bedroom since those 2 TVs are using the one, dual tuner DVR. I also have 100 channels (not counting PPV, or music channels) and again, with all of the fees it runs me about $45 a month. Now, if I switch and upgrade to HD content, with DirecTV, it is something like $65 a month for the first 4 months, but I wonder what it will go to after that promo period. It also will cost me around $300 in up front equipment fees (HD DVR, etc)... YIKES... I love the idea of HD content in my home theater, but if that is the driving force, then I am not sure that I can honestly justify a switch.

I know that I could always call them, but I am not a loyal customer of 12 years or anything.

Someone give me some good news here. I would LOVE to get a bunch of HD channels...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 08:53 PM
I just moved to my new house and shelled out some cash to have cable jacks installed in every room ($80 bucks or so.) So I will not be switching anytime soon.

I have cable with HD+DVR+ a couple of movie channels + highspeed internet and my bill is not cheap.

However, I got this from the dircecTV web site:

The future of television has arrived. DIRECTV brings you our new HD DVR, soon with the capacity to offer 100 HD channels*

*Number of channels subject to available HD programming.

While it is neat that they are adding the CAPACITY for 100 hd channels, until there are 100 worthwhile HD networks I will not even think about switching. I am sure my cable company has the CAPACITY for more HD channels then they provide. I just don't understand what good a 100 channel hd capacity is without 100 quality HD networks.

Show me a channel lineup and I will re-consider dishing out money to my cable provider.

However, I do like the idea of being able to add an external hard-drive for extra storage. Our DVR does not have that feature but I think we can DVR to the hard drive on the computer with our windows media center PC...
Posted By: HomeDad Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 09:01 PM
Nick, these are the offers going on now DIRECTV I believe they will also install up to 4 regular systems for free. HDDVR and HD boxes are a bit more.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 09:14 PM
Although you may have the ability to get the 100 channels it all depends on your programming choice, I'm sure they will be offering many in the premium services such as HBO and Showtime, I just have the regular 185 channels, but since the HD package is only $9.99 even if I only get 10 more channels like HGTV, SCIFI ,History and A&E I'll be a happy camper.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 09:30 PM
Cox just added A&E HD to the lineup a month or so ago. It has some pretty good shows on it.

I won't be switching from cable anytime soon, but hopefully this will put pressure on cable companies and others to increase their HD lineup
Posted By: nickbuol Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 09:47 PM
Quote:

Nick, these are the offers going on now DIRECTV I believe they will also install up to 4 regular systems for free. HDDVR and HD boxes are a bit more.

It is $298 in startups getting HDDVR (that I can't watch anywhere else) and a seperate SDDVR (for 1 TV) and 2 non-HD, non-DVR boxes. If I simply add a 3rd SDDVR, it jumps to $397 in startup costs and the monthly bill jumps from $69 to $79 (after the first 4 months of "$5 off").

I'm just not sure that it is worth the cost. Those already loyal to DirecTV and can get free hardware upgrades and such are the lucky ones.

The following is the list (dated May 7, 2007 from www.dbstalk.com) of the proposed new HD channels for DirecTV. Of them, my family and I would watch (many of these on somewhat rare basis):
TNT
Discovery HD Theater
Animal Planet
Discovery Channel
Food Network
HGTV
Sci-Fi
Disney Channel
ABC Family
Hallmark Channel

----THE LIST----

Available Now:

70 HBO East
71 SHO East
72 ESPN2
73 ESPN
74 UHD
75 TNT
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HD Net Movies
79 HD Net

98 National Geographic Channel Sneak Peek (Times vary)
332 MHD Sneek Peek (Times vary)

99 HD Pay-Per-View

Depending on service area and equipment:

ABC
CBS
NBC
FOX
CW
MY Network TV

Local Regional Sports Network

Coming in September:

A&E
Animal Planet
Big Ten Network
Chiller
CineMax East
CineMax West
CNN
Discovery Channel (simulcast)
Food Network
HBO West
HGTV
History Channel
MHD (MTV)
NFL Network (Full-Time)
Science Channel
Showtime West
Starz! East
Starz! West
Starz! Edge
Starz! Comedy
Starz! Kids & Family
The Movie Channel
The National Geographic Channel
TBS
TLC
The Weather Channel
Versus/Golf

November:

RFD TV

Fall 2007:

Bravo
Cartoon
CNBC
FX
HBO2 East
HBO2 West
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino East
HBO Signature East
MoreMax East
Sci-Fi
Sleuth
Speed
USA

21 Regional Sports Networks:

Blackout Rules still apply!

Altitude
Comcast SportsNet Chicago
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
New England Sports Network
SportsNet New York
SportsSouth
Sun Sports
YES

December 2007:

The Tennis Channel

Spring 2008

Disney Channel
Toon Disney
ABC Family
ESPN News
Hallmark Channel
MGM

Announced HD for Fall 2007 but not announced for DirecTV yet:

Trinity Broadcasting Network

Announced HD channel rollouts by Spring 2008 but no carriage announcements for DirecTV yet:

MAV TV, HBO Comedy East/West, HBO Latino West, HBO Signature West, HBO Zone East/West, @Max East, 5 Star Max East, ActionMax East/West, MoreMax West, OuterMax East, ThrillerMax East/West, WMax East

Existing HD that I have no carriage info for:

Lifetime HD, MOJO, Outdoor 2, Playboy, Wealth
Posted By: nickbuol Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 09:53 PM
Quote:

I just moved to my new house and shelled out some cash to have cable jacks installed in every room ($80 bucks or so.) So I will not be switching anytime soon.

Yeah, my house has a minimum of 3 cable, 3 network, and 3 phone lines in each room (except the bathrooms). My home theater has a couple more cable and network jacks, and my living room basically has 6 of each. I still don't have cable TV... I've looked into is MANY, MANY times, but they just can't compete (in the Des Moines, Iowa area anyway) with Dish or DirecTV. I even looked at their bundled TV, phone, internet package (since I am already getting killed paying them $60.95 a month for internet), and if I kept their internet, dropped Dish and went with cable tv, and then dropped my Vonage, and went with their VOIP phone, it would cost me around $185 a month, vs. $133 that I pay now for all of that. And I still wouldn't have HD channels. Darn cable companies.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/22/07 10:03 PM
Tell me about it. I'm stuck with basic cable at $60/month because my landlord won't let me get a dish. Grr... and yes, it's within her legal rights to do so--I don't have any private outside areas.
Posted By: michael_d Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 02:07 PM
Hmmmm... Direct TV is not available where I live and I need two, 4' dishes to get ten, HD channels from dishnet. Needless to say, I don't have HD/TV.

I'm sure these new satellites won't help either....at least that’s usually the way my luck goes.
Posted By: Mojo Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 02:39 PM
I'm curious what the options and prices are in Canada.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 03:38 PM
Variety of responses:

Nick - thanks for grabbing the list of HD channels.

Nick - the HD package is currently 9.99, which brings my monthly to 65 (I don't have any movie channels). Once I get the upgrade and everything is switched on, I'll likely get the movies.

As pointed out, D* usually has a pretty nice new customer package. Once they hit their stride with 150 HD channels, competition is either going to suffer or be incented to offer more HD.

terzaghi - They HAVE the capacity; in September (barring tech issues) they are turning on 70 channels for viewing. Take a look at the listing Nick published in the thread.

Tom - believe me, the calls/conversations are simple. Just be persistent.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 03:44 PM
Mike, just helping you spend more money DIRECTV in ALASKA
Posted By: bugbitten Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 04:36 PM
Quote:

Tell me about it. I'm stuck with basic cable at $60/month because my landlord won't let me get a dish. Grr... and yes, it's within her legal rights to do so--I don't have any private outside areas.

No porch or balcony or railings?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 04:41 PM
There's the steps up to the door (with railing around), but there's no real room there. If it was on the railing a) the railing would probably fall over and b) it would intrude on a neighbor's parking space.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 05:30 PM
Would dishes attached to a pole set in a cement bucket work?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 05:33 PM
Have them put it at my house. Then buy me a slingbox and I'll let you watch it over the net.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 05:33 PM
Not really. There's no real place to put it. In any case, the landlord won't allow any drilling into the house without seeing a damage policy from the companies. DirecTV has one: they won't cover any damage from installation. Dish doesn't have a written one. Therefore, I'm stuck with friggin' Comcast--It's Craptastic!

The best part? Both of the other tenants in the building have dishes on the roof. The landlord never answered my question about how they got them.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 05:38 PM
I'll have to do some searching but there are FCC rules about allowing you to place dish receivers. I don't think you can legally be prevented from placing a dish somewhere.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 05:41 PM
Oh, I've looked. If you have no outside area, you can't get a dish.

Sigh...
sorry about the hijack. It's just been pissing me off.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/23/07 09:43 PM
In the Bay Area, I moved from DirecTV to Comcast because I really prefer Tivo. I had the HD DirecTivo but it didn't support MPEG4 so I wouldn't get the new channels, in addition to the fact that I had to get a replacement for the triple LNB that I already had.

When the Tivo Series 3 came out I jumped on it as soon as I could get a friends and family discount. I upgraded to 750GB, moved my lifetime subscription and don't regret my decision much. We have enough HD to keep me satisfied, though SciFi would be nice. Plus I'm in a location where I can get OTA HD pretty well.

I like that Comcast is monthly, versus DirecTV's 2yr commitment. My ONLY complaint for digital cable is that SD is HORRIBLE compared to satellite. However, that's not a huge issue because I pretty much don't watch anything that is not HD anymore.

I've got these available to me in HD from Comcast Digital Cable:

Fox
KRON (Bay Area local TV)
CBS
ABC
PBS (local)
InDemand HD
FoxSports Bay Area
Versus/Golf
Discovery
ESPN
ESPN2
TNT
Universal
MHD
HBO-HD
Cinemax-HD
Starz!-HD
Showtime-HD
Posted By: terzaghi Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/26/07 01:16 AM
that sucks about your landlord kc,
My landlord is pretty laid back... there are 2 Dish Network Satellites on the roof from the previous tenant (which I have not removed yet). I just paid cox to install 3 new cable jacks, and they drilled all of them from the exterior...

My cable company provides the following channels in HD:

701 Cox Event HD
711 OETA HD (PBS)
715 KOKI HD (FOX)
716 KOTV HD (CBS)
718 KTUL HD (ABC)
719 KJRH HD (NBC)
720 ESPN HD
721 ESPN2 HD
725 Discovery HD
726 National Geographic HD
727 A&E HD 
729 TNT HD
730 Universal HD
735 Mojo
739 MHD
740 Cox HD
741 Cox HD2
750 HBO HD
755 Showtime HD
760 Starz! HD

I would consider switching to directv in the future if I could get more HD channels for less.
Posted By: 1long1 Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/26/07 04:19 AM
I just switched to Dish Network. They currently have 39 HD channels (more then anyone else) and are too adding more HD as we speak. I switched from Directv because, as mentioned previously, they do not treat existing customers very well until you call to cancel. Customer service is terrible with Directv and Dish Network is slightly cheaper.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/26/07 04:44 AM
Quote:

I switched from Directv because, as mentioned previously, they do not treat existing customers very well until you call to cancel.

Lol, that's the same reason I cancelled Dish Network 4 years ago , they called me the day after I had cancelled to offer everything I had asked for, But I had already called DIRECTV and have stuck with them since.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 08/27/07 02:14 PM
Dish has now successfully pissed me off by calling and bothering my wife for quite some time about how they could fix the problem with my landlord, no problem. Other than the fact that they couldn't provide the damage policy.

I think they're all slimy-Dish, DirecTV, Comcast...
Posted By: littleb Re: DirecTv - some advice for you - 09/18/07 11:58 PM
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm strongly considering going back to cable. I just upgraded my Directv receiver to the H10 to received a few HD channels a little over a year ago, and they want to charge me for a further upgrade. Shame on you, Rupert.
© Axiom Message Boards