Axiom Home Page
Hello all!

I am contemplating purchasing 4 outdoor speakers (Algonquin) to be placed along the back of my house - 2 over my 16 foot-wide deck and another 2 placed over a 16 foot-wide patio supporting my hot tub. I have a Russound multi-source/multi-zone amplifier providing whole-house audio with one zone dedicated to the 4 outdoor speakers. I need to wire the 4 outdoor speakers in parallel so that they can be served by one zone of the Russound amplifier. This will yield a 4-ohm load which the Russound amplifier cannot handle (the Russound specs indicate a minimum load of 6-ohms). In addition, the Russound amplifier only puts out 20 watts/channel which is probably not sufficient for the 4 outdoor speakers.

Anyways, I was wondering if my fellow Axiom members could suggest any reasonably priced 2-channel amplifiers that can support a 4-ohm load (2 8-ohm speakers in parallel) at the necessary wattage required for outdoor speakers? I'm not even sure the power requirements for outdoor speakers but I'm sure 20 watts isn't sufficient.

I have done a little research and am tentatively considering:
  • Behringer A500 (I believe I can get this for $320 locally - Calgary)
  • Onkyo M-282
  • 2 Outlaw 2200 mono-blocks

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Bryan
Bryan,

Your amplifier may very well be able to drive the Algonquins. I'd try it before I spend money on another amp.

And 20W is probably enough. At 6 feet away, two of them would deliver 88dB at one watt. With 20W, you can get up to 101 dB or so. This should be plenty loud unless you live right next to Deerfoot (or right by Glenmore and Elbow ). If you live out in the country and don't need to worry about neighbors, by all means get another amp so you can crank it.
My vote from the ones listed goes to the Outlaws. I can't see 20 watts being enough for outdoor listening. Heck I can't see 20 watts being enough for indoor listening.
I also vote for something with a little more headroom.
Bryan,

I'd like to suggest you go outside and take some SPL readings. Set the meter to slow, C-weighted. If you get around 75dB of noise, 20W should be adequate. Any more than that and you may need another amp.

It doesn't hurt to try with the amp you have. If you don't like it or it doesn't work, then spend the money on another amp.

Remember that you also need to worry about the neighbors. If they can hear it in their homes, they'll come out and lay the boots to ya.
Or bring some beer and join ya and say crank those Axioms up, oh wait you need more power.
Quote:

Heck I can't see 20 watts being enough for indoor listening.

Heck, I can't even hear 20 watts.
I use Outlaw M200s (the older model) for my outdoor M3s.
© Axiom Message Boards