Axiom Home Page
Posted By: wesley63 Anyone use a Yamaha receiver as a pre-amp? - 10/03/07 01:04 AM
I have never liked the amp section of my Yamaha RX-V2500 and was wondering if anyone has used a Yamaha receiver as a pre-amp before. My exact situation is that I am thinking about getting an Emotiva LPA-1 and using it to replace the Yamaha amp section to drive my M22 based system.

Has anyone done this before and was the improvement significant?

Thanks,
Jim
Posted By: JohnK Re: Anyone use a Yamaha receiver as a pre-amp? - 10/03/07 02:16 AM
Jim, welcome. You ask about "the" improvement, rather than whether there would be "an" improvement, but there's no good reason to expect one in general. If your 2500 is in good operating condition and you're not exceeding its maximum power capacity in powering your M22s(unlikely), adding a separate amplifier can't create any sonic magic.
You're right JohnK I was making the assumption that there would be some type of difference. I know that when I went from using a cheaper Sony receiver to a NAD C320BEE with a pair of M3v2's that the difference was pretty obvious, even to my tin ears. Maybe my question should be "Do you hear a difference?"

I'm asking this because on other boards where people have done this, they rave about the improvement in sound quality. You just never know if these comments are from Emotive salesmen or not. I wanted to see if there were any Axiom owners that have tried it.

Thanks,
Jim
© Axiom Message Boards