Axiom Home Page
Posted By: blackstar79 QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 01:32 AM
hi there! first post! large credit card bill!!! getting my speakers next week, the waiting is killing me and wondering how i should go about setting up my QS4's the image attached shows 3 but it's only to give an idea where to place them. i would have the option of having 2 behind my main seating area or 1 behind, 1 on the side. thoughts on the best setup? if it's important at all my mains will be M60's and a vp100 as centre [img][/img]

Posted By: Mojo Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 01:40 AM
Your rears look fine to me. As for the sides, the best advice I can give you is that you should experiment.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 01:49 AM
 Quote:
Your rears look fine to me.

*giggle*
Posted By: Wid Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 01:50 AM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
 Quote:
Your rears look fine to me.

*giggle*

That's cause he gots Mojo
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 01:51 AM
LOL. I really have to watch what I type.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 01:54 AM
Looks like the side surrounds could be moved forward some to get more seperation from the rears.
Posted By: JohnK Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 02:11 AM
Blackie, welcome. If I follow, you're discussing two QS4s, not four. If your couch is just a foot or so from the wall behind, your QS4s can be mounted effectively on the back wall about 2-3' above ear level. They continue to be side surrounds in a 5.1 setup, even if mounted on the back wall, and should be separated more widely than in your illustration, almost to the side wall on the right and a similar distance to the left.
Posted By: blackstar79 Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 02:22 AM
yes, sorry it's just 2 surrounds that i'm getting but i've heard somewhere that you get better sound if the speakers are more to the side than the rear so i was thinking have one on the side wall and the one that's on the far right or if just having the 2 behind me would be best
Posted By: Mojo Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 03:03 AM
Use a couple of ladders to test out a few different locations. You will be glad that you did.
Posted By: richeydog Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 03:16 AM
The size of the M60 makes you look like a hobbit... lol

Ditto what John said. They probably would work best on the back wall, but it wouldn't hurt to place them on the sides to experiment.

Posted By: blackstar79 Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 03:54 AM
i had to improvise sketchup only has M22's that i could download..i may have increased their size a wee bit too much...ladder don't have any but i will have two friends with very tired arms
Posted By: HAY Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 05:03 AM
In my normal room set up, I have my QS8's just a little past 90 degrees so their a little behind me and they sound good. In this picture the couch is off the wall by 2.5' to 3'

I recently moved my couch up a foot or so and the difference is really surprising. The QS8's sound so much better and lively now. I even went through rebalancing my system again to ensure they were not too "hot". So definitely try placements before attaching to the walls, but I believe due to your layout behind you will be better. Also, due to my OCD, I think having them both wall mounted on the back wall will make the room more balance and symmetrical. ;\)
Posted By: Hutzal Re: QS4 Setup - 10/17/07 01:59 PM
All I can say is, where can I get speakers as big as the ones you're getting?!?!?!

On a more serious note...2-3' above the listeners head is well worth it...I think I have the bottom of my QS6s a little over 6' from the ground and they sound amazing...
Posted By: HAY Re: QS4 Setup - 10/19/07 01:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
All I can say is, where can I get speakers as big as the ones you're getting?!?!?!

Except for his center, poor little thing
© Axiom Message Boards