Axiom Home Page
Posted By: alexadams77 A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 04:50 PM
I just have a quick question and have done a bunch of searching and I can't really find an answer. On my Yamaha RX V2200 I have a setting for "A Speakers, B Speakers & A/B Speakers".

Now if I were to hookup "A Speakers" to my m60 normally, I would get 100w x 2.

If I were to hookup A Speakers (+/- lower binding posts) and hookup B Speakers (+/- top binding posts) would this give my m60's 200w x 2?
Posted By: jakewash Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 04:52 PM
No. the power gets split between the 2. only one amp section for the front speakers is usually assigned.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 04:53 PM
Even if it wasn't, you don't get double the power when you biamp. Ever.
Posted By: pickupmykeys Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 05:11 PM
Hi jakewash. I'm new but I've been doing a lot of reading for months now, including these forums.

I am replacing my receiver and speakers for a 5.1 set up in the near future and I have a similar question. I'm looking at the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. It says it has 'Amplifier Assign' and states that you can reconfigure the surround backs to power B speakers. I interpret this as meaning I could hook up the M60 to the front channel and the M22 as a B speaker and run them both as fronts and they would both get 130w per channel (for the M82). Is this correct?

I know this part is a little off topic but did you decide to stay with the M82? I'm trying to decide between the M60, the M80 and the M82.
Posted By: jakewash Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 05:26 PM
The logic flows that way. My Denon won't allow the rear channel to be reconfigured like that so the A B connection is a split front channel.\:\(

Since you asked about my M82 quandry, I came to the realization the other day that the only thing that was bothering me about the M82 was I needed 2 sets of speakers to achieve the sound I was looking for. Since the M80s are nearly identical with only a couple of extra benefits going for the M82 I just ordered the M80s this morning and will be sending the M60s back. I wish I could afford to keep the M60s as well. They actually sounded a little more forward in my living room with hardwood floors and 8ft of glass on one wall. But the WAF was -5 for floorstanders up there.

Time to start saving up for the sub and put my 12 yr old D-box sub to rest.
Posted By: pickupmykeys Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 05:45 PM
Foiled by the WAF. Fortunately for me my payment for painting the entire interior of our house (recently purchased a home) are new "toys" and very little WAF. \:D Now if I could only get the job finished.

I'm considering the M82 because of the positive things said about it and because I'm concerned about being able to provide enough power for the 4 ohm load of the M80 (since I only have so many $$).
Posted By: Mojo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 05:50 PM
For all practical intents and purposes, the M82 is actually a 4 Ohm load as well.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 05:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: pickupmykeys
I am replacing my receiver and speakers for a 5.1 set up in the near future and I have a similar question. I'm looking at the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. It says it has 'Amplifier Assign' and states that you can reconfigure the surround backs to power B speakers. I interpret this as meaning I could hook up the M60 to the front channel and the M22 as a B speaker and run them both as fronts and they would both get 130w per channel (for the M82). Is this correct?

I know this part is a little off topic but did you decide to stay with the M82? I'm trying to decide between the M60, the M80 and the M82.

You are exactly correct and there is indeed a new generation of receivers that give you the ability to dynamically assign certain channels to other speakers. I think I told you this before. Yes, you can send 130W to the 60s and another 130W to the 22s you lucky man! And you don't need to worry about the combined effect of a 4 Ohm load because the speakers will not appear as a parallel load to the receiver.
Posted By: pickupmykeys Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 05:56 PM
Hi Mojo. I've read many of your posts. \:\)

How can it be a 4 ohm load if you can assign them their own channels (see my earlier post)? Or I interpreting the 'Assign Amplifier' function incorrectly?

Please disregard this post. You beat me to it Mojo.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 08:23 PM

It makes me feel good to have one fan \:\) .
Posted By: pickupmykeys Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 09:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
I think I told you this before.

And just so that you don’t think I'm asking the same questions over and over, you haven't told me this before. This is only my 4th post...but by the way thing are going, it won't be my last.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 09:40 PM
Ok. That particular model of Pioneer Elite came up before with the exact same question. It looks like there's at least one more lucky man \:\) .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 09:52 PM

It makes me feel good to have one fan \:\) .

All he said was that he read them. Doesn't mean he liked them.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/18/07 11:50 PM
PoP! My bubble just burst.
Posted By: jakewash Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/19/07 12:19 AM
I think the smiley means he did like his posts, blow your bubble back up Mojo.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/19/07 02:31 AM
PoP! My bubble just burst.

Mojo's "other" fan

Posted By: Mojo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/19/07 02:59 AM
THAT is one lovely fan!
Posted By: chesseroo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/19/07 04:03 AM
THAT is one lovely fan!

One fan that won't be stalking you anyway.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/19/07 04:10 AM
That's one fan that wouldn't make it on store shelves today.
Posted By: Murph Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/19/07 12:46 PM
Actually, I'd buy that fan in a heartbeat. Of course, I don't have kids that might lose their fingers due to the lack of protective screening.
Posted By: Mojo Re: A+B Speaker Connection +m60 = ? - 10/19/07 02:05 PM
That's why I felt it wouldn't make it to store shelves. The regulatory police would prevent it.
© Axiom Message Boards