Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gmorf33 Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 02:03 AM
Last week the Best Buy sales rep was trying to push a Monster Power Center (things are like 200-300 bucks), which wasn't surprising, they really like to push the overpriced monster products.

I'm curious.. I would like to have a high quality surge protector with line conditioning once I get all my stuff, but I don't want to buy Monster brand unless there's a righteous sale. What brand/products do you axiom experts use for your A/V equipment for your surge/power needs?

I'm considering an APC UPS similar to the one I have setup on my home PC to avoid those nasty power outtages during storms (I live in kansas.. lots of wind and whatnot). Just wondering if there's an advantage to equipment tailored to AV equipment, or if there's some secret high value brand that not many know about (like axiom )
Posted By: Ajax Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 03:01 AM
I'm partial to the Belkin PureAV power consoles. I own both the PF60 and the Home Theater Battery Backup with AVR Technology. Don't let the maufacturer's prices scare you. I've found the PF60 for around $240 shipped, and the Battery Backup for $180 shipped. A good search on the web may produce even better prices. You can find the same models in silver (like mine) instead of black, for even less.

(Sorry about the crappy photo \:\( )

Posted By: gmorf33 Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 03:17 AM
Ooo, those look nice and match my Pure AV HDMI cables =D

I'll have to check out that product line. Thanks.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 03:18 AM
I went with the Belkin also, you can get the PF40 here for 105.00 eCOST
Posted By: JohnK Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 03:52 AM
GM, I've never had any surge needs and AV equipment with a power supply section already provides all the "conditioning" to the power coming out of the wall which the engineers found to be necessary. My view therefore is to spend your money on something more useful.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 04:15 AM
I was able to pick up a Monster HTS3500mk2 a while back for really cheap ($109) then about 6 months later the volt meter illumiation went out so I sent it back to monster and since it was a discontinued model they sent me a brand new HTS3600MK2 for free \:\) I have seen them on sale here and there. You may be able to pick up a 3500 off amazon or something. Then just remember to turn the volt meter up all the way all day long so you burn it out before its out of warranty (5yrs) worked for me \:D
Posted By: jakewash Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 04:17 AM
I ordered the PF60 in black from ecost a couple of days ago for $266. I like the display showing the output and usage etc.

The have some recertified stuff for alot less.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 04:33 AM
John, there may not be a need for conditioning and the like, but it sure is nice to have something pretty with tons of outlets to plug your equipment into. \:\)
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
I've never had any surge needs

Try moving to California.
You will need more than surge needs. You will need power to start with. \:\/
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 06:29 AM
Oh, come now. We haven't had rolling black outs since the Texans stopped ripping us off and went out of business. ;\)

I use a Belkin UPS (computer version). About $100 cheaper, and much uglier. It held up for around 2 hours running my (at the time) dual drive TiVo during the one black out we had earlier this year.
Me too. This was going to be one of the next items on my shopping list. I was expecting something more expensive. That link is now in my "Next Thing To Buy" favorites sub-menu!
Posted By: Ajax Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 03:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
GM, I've never had any surge needs and AV equipment with a power supply section already provides all the "conditioning" to the power coming out of the wall which the engineers found to be necessary. My view therefore is to spend your money on something more useful.
I agree, in general, with what John has to say. I would never claim that my PureAV equipment makes my system sound better.

(DISCLAIMER: I live in a suburban area of a large city, so my power's "condition" is likely just fine. Things might be different if you live in a more rural setting. Although, it was my power company (First Energy) who brought you the massive East coast blackout a few years ago \:\( , and who has more outages than a modern power company company should )

But, I also agree with Homedad who said "John, there may not be a need for conditioning and the like, but it sure is nice to have something pretty with tons of outlets to plug your equipment into. \:\)" I bought the PureAVs for the convenience they provide, and for their good looks while providing same. I've no idea if they actually would save my equipment in case of a massive surge (and hope I never find out), but the alleged surge protection and battery backup do provide a modicum of peace of mind.

I am, however, very fond of one of JohnK's favorite sayings which goes something like "A destructive power surge is just God's way of telling you that it's time to upgrade." \:D
Thanks to Jack, I have the same combo he has sitting on my rack too! The UPS is for my projector and laptop, and everything else goes into the conditioner. I have brown and black outs quite regularly, so these things are needed. They make it nice for routing cables too.
Me have same too! But me have better pictures than Jack!

Posted By: CV Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 07:20 PM
I like the upside-down ghost one on the bottom.
It's the most transparent sounding.....
I like the watt meter.
Very neat.
Definitely some nifty audio jewelry. That is one big brooch.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 11:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

And a better camera. Really nice photo. Mark
Posted By: jakewash Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/04/07 11:43 PM
I am now very anxious for mine to get here. The display should really stand out with the case being black.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/05/07 03:56 AM
Jack, a little more specifically, my philosphy in the matter is that if a lightning strike should destroy my audio equipment I would view it as simply being God's way of telling me that it's time to upgrade.

Thanks for the opportunity to use this line again, and how 'bout them Browns!
I hate the Browns.

I need a UPS for my TV/DVR/PC but I don't have room in the rack for something pretty. I need something I can just mount on the back of the console. Any suggestions for models or vendors?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/05/07 08:47 PM
Got a picture of the location?
Not handy. Just think "spaghetti behind a wooden TV cabinet"
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/05/07 09:29 PM
Hmm. So do you want a slim ups that you can mount vertically, or a fat, stubby UPS? You don't have many choices other than those form factors, because there's got to be space for the big honking batteries.
Posted By: gmorf33 Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/06/07 12:33 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
*image snipped*

Holy smokes, are these things really 7.5 inches tall and 22 inches wide?

Also curious on how you run your power cables with this setup.. I'm assuming you plug all your equipment into the Battery Backup, then plug your battery backup into the Power Console which then plugs into the wall. If that's the case, it seems like a waste of money paying for all those extra outlets on the power console (except for the very nice eye candy factor).
Posted By: jakewash Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/06/07 01:05 AM
I think you have it backwards, You plug them all into the Power console then the Power console in to the Battery back up, other wise you loose the filtering ability of the power console for each specific component.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/06/07 01:07 AM
I'm not sure why you wouldn't trust the battery backup for filtering.

I suspect that what they're doing is running the high draw stuff off of the power conditioner and the lower draw stuff off of the battery backup. I mean, you don't really need the battery backup except for things writing data, right?
Posted By: Ajax Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/06/07 01:22 AM
Actually, Belkin will not honor the warranties if you plug either one into the other. Each unit must be directly plugged into a wall outlet. I have my TV, my cable box, and a few other things plugged into the battery backup, and everything else plugged into the PF60.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/06/07 01:24 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I hate the Browns.

Apologies, Tom. A tough game to lose, I know.
Well, Jack, at least you feel bad about it.

I need help figuring out how much squatty-box UPS I need.

I want to plug in the following:
-DirecTV HR-20 HD DVR
-JVC 61FNC97 TV (for the bulb, Ken)
-PC (Athlon 64, one modest HD, a couple USB devices for keyboard and sound)

What voltage measurements am I looking for and where do I find them?

I want the Belkin one, but I just can't find a place to put it until I rip about another 500 CD's.
I bought my PF60 from eCost about 9 months ago from eCost when they had them for like $140. Heck of a deal.

Does it improve the sound? Absolutely, but not in an 'audiophile' way. I used to get a crackle or slightly pop from my system when the neighbors A/C would fire up (we connect to the same transformer), or my wife would start the clothes dryer, and now I get neither. Never a crackle or hiss.

In my home, my PF60 claims the voltage regularly runs between 125 and 135 volts. I'm not an electical enginner, but that can't be good for the equipment. A buddy in town reports the same. I take some solace that the PF60 is helping to provide 'cleaner' power to the electronics. Not that it makes them sound any better, but that it might be helping the longevity. It's also interesting to monitor how much power your compenents draw when on or in standby.

I also like the fact that it made a great improvement to the rats-nest of power cables behind my AV Rack, and it just looks cool. \:\)
Super Deluxe Cool.
Posted By: aham23 Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/14/07 08:40 PM
those sure are pretty! \:\)

what is the main point of having battery backup?

thanks.
I use the battery unit for:

- my DLP (so if I lose power the fan still can run to cool the unit down)

- My TiVo and Comcast DVRs so if I lose power for a few minutes, they can still record Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Oh Buffy....... when will you realize that I would be a better boyfriend to you than Spike????
Posted By: aham23 Re: Monster (or equivelant) power centers.. - 11/14/07 09:04 PM
well, it's a no brainer then, and i got one my list. there is no way i am missing any episodes of gilmore girls. later.
© Axiom Message Boards