Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mcad64 Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/13/07 07:03 PM
Hello all,
I have recently moved to another home and after I showed my wife what my PSB Image B25's would look like on the wall I got a definite no way no how. I was previously running six of them in a 6.1 setup.
My room is approx 28 X 28 with 7 foot ceiings.
Here is what I was thinking M22's for L/R. A VP150 for centre duty and 4 M2's for surround duty. This way I will get 5 1/4's all around. My other option is to go with 7 M3's and move up to the 6.5 woofer all around (my original plan) using an M3 as my centre channel. The first option would be better aesthetically obviously because the M2 would be smaller on the wall. But I think either would work because either would be smaller (M2, M3) than my Image B25's. I watch movies but also LOVE multichannel audio. So what do you think will give me more sonic bliss!! Sub will either be an EP500 or an SVS Pb12 plus.
Thanks for any and all replies
Mike
PS: Make it quick , I need to order while there is still free shipping!! J/K !!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/13/07 09:54 PM
For a room that size I would go floorstanders up front,M60s or M80s, and the VP150 and 4 QS8's but I am guessing there is some WAF in your decision?
Posted By: mcad64 Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/14/07 01:19 AM
You would be correct sir. Major WAF in my decision. I am also currently in negotions over my upstairs 5.1 system. I am trying to keep my Paradigm Monitor 7's up front and am getting serious flak!!
Women...they just don't get it.
Mike
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/14/07 01:53 AM
I would look at the Qs8's for the left/right surrounds for sure if you want the best performance and surround experience that a direct radiating speaker can't give you. If you decide you want bookshelf direct radiating for the rears, that would be ok as not as much information comes from those channels and for music that might be best.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/14/07 05:30 AM
Well I can vouch for the M22s as being a great speaker and will match the VP150. I second the notion of QS8s for side surrounds for the reasons stated previously and the rear surrounds are a judgement call, I have heard 4 QS8s in a 7.1 system and it is very enveloping. I have a 6.1 with 3 QS8s and I love it.

I will guess the seating area is not that far away probably 10-12' so the M22s will work great and direct radiators for the back will throw the sound forward as you will be a long way away from the rear surrounds.

Your idea of keeping the same driver sizes is wise as the M3s vs. M2s/M22s/VP150 do sound ever so slightly different. There are those here that have the M3s with the VP series and report it sounds really good as well so it must be a judgement(WAF) call as the M22s are quite a bit taller than the M3s.
Posted By: mcad64 Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/14/07 12:56 PM
The last paragraph is what gets me. Why did Axiom not make a centre with a 6.5 woofer. I don't really like the idea of a front soundstage that consists of 6.5's L/R and 5.25 centre. Or am i being obsessive about this??
Mike
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/14/07 02:11 PM
If / when Axiom comes ever out with a VPXXX that has 6.5 driver(s), look out, I will be the first in line to try one.

Not that I dont like the VP150, it's a great center speaker, I'd just be interested in a center channel with larger drivers and a lower frequency response.

I would be cool to run it with my existing VP150 as I do have a spare channel on my amp.

Paul
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/14/07 04:51 PM
You're being a little obsessive about it. I had no problems with M50s and a VP100.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/14/07 04:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: mcad64
The last paragraph is what gets me. Why did Axiom not make a centre with a 6.5 woofer. I don't really like the idea of a front soundstage that consists of 6.5's L/R and 5.25 centre. Or am i being obsessive about this??
Mike
Not sure why, maybe Alan could answer this. Possibly a size issue as the box gets much bigger for the 6 1/2 in order for it to produce better low end.

As for being obsessive, I think we all are a little when it comes to our beloved HT. If you have the room for a vertical center you could go that route and M3s across the front. I ran a M60 as a center with my M80s and it was glorious. I wanted to pull out the fireplace and put the M60 in its place.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/15/07 04:28 PM
I think the driver size of the center channel should be the least of your worries.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/15/07 04:56 PM
>>I don't really like the idea of a front soundstage that consists of 6.5's L/R and 5.25 centre. Or am i being obsessive about this??

Yes you are being obsessive. So are many of us.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/15/07 05:00 PM
Yep, most of us have OCAU (Obsessive Compulsive Axiom Upgradeitis)
Posted By: mcad64 Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/16/07 05:44 PM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
I think the driver size of the center channel should be the least of your worries.

Care to expound please?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/16/07 05:52 PM
I think Axiom didn't go with a larger driver due to cost reasons and size as Jason mentioned. They were worried about having a centre that was half the price of 80s. And also, where would people put it? Those two factors constrained the design.
Posted By: CV Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/16/07 05:54 PM
Yeah, if they have room for a larger center, they probably have room for a bookshelf at the least, or a floorstander if they're lucky.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/17/07 12:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Yeah, if they have room for a larger center, they probably have room for a bookshelf at the least, or a floorstander if they're lucky.

Mmmmmm......M80 center......mmmmmmmm..huh?! what?!!aww man it was all a dream.
Posted By: CV Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/17/07 12:53 AM
Is anyone on the boards currently running an M80 center behind an acoustically transparent screen? That's my eventual goal, but it would be nice to hear from someone who already has that setup.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/17/07 01:14 AM
No M80 center and no screen but I did run the M80s with a M60 center and it was ssswwweeeettt!
Posted By: RickF Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/17/07 02:54 AM
I tried a pair of 60s as centers right up against either side of our 73" RP DLP and they sounded awesome in the sweet spot but anything off axis and the sound was too directional.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Which setup would you recommend?? - 12/17/07 04:09 AM
When I was off axis with the single M60 I found it to be better than the VP series. I have found the VP150 to be 1db less at this off axis point and the M60 was still full, no drop out.
© Axiom Message Boards