Axiom Home Page
Posted By: alexadams77 Mono blocks + m80 - 12/20/07 07:33 PM
I was just wondering if I were to get a set of Mono blocks (300 watts)for my m80s, if that would ruin my front sound stage and HT experience? I just want to know if there would be any implications or problems that I would run into.

Come Christmas, my HT will consist of the following;

m80
VP150
QS8
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/20/07 07:39 PM
No, wouldn't change anything except the headroom on your M80s. As long as you balance the levels, you're set.
Posted By: Wid Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/20/07 07:39 PM

Get em and let those M80s rip.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/20/07 09:19 PM
By all accounts the mono's will just make the M80s even better!

And let's not forget to post pics and impressions once you have them.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 01:04 AM
You should check with an Avia disk or equivalent to make sure that the monoblocks didn't invert the signal compared to the amp in the receiver (equivalent of having the speaker wired backwards). If you do find that main and centers are out of phase, just reverse the speaker wires on each of the M80s.

I can't think of any other potential problems -- everyone who has added amplification to their M80s seems to have been very happy with the results. Those puppies seem to like power.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 02:22 AM
I never noticed a difference once I added my Odyssey mono's.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 02:31 AM
Alex, keep in mind that regardless of whether you use a 30 watt, 300 watt or 3000 watt amplifier with your M80s that those numbers are simply the maximum output that the amplifier is capable of; you're the one in control of how much power is actually used. As Ken mentioned, you calibrate your speakers to an equal level, regardless of what the maximum output of the amplifier might be. The M80s are slightly above average in sensitivity and require less power than many other speakers, including the other Axiom models. It's unlikely that you'd use the maximum output capability of the units that you're considering.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 02:43 AM
I look at it this way, wouldn't it be nice to have 600hp available in a 2500lb car even though you will only use less than 100hp 99% of the time. Acceleration lanes to freeways now have new meaning as does passing on said freeways. It is just a luxury to be able to afford such thoroubreds but if you can afford it why not?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 04:32 AM
There's a reason that the Bugatti Veyron has a key lock for turning on that 1000 HP. Unless you know what you're doing, you're not going anywhere.

Besides, car analogies to audio don't really work too well in general.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 05:52 AM
>>I never noticed a difference once I added my Odyssey mono's.

Interesting... not even at high volumes ?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 08:58 PM
The original poster asked if it would ruin his sound stage for home theater by adding mono's, that is what I was commenting on. Of course, there is a world of difference in quality, quantity, and power when you step up to high end amplification, contrary to what some believe on paper.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 09:19 PM
I don't believe on paper.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 09:30 PM
>>The original poster asked if it would ruin his sound stage for home theater by adding mono's, that is what I was commenting on.

D'oh !!

Never mind ;\)
Posted By: alexadams77 Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 09:47 PM
I pretty much wanted to know if running Mono Blocks on the m80's would change/throw off the timber matching with the VP150/QS8? I do have Avia and SPL Meter.
Posted By: Wid Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/21/07 09:48 PM

No it wouldn't as long as you stay with solid state amps.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 02:22 AM
I don't think amplification itself can alter the timber matching, after all it is an amplifier. If you turn on DSP or EQ stuff in your receiver, now that is different as your altering the original source.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 02:46 AM
Monos with the M80s are the way to go if you can swing it. For stereo listening its tough to beat single channel amplifiers, with dedicated power supply and isolated circuitry.

Besides the dynamic headroom you'll get from the extra power, you virtually eliminate any chance of channel crosstalk. Two monoblocks are usually lighter and easier to handle than one stereo amp. Monoblocks can be placed closer to the speaker. In addition, it's better to keep speaker cables as short as possible. If you use balanced cables, there will be noise rejection along the interconnect runs to the amp.

All these benefits usually mean a better soundstage, heightened dynamics and greater resolution. However, a well designed powerful separate stereo amp will easily hold its own against a monobloc pair.

Posted By: JohnK Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 02:47 AM
Alex, I think that most of us thought that you were referring to an imbalance in sound level because of a more powerful amplifier(that's what I thought). As far as timbre goes, any competently designed amplifier is transparent and won't audibly affect the timbre of the speakers, so you should have no concern in that respect either. The only difference would be an ability to play the peaks at a slightly louder level, and that may or may not be significant for your use.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 03:07 AM
John, are you recommending this over A1400?
Posted By: jakeman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 03:12 AM
What is the main application and what is the amp it is replacing? According to the OP its mainly HT so an A1400-8 would be the best choice. In a dedicated 2 channel it depends on which mono blocs. In my 2 channel the A1400-8 held its own against a pair of mono bridged Bryston 4BSSTs.
Posted By: alexadams77 Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 03:18 AM
I was looking at a pair of Outlaw M2200
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 03:20 AM
I suspect you'll get more enjoyment out of a pair of QS8s at this time.
Posted By: alexadams77 Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 03:33 AM
Under the tree is a VP150 and QS8s. I just want to know if it would be a good purchase or not for the M2200's?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 03:43 AM
Alex, the answer to that question depends on whether you're playing your system at a loudness level that exceeds the capacity of your 2200 and you're getting distortion in a noticeable amount. If not, adding a more powerful amplifier won't be of benefit. There's no magic in a separate amplifier or an amplifier with a higher maximum output capacity if it isn't needed. Unused headroom is simply that: unused.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 03:44 AM
Sure its an upgrade amplification wise. Presumably you are getting 3 monos for the L/C/R and using the RX-V220 for surrounds. That will give you much more dynamic headroom with its attendant benefits. To optimize it further you might want to run balanced cables to the monos which would be behind each speaker and then short speaker wire from the monos to the speaker.

The best upgrade would be ditching the RX-V220 and the Outlaw monos and buying the A1400-8 if you really want to "electrify" your system.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 03:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Alex, the answer to that question depends on whether you're playing your system at a loudness level that exceeds the capacity of your 2200 and you're getting distortion in a noticeable amount. If not, adding a more powerful amplifier won't be of benefit. There's no magic in a separate amplifier or an amplifier with a higher maximum output capacity if it isn't needed. Unused headroom is simply that: unused.

By definition headroom is capacity on hand for when you need it. For HT it is very easy to clip a receiver amp and it happens often in every receiver based HT I have been in. John your position on this issue disregards the role that amp capacity and unused headroom has in cleanly reproducing peak audio signals. Its not worth debating this point.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/22/07 04:13 AM
Thanks for the answer John.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/23/07 11:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: alexadams77
Under the tree is a VP150 and QS8s. I just want to know if it would be a good purchase or not for the M2200's?

The best way to find out is the in-home trial. This topic is widely debated. Buy a pair and try them for your ears. Send them back if you don't like them. The return freight is worth the trial.

I have four of the M200s (the older model). They were on my 80s but now drive my surrounds and zone 2s. 3-channel amp now runs the fronts.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 03:54 AM
Alex,

When I turn up my 90W/channel amp "too much", the sound muddies because I end up getting too many reflections from my room's surfaces. By too much, I'm referring to about 15W/channel nominal in my 4,000 cubic foot space.

I keep wondering how much I'm going to have to spend on sound treatments if I want to take advantage of a few hundred watts in a new amp \:\) .
Posted By: jakewash Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 06:54 AM
Or is it muddying because the 90W isn't enough headroom and the peaks are clipping just a touch? I know the extra 40W in the 3808 has allowed me to run it louder and cleaner than I thought possible with such a modest increase.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 02:07 PM
I knew someone was going to bring this up \:\) .

I just don't know anymore. I am sure this question will be answered once I can get my hands on my buddy's 300W into 4 Ohms Sansui.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 02:16 PM
Beyond raw power, do not neglect the speed of a high quality power amp. I guess I'll be reporting my initial testing somewhere at the end of Jan when I get my new amp, the name of which escapes me at the moment... \:\)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 02:28 PM
Eric,

Are you sure that one will be enough \:\) ?
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 02:33 PM
I am ordering one whole 1400 per channel and doubling two new M80s in paralel to get that 1200W into 2Ohm! \:\) I made sure my insurance would cover any strutural dammage done to the house. I am, of course, kidding. Yes, one will be enough to cover for January and February. ;\)
Posted By: jakeman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 03:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
I knew someone was going to bring this up \:\) .

I just don't know anymore. I am sure this question will be answered once I can get my hands on my buddy's 300W into 4 Ohms Sansui.

Which Sansui model is it?
Posted By: Mojo Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 03:17 PM
I don't know off the top of my head but it comes with a hand-written test certificate out of the factory, signed by someone named Nakamura \:\) . It has some ridiculously low THD and frequency response deviation with 300W into 4 Ohms.
Posted By: jakeman Re: Mono blocks + m80 - 12/30/07 03:50 PM
The G-33000 was rated at 300w with excellent specs , a great piece much sought after from Sansui's glory days.
© Axiom Message Boards