Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Dave_Man Need your help guys! Subwoofers.... - 12/30/07 02:50 PM
Hello All!

So here is the deal. Boxing day at Futureshop I managed to get my hands on a Velodyne DPS-12 subwoofer for $150 (Normally $699). My question is that I have had my heart set on getting either the new EP350 or EP500. I realize that both of the Axiom subs will probably kill the Velodyne in performance, but my question is whether I should cancel the order on the Velodyne and start saving for the Axiom. Taking note of the retarded price I got on the sub. I don't have a set-aside budget yet for a sub, it just so happened that I got this one cheap. I watch lots of movies and listen to classical, and metal (I know.)
Posted By: Mojo Re: Need your help guys! Subwoofers.... - 12/30/07 03:12 PM
I haven't heard the Velo but personally, I would order the 500 to see what you may be missing. I would find out if it is possible to over-drive the Velo. Just because it's DSP-controlled doesn't mean that it can't be over-driven. The 500 on the other hand cannot be over-driven.

The Velo will most likely lack 3 Hz or so on the low end. This may or may not be that important to you.

$150 is a heck of deal for a sub like this!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Need your help guys! Subwoofers.... - 12/30/07 04:35 PM
Keep it, and then buy an Axiom sub later on. Then, just run both. They won't be matched, but I run unmatched subs and don't really notice a problem. That's a good deal. I've don't have experience with Velodyne, though.
Posted By: Dave_Man Re: Need your help guys! Subwoofers.... - 12/30/07 05:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Keep it, and then buy an Axiom sub later on. Then, just run both. They won't be matched, but I run unmatched subs and don't really notice a problem. That's a good deal. I've don't have experience with Velodyne, though.

That's what I was thinking as well. Hmmmm.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Need your help guys! Subwoofers.... - 12/31/07 04:09 AM
150 bucks for that sub is a pretty good deal. If it was me I'd keep it, just because the more subs you have placed correctly in a room, the better/flatter the freq response will be down lowwww. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards