Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Rideauman Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 01/02/08 02:50 PM
Hello Axiom owners,

I bought a Yamaha YHTB4590 HTiB package before the holidays. It consists of a RXV459 receiver (which I'm happy with) and small, crappy Yamaha speakers. As you can see, I'm less than thrilled with the Yamaha speaker performance.

So here's my question: Will I get a noticable improvement with a Axiom Epic Midi 125 package (M2 fronts, VP 100 center, QS4 rears, and EP125 sub)? I'm on a tight budget and speakers need to be "wife friendly" (i.e. SMALL).
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 01/02/08 03:12 PM
I had Yamaha speakers for a few months as emergency backup while shopping for new system. They were actually expensive (a friend of mine had paid over 1K$ for them) for the quality. The Epic Midi 125 will be a major improvement.

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 01/02/08 05:57 PM
Also keep in mind if you order from the factory outlet, you will receive 10% off, plus another 5% if you get a 5.1 setup.
Posted By: Rideauman Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 01/02/08 06:03 PM
Didn't know that - good information; thanks!
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 01/02/08 06:28 PM
At least upgrade to M3's, they will be a noticeable improvement and still are pretty small. QS8's are only $110 more and offer a big improvement over QS4's, so consider them, too.

While Axiom has awesome subs, other companies can beat them out especially in the lower price range. The HSU STF-2 is $349 and boasts a 10" woofer compared to the EP 125 which has an 8" woofer and is $430. The HSU STF-2 is a superb sub. It can't be beat for its price range. I highly recommend getting it, you'll save money and get a good performance boost. Get it here.

If you get just 5 speakers from axiom without the sub (2 mains, a center, and surrounds) you'll still get the home theater 5% discount.

Good luck getting everything wife approved!
Posted By: Rideauman Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/15/08 03:45 PM
Okay, from this late follow-up, you can see that I take forever to make a decision!

I've decided that I'm going to upgrade my speakers piece-meal, replacing the l+r fronts and the centre first, then replace the sub and rears later. I'm going to get the M3's and the VP100. My concern is these speakers will be used in conjunction with the Yamaha speakers that came with my HTiB. They are 6 Ohm and the Axiom's are 8 Ohm. Is this a concern? The receiver (RXV459) can be set to output either 6 or 8 Ohms. Is this advisable?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/15/08 04:00 PM
You shouldn't have a problem, the Axioms are an easy load. Leave your receiver in the 8 Ohm position.

Many of us have done the piecemeal system. It's a good way to go especially if you already have other components.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/15/08 04:04 PM
I would disagree with the M3 recommendation. If you are getting a sub, I would get the M2s over the M3s any day. The Clarity and honesty that comes out of the M2 is something to be envied. Purchasing an M2, you are really getting a mini-M22, with the same sonic qualities, crisp highs, and crystal clear mids. The M3 is more recessed in these qualities.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/16/08 03:08 AM
Rman, I'd also suggest that your first thought about M2s may have been the way to go for small speakers. If you haven't studied the SoundStage review with NRC measurements of the M2 it may be of interest.

As to the impedance setting, as Sean mentioned, leave it at 8 ohms. Receivers don't output at different ohms, that's a characteristic of the speakers. The amplifier has to be able to supply a certain voltage and current(governed by Ohm's Law)at a given instant in time, and if it can do so it doesn't matter what the impedance of the speaker is. The lower setting just reduces the maximum voltage(and therefore current and power)that can be output, and therefore would help prevent overheating, but reduces maximum power output by as much as half. Overheating should be of little or no concern, and the setting should be kept at the 8 ohm default.

Posted By: Rideauman Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/16/08 01:28 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will take a second look at the M2's. More affordable for sure.
Posted By: fredk Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/16/08 05:51 PM
Bah! Just buy the M80s and be done with it. ;\)

I wonder what the return shipping cost would be on a smaller set of speakers? It might be worth it to audition both and send one back.
Posted By: Rideauman Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/26/08 11:25 AM
So... I went with the M2's. What a difference! Music sounds fantastic! My only issue now is the rest of the surround system sounds really weak. I only got the pair of speakers - I should have at least got a center as well. Thanks for all the advice!
Posted By: fredk Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/26/08 04:02 PM
Excellent! You're on your way now. Just keep adding pieces as your budget allows.
Posted By: hietpas Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 05/30/08 07:13 PM
I have m2s as my rear with m22 as my main. I sort of went the way you did. I bought the receiver and a pair m2s. Then one day I said teh heck with it and i splurged (for my budget at the time) on a pair of m22s and a Hsu sub. Then I got the VP100. It sounds glorious. Next up on my list of things to buy are the QS8s to replace the m2s and a "future capable" receiver to replace my Yamaha. Probably a Denon 3808 or its little brother.
Posted By: Rideauman Re: Epic Midi 125 - good sound? - 06/03/08 07:25 PM
Hietpas, I'm moving towards the same set-up as you - except keeping the M2's as the fronts instead of the 22's you have. Very happy with what I have so far.
© Axiom Message Boards