Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Richard-n-Tejas New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/13/08 01:41 AM
Hi!I was hoping you guys and gals could help me w/ something. I am currently in the market to upgrade my system. Right now I have a yamaha 5840 (85 wpc @ 8ohm) pushing two old school large advents in the front. while this is a fairly pleasent set up, it leaves quite a bit to be desired. After spending about a month online researching, i have decided to give the axiom m60's a shot (if i like them, i would eventually like to have the whole HT setup)
Given my room size (12'x17') and my budget ($700 or less), can you recommend an amp or two, or barring that, a minimum wpc to run the m60's well..... i am leaning towards staying w/ yamaha, but I have been hearing good things about marantz....
well, thanks for your time guys!

~richard~
Posted By: doormat Re: New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/13/08 01:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: Richard-n-Tejas
... but I have been hearing good things about marantz....

Not from mdrew, you haven't!
Did it to me again
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/13/08 02:08 AM
Welcome Richard,

I would not discount your Yammy. You may find it makes those 60's sing. \:\) The m60's are very easy to drive and very efficient.

Are you going to order from the Axiom Factory Outlet to save 10%?
Posted By: doormat Re: New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/13/08 02:12 AM
I have the Sherwood Newcastle R771 (C$600, much cheaper down south) and really like it (also recommended by Axiom for driving 4 Ohm loads). If you need HDMI the R772 I believe is MSRP US$600.

As for Yamaha the RXV1700 at 130watts is in the $600 range.
yes, i was planning on ordering from the outlet...
that is one great deal!
 Originally Posted By: doormat
I have the Sherwood Newcastle R771 (C$600, much cheaper down south) and really like it (also recommended by Axiom for driving 4 Ohm loads). If you need HDMI the R772 I believe is MSRP US$600.

where had you seen the 1700 for $600??
Posted By: JohnK Re: New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/13/08 03:21 AM
Richard, welcome. You should be well-pleased with the M60s. As to the receiver, your "lean" is right: there's no good reason to assume that your 5840 wouldn't be fully satisfactory(as to power capability)with your M60s. Little weight should be given to what is "heard" from enthusiastic receiver owners. Keep in mind that power works on a logarithmic, rather than linear, basis; this means that even if the maximum rated power capacity was doubled(e.g. from 85 to 170 watts), the only result would be an ability to play brief peaks 3dB louder, e.g., 108dB rather than 105dB.

I was in this exact situation about two months ago. I bought a pair of 60s at xmas, and I was worried that my HK 347 (conservatively rated at a 55wpc) wouldn't be up to the task. Turned out not to be a problem at all. In stereo they go louder than I can stand, and sound nice and clear.

Enjoy your 60s...
Posted By: jakewash Re: New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/13/08 10:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: doormat

where had you seen the 1700 for $600??

They were on sale up here before and just after Christmas for $600. I am willing to bet some of the online retailers have them for this price.

Unless you want some of the newer features available on the newer avr's, you really don't need to worry about your present one. It has plenty of power for the M60s.
All you guys suck.

The guy wants to spend $700, has an acceptable receiver, and not ONE of you spent his money on a new EP350?

What the hell's wrong with you people????
Posted By: jakewash Re: New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/13/08 04:25 PM
\:D
Posted By: Hutzal Re: New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/13/08 05:48 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
All you guys suck.

What the hell's wrong with you people????

What exactly are you trying to imply here???
LOL! Thanks for the advice guys! with that in mind, i do believe i'll stick w/ my yammy, and maybe spend the money on the center instead....
Posted By: HAY Re: New user lookin' for some advice.... - 02/14/08 04:19 PM
LOL! Thanks for the advice guys! with that in mind, i do believe i'll stick w/ my yammy, and maybe spend the money on the center instead....

I would look at QS8's for surrond first and set the center to "phantom" on the receiver. You'll get a lot more enjoyment with surronds than the center.
© Axiom Message Boards