Axiom Home Page
Posted By: n8wrl Zune audio levels - 02/14/08 12:45 PM
Greetings all!

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore - with a rockin' Axiom HT setup at home, I had to get something for work, so a set of AudioBytes arrived yesterday and they sound great!

I wonder if anyone else is using a Zune with these speakers/Amp? I find the audio levels out of the Zune to be very low. With the earbuds, I can listen to music very comfortably with the volume set at 3-5 on the Zune. To get decent audio from the Axioms I have to set it to 13+ and then crank the Axiom amp to 2/3 or better. Has this happened to anyone else?

I also have an 'auxilliary audio' input device in my truck so I can listen thru the car speakers and I have the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Brian
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Zune audio levels - 02/14/08 04:29 PM
n8wrl -- " I wonder if anyone else is using a Zune "

Nope, you're the only person in the world! \:\)
Posted By: n8wrl Re: Zune audio levels - 02/14/08 05:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: JaimeG
n8wrl -- " I wonder if anyone else is using a Zune "

Nope, you're the only person in the world! \:\)

HA!

But I guess that's part of my anwer - I can bring in my wife's and see if I have the same problem.

I just wonder if this is some sort of impedence mismatch - microphone-level audio fed into something expecting line-level? That doesn't seem right becuase the AudioBytes are for computer audio and have the 1/8 jack.

-Brian
Posted By: doormat Re: Zune audio levels - 02/14/08 06:51 PM
Well, generally speaking, earbuds are really small speakers sitting directly in the ear, so the volume is obviously going to be quite low. To fill a space outside of your head it's gonna need to be cranked.
If I hook up my Zen Nomad to my Yammy/M2s I also need to crank up the volume.
Posted By: Murph Re: Zune audio levels - 02/14/08 06:56 PM
No Zune, No Audiobytes.
However, I can tell you that anybody who plugs in their MP3 player to the Aux. jack on my car MP3 deck always has to crank their MP3's volume to get sound. This includes my Creative Zen. This seems to indicate an electrical weakness between most MP3 players and larger devices with aux. inputs.

I can't comment on a Zune in my Jeep because you are the only Zune user in the world. If the 80GB ever makes it to Canada, I might be number two.
Posted By: n8wrl Re: Zune audio levels - 02/14/08 07:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
No Zune, No Audiobytes.
However, I can tell you that anybody who plugs in their MP3 player to the Aux. jack on my car MP3 deck always has to crank their MP3's volume to get sound. This includes my Creative Zen. This seems to indicate an electrical weakness between most MP3 players and larger devices with aux. inputs.

I can't comment on a Zune in my Jeep because you are the only Zune user in the world. If the 80GB ever makes it to Canada, I might be number two.

I look forward to the company - I hate being the only one. Thanks for the info!

-Brian
Posted By: Wid Re: Zune audio levels - 02/14/08 07:05 PM

Using a Zen Vision M with my Rotel equipment and M80s I too have to push the volume a tad more than when playing cds. Looks pretty universal to me.
Posted By: zhimbo Re: Zune audio levels - 02/15/08 02:23 PM
I always set my Creative player to nearly max output when I connect it to either my headphone amp or my powered computer speakers (non-Audiobyte).
© Axiom Message Boards