Axiom Home Page
Hi All,

I have come down to Epic Midi set up (M2, QS4 and VP100) vs. Aperion (532, 534 and 533). My maximum height for the front L/R has been to less than 12.5 inches in height. Are these two the best speakers out there for < $1600. Also, Aperion 532 ($180 each) runs more than Axiom M2 ($150 each). Can you all comment on M2 vs. 532. Then also as a package. I am planning to pick up a HSU VTF2-MK3 for my setup.

Thank you all,
Joseph
oh yea, my other option was Klipsch RB51/RC52/RS42. Please provide your own experience.

Aperion - $1630 w/ HSU sub
Klipsch - $1500 w/ HSU sub
Axiom Epic Midi - $1500 w/ HSU sub

I am willing to spend up to $500.00 for the front L/R if I can find one that is less than 12.5 inches in height. (bookshelf constraint).

Thank you,
Joseph
Posted By: JohnK Re: Compact HT Speakers - Epic Midi or not??? - 02/20/08 04:17 AM
Joseph, welcome. It would be unlikely that you'll be able to find worthwhile info on an M2/532 comparison. A meaningful comparison would be at the same place, same time, same music material, played at the same sound level, etc. It's unlikely that you'll find someone who's done this.

I'll suggest that with the height restriction that you've specified, the M2 should be an ideal choice when combined with that good sub. If you haven't studied it before, you should check the M2 SoundStage review and NRC measurements .

I'll also suggest that the very broad dispersion of the QS4s would make it the superior choice for the surrounds.

Another point is if that bookshelf placement is absolutely necessary, try to have the front edges of the speakers at least flush with the front edge of the shelf rather than recessed, to minimize reflections and refractions.
How much is the HSU sub? Have you considered the new EP350v3 from Axiom, that way you could have a matching finish and great performance all from Axiom. \:\) Also, the FO would give you 10% discount.
The HSU sub that I was eyeing on is $500.00.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html
I know someone on here just posted about that sub and they really liked it.

I agree with JohnK, the QS series are the hands down winner for surrounds. It's unfortunate you can't go bigger for the mains.
Posted By: Wid Re: Compact HT Speakers - Epic Midi or not??? - 02/21/08 03:55 PM

The Hsu sub is a great sub in the $500 range. You will be very pleased with it's performance.
In that price range this might be considered:

eD A3-300

Posted By: Wid Re: Compact HT Speakers - Epic Midi or not??? - 02/21/08 04:23 PM

The eD would be good one too although I haven't heard one myself they do get great reviews.
Thank you, Jakewash. I know, I just wish that I am not limited to 11.6" in height from the main speakers.

By the way, can you provide some recommendation (of course, I am considering Axiom M2).

Budget from the main is $350-650 +/-50.
Anything I have heard in that small of a speaker really start to sound the same to me as long as they were of equal quality, ie. Axiom, Paradigm, Energy. I think there is only so much one can do with small drivers and enclosure. They are all very nice sounding speakers with subtle differences that you will have to make your choice on.
thank you
© Axiom Message Boards