Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mcad64 Used, really used or new - 04/16/08 11:55 AM
Hello all,
I am still in the hunt for an amplifier(s). Call it upgradeitis. Here are my options: New Outlaw 7125, Used (roughly 6-8 years old) parasound HCA 855a or very used (circa mid 80's ) 2 Bryston 3bs, a 3b pro and a 4b(all or in combination). I realize I am talking about one 7 channel amp, one 5 channel amp and 4 2 channel amps so it may be apples to oranges. But let's talk anyway!! ;\) I would be driving 7 M22's, or 5 or 2, you get the point? Do I base it on name or strictly go for watts per dollar? Sadly, I am unable to hear any of them? Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: Murph Re: Used, really used or new - 04/16/08 12:02 PM
My opinion is that, I wouldn't worry about 'hearing' the amps. They will all sound virtually the same unless you plan on playing them so loud that you discover the limits of their capabilities and that would be pretty loud.

If you like it LOUDDDDDD and need to fill a huge room, then more wattage will take you further. Otherwise, pick the one with all the connectors and features you would ever think to need.

There are some emp & receiver experts here who can help more. The above is just to get you thinking more about future proofing the amp.
© Axiom Message Boards