Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Wish What model model front do you have and why - 04/24/08 01:56 PM
Just found this Axiom forum which is great since they, along with Ascend, are my final considerations for new speakers.

If I go Axiom I'm going VP-100 for the center and QS4 for the surround. What I'm having trouble with is picking the fronts. I'm interested in knowing not so much which you'd recommend, because each person will likely just recommend the one they bought, as much as WHY you went with that speaker for your front.

For example:
Room size (and if so what are your dimensions)?
You were looking for a slightly brighter sound M2 was more that kind?
You don't have a sub & the M60 suits your need with its low freq. ability?
Money (i.e. may have wanted the M60/M80 but it was out of reach)?

My situation is a 10' X 21' room (long but narrow). I will have a Hsu sub so low freq won't be an issue so book shelfs like the M2 or M3 are certainly a viable option.

The M50 is out (if I'm going floor I'm moving up to M60) and the M80 is out (too much speaker for my need and will push me above my spending limit). I'm looking at the M2, M3, M22 & M60.

Thanks
M60

That's my simple vote.
Posted By: Wish Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/24/08 02:42 PM
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
M60

That's my simple vote.
OK but WHY did you buy the M60? What were your reasons?
If i can find the thread from 6 years ago, i'll repost it.
I just hate repeating myself.
I mean, i really hate repeating myself.

Here's my first review of M60s.
And here is a thread where i reviewed M40s and M60s and uncannily foresaw three Axiom innovations that i did not know about after our trip to the Factory in '04.

factory tour

I have the m80's but out of your choices I would pick the m60 or m22... That is just based on stuff I have heard around hear- the only mains I have ever heard from axiom are the m80's
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/24/08 04:12 PM
There have been changes to the line since 2004, as far as I know, though.

I originally bought the M50s, mainly because of WAF and cost. I enjoyed them quite a lot. Then I got the M80s and compared them to the M50s. The 80s blew them away.

At this point, I'm sorry to say that I'd be looking at the M60s and the M80s. Of course, my point about things changing since 2004 may also apply to the 50s. I haven't heard any M50v2s.
My room is 20 X 16 and I recently went with the M80's. Although the 60's would have likely been sufficient for my space, I wanted something more than just sufficient. To be honest, I never even gave the 60's much consideration at all since I just knew I wanted the biggest speakers Axiom makes. I have a 3-year-old at home, so I also wanted something that will sound great at low volume and, from all I read, the M80's fit that bill. I've only had them now for a few weeks, but I must say I am not dissapointed in my decision.
Posted By: DaveG Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/24/08 05:20 PM
I chose M22s for my fronts in a 26' X15' space, family room open to kitchen. I selected the 222 for their clarity and detail, space considerations and WAF ruled out towers. Along with a good sub, EP500 in my case, they provide a pleasing soundstage.
Posted By: fredk Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/24/08 06:08 PM
I will be ordering the M80 shortly. It was a simple decision for me. I wanted fronts for music first and the M80 just produces a nicer sound: more detail, more open top end, more bass.

My room dimensions are 11x20x8.

I didn't do enough listening with the M22 and M60 to give a very meaningful comparison. I was also comparing M22+sub vs M60.

I did comparisons up the line with several other makes of speakers and always found that the larger the speaker was, the more detail, bass and soundstage there were. The M22 is a little different in that regard though because of the driver configuration.

Don't know if that helps at all...
I think the M80 posse would say that the M80s have more bass, more midrange and more detail.

My response to that would be to turn the volume down, dammit! \:\)
Dumb question: the M80 would *appear* to be the M60 with a second, identical midrange driver, yet the specs are slightly different. How does adding a midrange improve the bass and treble?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/24/08 11:53 PM
Note also the additional tweeter, and the 2 inches of increased height and 2 inches of increased depth--that last being a crucial part.
Oh duh. For some reason I'd thought the M60 had two tweeters.
Posted By: grunt Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/25/08 04:19 AM
Got the M80s.

Room size: 19x12x8

I considered bookshelves because I’m sitting close (7 feet) but decided to future proof myself with the M80s. Happy I did because the M80s allow me to feel the punch of the bass coming from the direction of the on screen explosions and such in movies. I also prefer how they sound with music over bookshelves. One problem is controlling the bass coming from them is harder do to placement constraints which wouldn’t be an issue if I was getting all my lower bass from just the subwoofer. But I feel it’s worth the tradeoff to feel the directional punch in the chest.
Posted By: Wish Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/25/08 12:54 PM
Good responses with some surprises IMO.

1. Lots of people using the top of the line M80.
2. No one uses the M2 or M3 for fronts? The Axiom rep actually recommended the M2 for my setup (room size of 10' x 21' and 80/20 HT/music ratio).

For those using the M60 or M80 how many of you have a sub vs no sub (therefore counting on the M60/M80) for bass. I see in grunt's response he uses the M80 with no sub. How about the others?

I ask because I have an older Velodyne sub that I was going to replace with a Hsu. If the M60 can produce enough bass maybe I'd be better off just using the older sub and taking the money I would have spent on the sub and upgrading to the large towers.
FYI

I have my m80's in a 20x13 living room and they sound great.

I went with the M60's for the following reasons.

1. If I bought M22s (and speaker stands) the price would be pretty close to the M60s so the M22s weren't a cost saving for me.

2. I thought the M60s were quite cost effective compared to the M80s and I thought they looked better with the grille on. Please don't take this as a slam against the M80s, they are Axioms flagship line and are amazing. For some reason I've never felt the need to upgrade to the M80s.

I am using them with a very old EP350, it's so old the serial number ends with "BC"

I will however admit to wanting to upgrade everything to the VaSSallo Series, at that time I'll decide if I want to move up to the 80s.

3. Room size is approx 21'x17' with an archway to the front hall.
Room has wall to wall carpeting, fireplace and many many (too many perhaps) bits of artwork on the wall. Also contains a sofa, sofa table coffe table, two end tables, 2 wing chairs and numerous other bits and bobs. Certainly not a "bright" room.

4. I made the decision to buy Axioms based on the design of the QS series of speakers, after that everthing else fell into place.

Good luck with your choice, I'm not sure there is really a "wrong" way to go, just a lot of "good" ones.
Posted By: Wish Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/25/08 06:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: FordPrefect
2. I thought the M60s were quite cost effective compared to the M80s and I thought they looked better with the grille on. Please don't take this as a slam against the M80s, they are Axioms flagship line and are amazing. For some reason I've never felt the need to upgrade to the M80s.

I am using them with a very old EP350, it's so old the serial number ends with "BC"
Interesting. My current options given my $1500 budget are:
OPTION 1: M22s(fronts w/ stands) + VP100 + QS4 + new Hsu sub
OPTION 2: M60 + VP100 + QS4 + Use OLD sub (Velodyne CT-100)
OPTION 3: M60 + VP100 + Use old surround (Polk Audio RT f/x) + new Hsu sub
OPTION 4: M80 + VP100 + Use old surround (Polk Audio RT f/x) + Use old sub (Velodyne CT-100)

So you'd be similar to option 2 (new 5.0 & old sub). Of course this all depends on just HOW old and serviceable ones sub is. I'm really leaning to options 2 or 3 which is to move up to the M60 and make a sacrifice of either the surrounds or sub. IMO the sub is more important but I think I have more life in the sub than I do with my Polk surrounds.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/25/08 06:16 PM
Sacrifice the sub. That can always come later. The Axiom surrounds are world beaters.
I would go option 2 as well and then start saving for a great sub not just one that you can afford right now. The Ep350v3 is worth the extra money(and wait) as are the SVS and Hsu subs for the same money.
Posted By: grunt Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/25/08 08:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: wish

I see in grunt's response he uses the M80 with no sub. How about the others?

I should clarify that I do use a sub, the EP500, for movies and video games but not for music. For games and movies I think a sub is a must. What I do is set the crossover for my M80s at 60 or even 40 rather than the usual 80 that most people use. That way more of the bass still goes to the M80s rather than being redirected to the sub. This it lets me feel the direction the bass is coming from when it comes out of the left/right mains. Having spent a lot of time around things that go boom I think it feels more realistic.

Of your options I would also pick #2 for the same reasons stated above.
 Quote:
What model front do you have and why

The male one.

I dunno...just always had.....
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
 Quote:

The male one.

\:D
Posted By: CV Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/26/08 03:05 AM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
 Quote:

The male one.

Plus size model?
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Sacrifice the sub. That can always come later. The Axiom surrounds are world beaters.

This does seem to match the majority of posts that I've seen here and on avsforums, which support the idea that the sub (if any) is the least important to match to the rest of the system, so

OPTION 2: M60 + VP100 + QS4 + Use OLD sub (Velodyne CT-100)

of the options you list would be the standout.

Note that if you go factory outlet, you can upgrade the center to a VP150 or the surrounds to QS8 with the savings.
Posted By: Wish Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/26/08 03:57 PM
Interesting that everyone likes option 2 (old sub with M60s). That's also how I'm leaning.

Let me throw one more scenario out there. I've heard from many that as good as Axiom's mains are that the QS surrounds might be the pride & joy. That said would you move from the QS4 to the QS8 if you had to sacrifice floor mains?

OPTION A: M22 + QS8 + (with VP-100 & Velodyne CT-100 sub)
OPTION B: M60 + QS4 + (with VP-100 & Velodyne CT-100 sub)

The advice from current owner is very appreciated!
That's a tough call. In the greater scheme of things the M22s could always be traded back in, sold off or moved to another room to make way for M80s later on. The QS8s really are the better of the 2 QS series. I did go the exact route I just described, so that is my vote, OPTION A. I lived with my old sub for many years and am just now getting around to replacing it and I would bet it isn't as good as your old Velo.
Posted By: DaveG Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/27/08 12:51 PM
If it were me having to choose I would do option A, theQS8s are incredible speakers. The M22s with sub sound really good.
Posted By: HAY Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/27/08 02:28 PM
I would go M60, QS8, phantom center and look at using your current sub then moving to a 350 or equivalant.
Posted By: Wish Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/28/08 03:37 PM
Wow. Some of you guys surprised me with the choice of M22 & QS8 over M60 & QS4.

Is it that the QS8 is that much better than the QS4 or is it that the M22 with a sub is that close to the M60?

I know the QS4 is highly thought of but I'm getting the impression that the QS8 is a quantum leap in surround.
Posted By: Mojo Re: What model model front do you have and why - 04/28/08 03:47 PM
I can recall at least one board member reviewing the QS4 against the QS8 and the QS8s are far better. As for the M22 vs. the M60, the M60 sound is more laid back and not as surgically precise. If you like "clean", crystal-clear sound go for the M22s. If you like your music more laid back, go for the 60s. Heck, go for both! The M60s with the M22s hooked up to A & B and stacked on top of each other sound phenomenal...better than the M80s. When you want laid back, just switch the M22s off. When you want surgically precise switch the M60s off. When you want the best of both, turn them both on.
© Axiom Message Boards