Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Rick32 Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/24/08 09:44 PM
Hi,

Next week I will pull the trigger on the M80...

My last interrogation is the color?

I tend to prefer black because it fit with everything but the Boston Cherry look pretty good.

Is Boston Cherry color will still be fashion in 3, 5 or 10 years?

I have the impression that black will stay for ever.

Boston Cherry or black?

Owners, what do you think ?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Posted By: Haoleb Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/24/08 10:34 PM
Boston Cherry

Black is just soo.. Plain. and Big box store speakerish. Now if you really want to splurge, High Gloss Cherry ;\)
Posted By: turbo16v Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/25/08 12:56 AM
I say wait until the next High Gloss Cherry promo... They are sooooo nice \:\)

I have a sample of BC and HGC. In my opinion the HGC looks much richer and more like real wood.
Posted By: Rick32 Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/25/08 12:35 PM
Thanks for your help...

Another question to the owners of the Boston Cherry color. Is this color is easy to match with the rest of your room?

And, is this color attracts too much of attention when lessening or watching a movie?

Is the texture reflective?

Thanks,

Eric
Posted By: h317 Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/25/08 02:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: Rick32

And, is this color attracts too much of attention when lessening or watching a movie?

Is the texture reflective?

No, the texture is not reflective and it never distracts me when I watch TV or listen to music.

Posted By: nickbuol Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/25/08 02:12 PM
I went through the same thought process years ago and thought, yes black blends in to the room, but they look like speakers bought at Best Buy. I wanted something not flashy, but more "rich" looking. Solid woods weren't available back then, so I went Boston Cherry. I really like them and they work well with just about any colors in your room. I've had mine against tan, white, flat black, grey, and a couple of shades of blue, and they look good wherever they are.

The texture, if I would have to comment on reflectiveness, is more matte than glossy, so in a dimmed room, you will end up getting about the same level of reflectiveness from the boston cherry as you would black anyway since the light is more difused on the surface regardless of color.
Posted By: Rick32 Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/25/08 03:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I went through the same thought process years ago and thought, yes black blends in to the room, but they look like speakers bought at Best Buy. I wanted something not flashy, but more "rich" looking. Solid woods weren't available back then, so I went Boston Cherry. I really like them and they work well with just about any colors in your room. I've had mine against tan, white, flat black, grey, and a couple of shades of blue, and they look good wherever they are.

The texture, if I would have to comment on reflectiveness, is more matte than glossy, so in a dimmed room, you will end up getting about the same level of reflectiveness from the boston cherry as you would black anyway since the light is more difused on the surface regardless of color.

Thanks for the info, that really help me. It is true that black is a bit Best Buy look. I think I will go for Boston Cherry.

Eric
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/25/08 03:44 PM
Not to confuse the topic but I've often thought that a black center channel with Boston Cherry mains would also work well.
Posted By: Bayne Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/25/08 05:00 PM
Look at the photos of my HT room in the gallery section. I was able to easily match my seating and the stain of my custom made AV unit to the Boston Cherry Axiom's.
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/27/08 08:05 PM
 Originally Posted By: turbo16v
I say wait until the next High Gloss Cherry promo... They are sooooo nice \:\)

They do promos? \:o Do tell. Do they offer the HGC for the regular price or something?
Posted By: myrison Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/27/08 08:57 PM
They have in the past, but it ended a little over a month ago and it only comes around so often (and not so terribly often I don't think). Even though I got my system during the promo, it's worth the extra 12% for the HG Cherry IMHO. \:\)
Posted By: Rick32 Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/27/08 10:04 PM
Do someone have pictures of the HG Cherry speakers ?

Thanks,

Eric
Posted By: eraser Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/28/08 04:45 AM
Sure,

More here:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199066&fpart=1
Posted By: anthony11 Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/28/08 10:35 AM
 Originally Posted By: myrison
They have in the past, but it ended a little over a month ago and it only comes around so often (and not so terribly often I don't think). Even though I got my system during the promo, it's worth the extra 12% for the HG Cherry IMHO. \:\)

Closer to 20%, actually :-/ I can understand why the real wood veneers would cost more, but not why they have four kinds of vinyl for the regular price and a bunch more vinyl wraps for a significantly higher price. I wouldn't think that their material cost would differ that much.
Posted By: Rick32 Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/28/08 11:04 AM

Thanks that really help!!

Eric
Posted By: Murph Re: Black oak or Boston Cherry ? - 04/28/08 12:09 PM
I'm not a black fan either. I agree it looks to big box store like. I have Boston Cherry and love them. I don't have the sweet glossy finish but people often mistake mine for having a real wood finish. I love the pictures of the high gloss cherry but I too wonder if they might have been a bit much when I move them into a dedicated projection theater room. That is if I ever actually get time to finish it. Still a wall and a half of drywall to go.
© Axiom Message Boards