Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jhunt17 M60 as center channel? - 05/04/08 02:41 PM
I was just wondering if you could put a m60 on its side and get a better center because of its lower range? I assume there is a reason why you don't do this, but I just wondered if it could work better or not? thanks
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M60 as center channel? - 05/04/08 02:49 PM
Generally when people use the towers (or bookshelves) as centers, they use them vertically for better dispersion. They're designed to be used vertically, not horizontally. I imagine that without a symmetrical driver array, it would sound pretty weird.

There's also the aspect of how to hold it in place--it's got those slanted sides, and it's also pretty deep. But heck, you've got the things, you know that already. ;\)
Posted By: ratpack Re: M60 as center channel? - 05/06/08 02:20 AM
There have been multiple threads on this board over the years suggesting center speakers other than the VP 100/150.

I remember that the folks at Axiom answered a few of them.

You might do a board search and find some of those old threads. I think that they may answer your questions.
Posted By: anthony11 Re: M60 as center channel? - 05/20/08 09:06 AM
The search interface only seems to go back a year at most, though.

I've been trying to find discussions of using an M22 vertically (instead of a VP150) for a center with a pair of M60's or M80's but haven't found much. Externally there seems to be support for the idea of a vertical center mostly out of concern for cancellation/reinforcement "phase" effects from redundant drivers as in the VP150.
© Axiom Message Boards