Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jhunt17 Noticable difference between 60 and 80's - 05/04/08 02:58 PM
Wondering if there is a difference between the 60 and 80. Is it an audible difference? I was thinking I might use my 60s for the other room so I can use my old reciever, but I might just end up getting the bookshelves.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Noticable difference between 60 and 80's - 05/04/08 03:23 PM
See bullet 1.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=177510#Post177510
Yes there is a difference, otherwise Axiom would not have different models. I've owned both for many years and would say for normal listening, most people would not notice a difference. The 80's are a bit more detailed overall based on the additional tweeters/midrange. In addition, they can handle more power and play louder. The 60's are great speakers, unless you have to have the top of the line.
Posted By: ClayB Re: Noticable difference between 60 and 80's - 05/04/08 05:45 PM
Also, take into account what your personality type says. If there is any chance that if you bought the 60s you would later wonder/wish you should have gone top-of-the-range and got the 80s, get the 80s. When you figure you might keep them for 7 years, the monthly cost on the difference is 4 bucks.
 Originally Posted By: ClayB
the monthly cost on the difference is 4 bucks.

For how many months \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: Noticable difference between 60 and 80's - 05/04/08 07:24 PM
Also take into account what you are listening to. From what I have read here and elswhere, the M80s are not that forgiving of poorly recorded material, which includes a lot of pop and rock, particularly the more recent stuff.

I could hear the difference between them in an a/b listening environment. The music and bands I like tend to be better recorded and I was choosing a music first system so I went with the M80.

I would also probably have been happy with the M60 had I never heard the 80's
Posted By: Mojo Re: Noticable difference between 60 and 80's - 05/04/08 07:33 PM
You just need to let the 80s break in real good and then they are good with anything.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Noticable difference between 60 and 80's - 05/05/08 02:55 AM
If you can afford it, go for the best and get the 80s!!

I don't think that you will regret the decision.
Well for me when I was A/Bing the 2 I found the M80 detail was there at all volume levels, the M60 needs to be turned up abit more to achieve the same level of detail.

Have you ever noticed how the M60s open up and become more airy when the volume is quite loud, say 80-90db? That is about how the M80s sound all the time, IMO.
© Axiom Message Boards