Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Tarun Small Receiver or Amplifier - 05/05/08 01:31 PM
Hello All,
Been a WHILE!!!

So I have an odd ball request. I have 2 - M3's and a EP125 that were connected to a small OLD creative labs receiver. The receiver was the size of a dictionary. Anyhow...it has passed.
These speakers were connected to a MAC for some sound editing and stuff and they ARE perfect!!!

I need an amplifier/receiver with a VERY small footprint for this setup. The receiver sat on top of the 125 under a desk and thus it needs to be small.

Any advice on receivers???

-Tarun
Posted By: eraser Re: Small Receiver or Amplifier - 05/05/08 01:49 PM
Sonic Impact has a small amp similar to the Creative you had previously. (http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4046)
I don't own one personally but they look rather neat.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Small Receiver or Amplifier - 05/05/08 02:02 PM
You could also have a look at this small Denon:
http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/2982.asp#
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Small Receiver or Amplifier - 05/06/08 09:08 PM
I have one of these

T-Amp V2

powering a pair of M22's in our bedroom. This is purely an amplifier only and not a receiver, so no switched inputs or anything fancy. The build quality is about as cheap as you can possibly imagine, but the sound quality is pretty incredible for the price*. I'm quite happy with it, anyway.

*Just checked that site and the price has increased from when I bought it. I ordered mine at the end of March for $50, and that was a bit high compared to the 'old' price of around $30. I see that the price is now $70! I don't know. I'd look around and see if you can get a better price. $70+shipping is getting close to the point where you could almost get a refurb AVR from somewhere. My $.02.
Posted By: wesley63 Re: Small Receiver or Amplifier - 05/07/08 03:56 AM
Tweak City Audio (tweakcityaudio.com) is a new company just starting up that is going to have a 25 Watt/channel digital amp as one of their first products. I was going to get one to drive a pair of M3's that I have. The amp will probably be available late June or early July.

Jim
Posted By: Tarun Re: Small Receiver or Amplifier - 05/07/08 02:28 PM
Thanks for the advice thus far.
I think what I failed to mention is that I need something with an optical input.... Sorry.... The search continues.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Small Receiver or Amplifier - 05/08/08 02:15 AM
Tarun, the EP125 has about a 12"x12" top, so if you don't go beyond those dimensions you've greatly restricted your choice of amplifier/receiver. Consider using a sheet of plywood, etc. maybe 17" wide on top of the 125 so that you can place one of the usual width inexpensive receivers there.
© Axiom Message Boards