Axiom Home Page
Posted By: jakewash Multiple drivers? - 05/05/08 06:46 PM
I found this from Polk Audio and thought it applied nicely to Axiom. It answers the question as to why multiple drivers.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Multiple drivers? - 05/06/08 02:12 AM
That is an interesting description, but I think that you can take it only so far. Otherwise, you would NOT see the really big speakers that bands, civic centers, etc. have.

But, interesting, nevertheless!
Posted By: ClayB Re: Multiple drivers? - 05/06/08 05:55 AM
 Originally Posted By: ratpack
That is an interesting description, but I think that you can take it only so far. Otherwise, you would NOT see the really big speakers that bands, civic centers, etc. have.

I'm not sure anyone would call the PA systems used in large concerts audiophile quality! Seems to me that are more interested in speaker efficiency, low base, and impressive (to teenagers) looks!

The advantages of multi drivers in speakers is well understood in high-end audio. Cerwin-Vega not withstanding, most high end speakers have gone this route.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Multiple drivers? - 05/06/08 11:26 AM
Jason. interesting read thanks for the link.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Multiple drivers? - 05/06/08 05:08 PM
Ratpack, you can take it farther than you think. The concept still applies as you move up in scale. A civic center or stadium has a much larger volume than your living room so, naturally, larger drivers are employed to fill the venue with sound; however, does a band playing in a stadium use only a few huge speaker cones in a few boxes? Nope. They use huge arrays of many smaller drivers. Each subwoofer enclosure -- look down at stage level for large black boxes -- has multiple drivers in it, as well.

It is almost always better to split the duty between multiple drivers.
Posted By: myrison Re: Multiple drivers? - 05/06/08 07:26 PM
From that article:
 Quote:
The smaller drivers yield faster transient response, which results in more detail and a tighter sound.

This has been my own uneducated theory on why my car subwoofer gives me the "tight" snappy bass that I like and the bigger home theater woofers have a harder time reproducing that sound. Mojo, how big is the woofer on your super snappy Sony sub? (say that 5 times fast)
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Multiple drivers? - 05/06/08 07:44 PM
My bud's sub (Yamaha) that's 'super snappy' I'd say is 6 1/2 to 7". I've tried removing the grill but had a hard time and didn't want to damage it. I don't know if it's dual driver or ported, but there are no visible ports on the sides or back.

I believe Mojo's Sony is a 12 incher.
Posted By: myrison Re: Multiple drivers? - 05/06/08 07:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: Spoiler

I believe Mojo's Sony is a 12 incher.

Doh, theory blown already! \:o
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Multiple drivers? - 05/06/08 08:14 PM
It may be a sealed design tho.
© Axiom Message Boards