Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gja Rear channel hook up - 05/10/08 06:52 PM
Just purchased a second set of QS4s to get ready for 7.1 with Bluray. Wondering what would be the best way to hook them up. I have a 3806 Denon and have the flexibility to hook up rear surrounds or back surrounds. Is there a difference?
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/10/08 07:53 PM
What does the 3806 manual suggest you do?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/10/08 08:40 PM
Presumably you already have side surrounds hooked up, no? The extra side channel is just that, an extra side channel. You need the back channel.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/10/08 10:48 PM
"Rear" and "back" surrounds are the same thing to me. Sounds like you are currently using "surrounds" or "side surrounds" as in 5.1. For 7.1 you would hook your "Rears" to the appropriate jacks on the back of your Denon.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/10/08 11:11 PM
The 3808 has surround A, surround B, as well as surround back. I would guess for 7.1 you would use the surround back for the back speakers, and A or B for the side surrounds.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/10/08 11:21 PM
Oh, and as a note when using the surround back as your 7.1 channels you need to go into the menu in the amp assign mode and assign it to 7.1.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/11/08 03:31 AM
GJ, welcome. No, the flexibility available isn't of the sort that you mention. You hook up the QS4 side surrounds to the A (or B) side surround terminals(the flexibility is that some users can hook up two sets of side surrounds and choose between the A and B speakers, e.g. multipoles vs monopoles). The QS4 back surrounds would of course be connected to the back surround terminals.
Posted By: gja Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/11/08 11:32 AM
Probably should have been more clear. Yes I am using "side" suurounds with my current QS4s. I will hook up the new ones to the back channels when they get here.

Thanks for helping out.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/11/08 12:53 PM
your system will rock. \:\)
Posted By: gja Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/17/08 11:28 AM
Received my QS4s and I'm getting ready to hook them up. Now I have another placement question.

I have seen two different setups;

1) Rears placed on the rear wall in the middle of the room.
http://thx.com/home/setup/speakers/71.html

2)Rears on rear wall towards the corners.
http://dts.com/dts-hd/71-traditional.php

What is your opinion about both setups. Which one would be more beneficial with Bluray( not yet but soon)

Thanks
Posted By: jakewash Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/17/08 04:31 PM
Take some ladders or some friends and ry them out in each to position to find out which one sounds better in your room.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/18/08 02:07 AM
GJ, although the THX literature doesn't emphasize the point, the placement of the back surround speakers close together is only for use with the THX Advanced Speaker Array processing which electronically "expands" them. The general recommendation is that the back surrounds should be separated widely enough so that listeners could experience both a left and a right effect behind them. A good rule-of-thumb would be to have them separated by at least as much as the distance that they're behind the listening position.
Posted By: gja Re: Rear channel hook up - 05/18/08 11:41 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Got them hooked up last night and all I can say is the immersion in the movie is better than ever.

I ended up spacing them apart by about a 1/3 of the wall, i.e. 1 speaker at 1/3 and the second at about 2/3 total wall distance. Now I just need Panasonic to get that DPM50 out!!
© Axiom Message Boards