Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Max3 Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 05:35 AM
I bought a VP150, a pair of m22's for the mains, and then a pair of qs8's and a pair of qs4's. What I want to know is should I use the QS8's as my rears, or my side surrounds. I just need to know where the superior sound of the QS8's vs. the QS4's will be best utilized in my 7.1.

My listening dimensions are roughly this; I sit on a couch, 5.5ft in front of me are my center channel, and front mains, slightly beyond an arms grasp are my sides, and less than a foot behind me are my rears. I must say the 'big ass headphones' approach is nice for me because it's usually only for me that this little cinema is being used. But any suggestions on making this a better listening environment before my speakers arrive are welcomed.

And last, but not least, are ALL Axiom orders shipped air?? Because it JUST arrived at the FedEx in Mississ? Ontario and I live 40hrs (according to mapquest) away. It's already been 6 days since my order. I just thought it should have arrived by now and it isn't even officially on it's way. Also, with such a large order should I expect a multi box shipment in one day? Or do I need to suffer through SEVERAL days of shipments before getting all 7 speakers?? Just wondering, any help is GREATLY appreciated!! I have been visiting this site for over 5 years, filling and unfilling my shopping cart in anticipation of the day that I could actually ORDER! This is more or less a mini dream come true for me. \:D

max
Posted By: JohnK Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 07:37 AM
Max, welcome. Generally there's more side surround output than output for the back surrounds, so it would be better to place the QS8s as the side surrounds. With so little room behind you to form a rear soundfield, even with the very wide QS4 dispersion there may not be optimum back surround(generally at least 4' of room behind the listeners is desirable). Experiment, of course, and your speakers will certainly sound excellent even if more space behind you would be ideal.

Don't know the reason for the delay that you mention, but when they do arrive it should be one delivery.

Congratulations, and you'll soon be enjoying great sound!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 10:01 AM
Welcome Max, I agree with John, use the QS8's as the side surrounds and the QS4's as rears.

So far as the delay, did you order from the Factory Outlet? If so that would account for the longer delay, if not I would suspect that Axiom had a run of your finish choice and this made for the delay. Axiom usually never ships air, so expect at least 2-3 days if not more, as I am sure your speakers will be held up at the border.\:\(
Posted By: myrison Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 12:15 PM
I ordered 7 speakers at once from Axiom (to Texas) and they arrived on 2 different days because half of the shipment was held at customs for 1 day and the other half somehow "slipped through" border security. ;\) I joked at the time how I loved my new 4.1 Axiom system. In truth though, it took me nearly a day to get the first four setup and mounted, so the extra day delay really didn't bother me. It was like Christmas two days in a row with the UPS guy. \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 12:45 PM
I agree about using the Qs8's for the sides and the Qs4's as rears..
Posted By: Murph Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 02:20 PM
Pockets for the sides and extra padding for the rears.

Oh, wait. Thought we were talking about biker's shorts.
Posted By: Max3 Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 06:00 PM
Bad news....my speakers are now delayed until 'no sooner than next tuesday.' The reason was 'paperwork problems.' I placed the order on the 14th, 7 days later they are 'on their way.' Not too happy about it I must admit. Anyhow, should probably stop before I start ranting.

So, behind me, there is about 6 ft from the couch to the wall. I have the rear speakers directly behind me because they are small little satellite speakers and I am the only one I am trying to impress. But I could move them farther back if that would sound better? They will have a wider and more believable sound if they are farther away from me? Is this true for my side surrounds? Because right now they are literally touching the sides of my couch.

Thanks in advance for any further advice!!

max
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 06:31 PM
ask for a free T-shirt for the trouble!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 07:38 PM
Eh, I've had the issue with Fedex/border security on my EP350. It's not Axiom's fault, it's not Fedex's fault, it's the Fed's fault. I was terrified that I was going to get a box with a disassembled sub in it, but it came through just fine.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 09:28 PM
Well then, ask the Feds for a year without taxes for the trouble!
Posted By: Max3 Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 09:40 PM
Hmmmm.....or maybe.....DOUBLE STIMULUS PACKAGE!!!! Hahaha, but seriously.....double my stimulus package....seriously.....
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 10:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: Max3
Hmmmm.....or maybe.....DOUBLE STIMULUS PACKAGE!!!! Hahaha, but seriously.....double my stimulus package....seriously.....

Yeah, I was dissapointed too when all I got was a check. ;\)
Posted By: dragnrail Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 11:14 PM
I am in the same situation. I ordered my speakers on the 13th (2xM22, VP150, 2xQS4, M2). I got an email from Noreen on the 16th. Until today all I got to look at was "package data transmitted" and now is says "Shipment Exception" due to improper paper work. I have been emailing Noreen and she said things should be moving forward now. The funny thing is that it still lists the delivery date as tomorrow. I did call FedEx to see if I could get more information, no such luck (they basically are looking at the same screen I was). I did find out that I have a commitment date of the 29th.

As this is my first Axiom purchase I sure wish it was going smoother. I was hoping to have my "theater" set up for some viewing this memorial day weekend but its looking pretty grim right now. If my order doesn't get here until the 29th, it will have been 16 days from my original order date.

Originally Posted By: Max3
Bad news....my speakers are now delayed until 'no sooner than next tuesday.' The reason was 'paperwork problems.' I placed the order on the 14th, 7 days later they are 'on their way.' Not too happy about it I must admit. Anyhow, should probably stop before I start ranting.

Posted By: terzaghi Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 11:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Yeah, I was dissapointed too when all I got was a check. ;\)

some people.... Geeze
Posted By: fredk Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 11:28 PM
I sure am glad my order isn't crossing any borders. I laugh every time I hear the phrase 'longest undefended border'. Last time I was in Europe (some 14 years ago) I whizzed through 'borders' at 130 kph. Thats undefended!
Posted By: bilgirami Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/21/08 11:30 PM
Hey guys,
Trust me, shipping stuff to the US has become a real challenge in recent times. Its a bit off topic but I used to work for a company that makes specialty membranes for water and wastewater removal. This membrane is less than a micron thin and it is coated on a 1mm diameter hollow braid. We used to have no trouble shipping stuff to the US but in early 2007, the feds came up with a new law that classified these membranes as "textile pesticide" yeah, you are not reading it incorrectly, pesticide pathogen. The reason was that since it removes pathogens from water to it essentially eliminates pathogens and this it falls in the pesticide category. Also, since the membrane is coated on a braid, it is textile. Due to this, not only the two separate customs procedures applied on the membranes but also, it had to sit at customs for 14 days because all pesticides are required to. Now I fully understand the border security and stuff, but dont you think it is a bit much.
No worries guys, your stuff will get there eventually, how long will it take, heaven knows :).
Posted By: Max3 Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 12:18 AM
Wow, Dragnrail, that's literally the EXACT same thing that has happened to me. 'Shipping exception' and all. How is it a border problem when it's a 'paperwork problem'? I am fairly close to canceling my 30 trial before I even GET my speakers. NO offense to Axiom, but damn, I am going out of town on the 6th and I sure as hell expected to be setting up my HT WEEKS before I leave. Maybe I'll try my luck with Ascend, I will miss the fun message boards here though.
Posted By: fredk Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 12:37 AM
 Quote:
these membranes as "textile pesticide" yeah

A classic case of a non-tarrif trade barrier.

I expect things will get more protectionist as the recession worsens.

Thing is, at the border, whoever is processing the paper IS the law.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 01:52 AM
You mean the stimulus package isn't supposed to come from Good Vibrations?
Posted By: JohnK Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 01:54 AM
Sure Max, if you placed the back surrounds about 5-6' back and separated by about the same amount, the back surround effect should be significantly better. The side surrounds should be directly to your side, but yes, moving them a little farther away should help a bit with dispersing the sound. It's also good to have the surrounds about 2-3' above ear level, if possible.
Posted By: Max3 Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 01:57 AM
5-6 feet or inches? I know, dumb question....haha
Posted By: Murph Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 11:45 AM
I can't claim this remark as my own but I do agree that Fedex and UPS should merge together so we can more appropriately refer to them as "Fed Up".
Posted By: Amie Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 12:37 PM
Max3 and dragnrail, I'm very sorry about this situation. I won't try to excuse what has happened but I would like to explain it. We shipped both of your orders on Friday. There was a new Fedex driver on duty, and instead of putting the truck in the line up to get hotshotted across the border, he put it in the local line up. Monday was a national holiday in Canada so it was Tuesday when we discovered the error. We had FedEx correct it immediately but it was still Tuesday. Now next Monday is a national holiday for you and that has added two days to the whole fiasco.

I'm really sorry for the delay. It was a bit of a 'perfect storm'. I appreciate how patient you have both been so far.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 01:03 PM
Hopefully they will arrive soon!
Posted By: dragnrail Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 09:55 PM
I finally got a shipping update. They are in Buffalo, NY. Also got a delivery date update: the 29th. Another whole week.

I know I live in Idaho, but why is it going to be another week? Is somebody carrying all my speakers and going to walk here? Put those things on a plane so I can have them tomorrow. Oh yeah, that would be in a perfect world, ha.

I read this somewhere else: waiting sucks, but not knowing is even worse. I guess at least now I know.
Posted By: Max3 Re: Questions about my FIRST AXIOM ORDER!! - 05/22/08 10:53 PM
At least I get to see them before I leave for my trip.....probably. Ah well, thanks for the kind words at least. But I must say, a T-Shirt would be a mini band-aid.....**hint hint**
© Axiom Message Boards