Axiom Home Page
Hi, I am a new M80 owner. The M80 replace my previous Polk Monitor tower speaker.

Yesterday I first install my new speakers and after a couple of test I was suspecting that there was a distortion in the sound (sort of) in the low frequency range.

First I suspect the M80 because there where new but when I power off my subwoofer everything come to normal (no more distortion). Looks like the sound of my subwoofer and my M80 are not compatible they do not blend together… Never heard of something like that before…

I change my subwoofer place, its help but not solve the problem. I turn my subwoofer volume down its help but not solve the problem…

My subwoofer is a BIC Acoustech H-100. (I know this one could be better!)

Is anyone having an idea to solve this problem? Or at least know what may cause the problem?

Thanks for your help.

My first M80 impression… WOW! \:\)
What are you driving them with? COuld be you have the mains set to large and have both the mains and sub working on the same frequencies. Set the mains to small.
I use a Pioneer vsx-94txh and the fronts are set to small...

After posting on this tread, I play with my sub position and I think I found a spot where it is better... But I found something strange…

For a test purpose, I re-plug my old Polk speakers and surprise... The sound of my subwoofer remains the same (a bit of distortion or boomy)... I was shock!!!

So I came to the conclusion that the sound on my subwoofer has always be the same (a bit of distortion or boomy)!

I think my new M80 sounds are so clear and great that lead me to notice my poor subwoofer sound for the first time... It is possible because before my M80 purchase I never took the time to listen to the sound of my system with attention like that…

I continue my test...

Thanks for your help,

Eric
 Quote:
It is possible because before my M80 purchase I never took the time to listen to the sound of my system with attention like that…

Yes.
Try bringing the sub down about 3-6db. It may be that it is set too high (especially since the M80 can handle lower frequencies pretty well).
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
Try bringing the sub down about 3-6db. It may be that it is set too high (especially since the M80 can handle lower frequencies pretty well).

Ok with my subwoofer at low volume now I don’t hear the distortion (or almost).

But the low frequency at this volume is a bit under what I want for big bang movies...

Is there a sub on the market that blend well to the M80 and can give me a good big bag for the buck?

Thanks,

Eric
Eric,

Have you tried playing a movie, or was it just music? If it was music, try playing a movie with these settings. The LFE should kick in when needed.
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
Eric,

Have you tried playing a movie, or was it just music? If it was music, try playing a movie with these settings. The LFE should kick in when needed.

I will do in deph testing tonight...

Thanks,

Eric
 Originally Posted By: Rick32
After posting on this tread, I play with my sub position and I think I found a spot where it is better... But I found something strange…

For a test purpose, I re-plug my old Polk speakers and surprise... The sound of my subwoofer remains the same (a bit of distortion or boomy)... I was shock!!!

So I came to the conclusion that the sound on my subwoofer has always be the same (a bit of distortion or boomy)!

I think my new M80 sounds are so clear and great that lead me to notice my poor subwoofer sound for the first time... It is possible because before my M80 purchase I never took the time to listen to the sound of my system with attention like that…

I continue my test...

Thanks for your help,

Eric

Your revelations sound normal to me, I never considered my old Bose 201s to be boomy either, till I started to actually listen to them and had listened to some better speakers. My old sub couldn't be considered boomy since it couldn't push enough air. I still think it sounds ok for what it is, a 13 yr old 10" 150W sub.

Keep us updated on more of your findings, it's always fun to read about fresh Axiom owners and their audio discoveries.
© Axiom Message Boards