Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Major Shake M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 02:10 AM
I have a pair of M3 tis, a relatively recent Yamaha RX-396 Receiver and a room that's about 12'x18'.

What should I buy to improve this setup?

I was considering a sub, but I live in an apartment with neighbors below. Also, I'm not much of a fan of bass-heavy music, I'm just after fullness and overall sound.
Posted By: fredk Re: M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 02:28 AM
What are you doing with the system? Music Movies?

If properly set up, a good sub dosn't give you heavy bass. I listened to the M22s with an EP350 and I really liked the bass for music. It was not heavy at all. After level matching you can always adjust the bass to your taste.
Posted By: Major Shake Re: M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 02:30 AM
It's a system for music, primarily, though at some point I may join the rest of the world and connect a TV through it.
Posted By: fredk Re: M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 02:36 AM
Definately add the sub. It will fill out the bottom end on the M3s.

Of course, you could always just go for the M80s...
Posted By: JohnK Re: M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 03:32 AM
Major, welcome. You should also consider adding a pair of QS surrounds. Even for music, surround sound adds significantly to the listening experience. Modes such as DPLII and Neo:6 can be applied to CDs and other 2-channel source materials to send the ambience which originally came from a direction other than the front to the surrounds where it belongs, and makes listening a little more realistic.
Posted By: jakewash Re: M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 09:21 AM
Welcome to the boards Major.

I would suggest adding floorstanding speakers as the mains and then using the M3s as surrounds. The fuller overall sound of a floorstander is much better, IMO, than any bookshelf even with a sub. I would recommend the M60 or M80s. You will also most likely find the detail from the M60/M80 easier to hear than from the M3's, at least it was for me.

My next upgrade selection would be to then go with adding a sub as the next best upgrade and then simply adding surrounds as the last upgrade to make.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 03:50 PM
No, I'd add the sub before changing out your mains.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 06:35 PM
I would recommend surrounds before the sub, everyone has their tastes I guess. The M3s put out decent bass, you won't know you're missing anything. If you get the QS series surrounds it really will make your system envelope you in movies.

I like Jakewash's Idea of upgrading your mains to floor standers and using your M3s as surrounds. A good use of your current resources.
Posted By: fredk Re: M3s for stereo. What to buy next? - 05/28/08 10:45 PM
Confused yet?
© Axiom Message Boards