Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Kamla EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/07/08 07:13 PM
Hi guys,

i have a Yamaha RX-V2700 Home Theater Receiver and i am trying to set up my EP350 v3 Subwoofer

what should set the cross over freq to..

thax
Verj
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/07/08 07:19 PM
Normally you want to turn the crossover knob on the back of the sub all the way clockwise to get it out of the way, as you will be handling the bass management in the receiver. Normally, setting all speakers to small with an 80hz crossover is a good starting point.
Posted By: JohnK Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/08/08 01:42 AM
Virj, if you're referring the "crossover" control on the back of the EP350(actually just a low-pass filter on the sub alone, rather than a full crossover), as Randy said, turn it up to the highest setting to get it out of the way of the crossover that your 2700 will be doing.

If you're using YPAO on the 2700 to set up, you might set it to skip setting the speaker crossovers and manually set all speakers "small" with an 80Hz crossover, which is a good compromise frequency, being high enough to relieve the speakers of a significant part of the lowest bass burden while not being so high as to make the sub easily localizable.
Posted By: Kamla Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/08/08 02:46 PM
oh boy.. i am this way over my head..

the Yamaha detected the speakers..

this os what it set
Vp150 as large
M60s as large
QS4 v2 as small

i had set the "crossover" control on the back of the EP350 to full

the sound is good to my ears.. but some scenes the bass seems weak..
i must be missing some setting
please educated me \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/08/08 04:14 PM
The auto setup receivers will often set your mains and center to "large". My Denon 2805 did the same thing. I recommend you going into the speaker setup menu on the receiver and change all speakers to "small". My receiver only allows me to set one universal crossover setting for all speakers, I usually use 80hz as most recommend. Your receiver may allow independent settings for each speaker. Again, 80hz is a good starting point, however, you might experiment by looking at the lower frequency specs for each speaker on the product page (the +- 3dB spec). You might be able to set the 60's to 60hz, as they are pretty good in the bass category. The 150 might be able to be bumped to 90 or so and the Qs4's to 100.
Posted By: Kamla Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/08/08 06:43 PM
what is difference of setting the mains and center from large to small

trying to learn here \:\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/08/08 06:47 PM
It will redirect the bass below the crossover point to your sub. This helps take some of the workload off the receiver. Bass requires power. Your sub has a built in amp well-suited for the heavy lifting.

Don't worry about the questions! We're here to help.
Posted By: Kamla Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/09/08 02:33 PM
o.k so will there be more Bass from the sub..

Plus i the receiver is work less to provide power to the sub will that me more power will be provide to the mains and center + surrounds..

???
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/09/08 02:55 PM
It should be able to handle the dynamic peaks better, i.e. explosions during action movies.

In most cases, when a speaker is set to "large" the receiver thinks it can play low frequencies and will send a full range signal to the speaker and nothing to the sub. If the speaker is only rated down to 50hz, you're going to be missing a lot, and/or the impact of some scenes will be lessened. The sub will play 25Hz with a lot more authority than the M60s. The M60s will struggle to reach that. When you set the speakers to small and the crossover at 80Hz, you are telling the receiver the speaker will play everything above that point and the sub will handle everything below. There is some overlap at the crossover points to help with smooth transitions.
Posted By: Kamla Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/09/08 04:06 PM
ok that help me understand a bit..

Now which crossover should i set @ 80Hz, the on on the back of my SUB or are u talking about the receiver?
I had set the sub all the 120 or what the highest setting was so that the corssover is controlled by the receiver and not the sub

Also if i set the speaker to small will they get the same wattage that they are getting now..

The reason i ask is to enjoy the explosion and action stuff i have to turn the AVR up to the half way point

Thax again for ur help

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/09/08 04:14 PM
Generally speaking, 80Hz is a good starting point. You can experiment with different ones to find out which works best.

I would use the crossover in the receiver and bypass the sub's. It sounds like you have it right.

The same amount of power is going to your speakers, large or small, it's just that there is more power reserved for the "big bang" stuff. (I think I have that right)
Posted By: SRoode Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/09/08 05:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
The same amount of power is going to your speakers, large or small, it's just that there is more power reserved for the "big bang" stuff. (I think I have that right)

When the Mains are "small", the crossover frequency set in the AVR will limit the low frequency of the mains (Set the crossover to 80Hz, and the mains start rolling off below 80Hz). So, in effect, the mains do get less total power since they are not reproducing the frequencies below 80Hz (they will output the same power above the crossover frequency however). The sub will pick up the missing frequencies, so for Mains+Sub the total power is the same.
Posted By: Kamla Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/09/08 08:57 PM
ahh.. the light bulb is being to flicker..

thax guys...

i will try your recommendations and report back..
Posted By: Kamla Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/10/08 02:31 PM
well, i tried setting the main and center to small..

the volume on the system seemed a little weak..
i.e i had to turn it up a little more then usually..
is that normal or did that mess up..
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/10/08 04:50 PM
Did you run the setup so all the speakers are calibrated to the same dB level? This is done by using the built in receiver tones and microphone (if it came with one), or using an SPL meter from the main listening position.
Posted By: Kamla Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/10/08 07:06 PM
sirquack..
i did using the built in receiver tones and microphone that came with thE avr
Posted By: SRoode Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/11/08 11:20 AM
This may be a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway. I'm not familiar with your AVR, but on the Denon, there is a separate setting to tell the AVR that you have a sub. When you added the sub, did you change the AVR to Sub=Yes?

Check to see if anything is coming out of the sub.
Posted By: Kamla Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/11/08 02:23 PM
oh the sub is kicking...

so it setup..

i put the cross over in AVR to 120 and then it sounded good..

But when i had it @ 80 it did not sound as good..
does that make sense..
Posted By: myrison Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/11/08 02:33 PM
That is quite a bit higher than average, but if it sounds good to you, then it makes sense to me. \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/11/08 05:09 PM
120 is to high, the point is to use around 80hz, as that is the point where low frequencies become non-directional. The sub output will not work as well that high.
Posted By: jakewash Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/11/08 05:45 PM
Running M60s, the XO @ 120 and you say the bass output is weak? What frame of reference are you coming from? What was your old system like, could be you were used to boomy bass and not the tighter more accurate bass you have now.

I would also suggest running the sub hotter(higher volume level) than what the YPAO set it up at, add a few more db to it. The auto setups tend to run the subs lower than most of us want them at. Also move the XO back to 80hz and try it.
Posted By: hietpas Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/11/08 07:37 PM
The sub should blend smoothly into the sound system. You don't want to be able to separate "sub sounds" and "speaker sounds" Hence, the 80 hz. My speakers, the M22s are set to 80 and your M60s have alot more low end than mine. No need to have it over 80.
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 v3 Subwoofer setp help needed - 06/12/08 01:48 AM
Wow. This is totally the opposite experience to mine. I just plugged everything in and (when I finally got sound out of all channels) turned it on.

I've only ballanced things by ear. I flipped back and forth between two channel and 5.1 listening to Tulls aqualung, I couldn't tell the difference between the M80s on large in two channel and with the sub playing (not much bass on this album).

Even with the ELP debut album, which has some really low bass and lots of it, the 350 blended effortlessly. There was no doubt on this album that the sub was producing lots of bass.
© Axiom Message Boards