Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Rick32 EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/08/08 12:37 PM
Hi EPXXX owners!

Is there a big difference in those tow subwoofer?

If I relate to the spec, the EP500 can go down to 18 hz... Is this really making a difference?

Is this difference only significant at high volume?

My listening is 90% movie and my room size is 12x10...

I like when low frequency shakes the room!!!

Thanks for your comments,

Eric

Posted By: HomeDad Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/08/08 04:25 PM
I haven't heard the new EP350 but from what I have read it is great.
Your room is fairly small and I'm sure the EP350 would make you very happy. If you want the whole house to shake then the EP500 would be the way to go.
Posted By: mariouzzi Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/08/08 10:30 PM
I have the 350 and not only can go deep and loud (and I have the gain barely turned up!) but it is very musical and blends in seamlessly with the other speakers. I am sure the 500 can go lower and at even louder volumes, but your room size is a little smaller than mine and the 350 is almost overkill in my room. You might want to invest in some soundproofing if you get the 500, unless you want the neigbors and any housemates to kill you.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/08/08 11:17 PM
I have an EP600 and 2 new EP350v3's, but my basement is hugomungist. \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/08/08 11:31 PM
Now that I finally have my cabling sorted out, the EP350 is doinga great job on the bass that it puts out. I played my favourite LOTR scenes, the mines of Moria, and it does a great job on the cave troll battle and the Balrog scenes.

Now, I havn't played with positioning yet and havn't tried corner loading to boost the low bass, but its not shaking the room yet.

In the cave troll scene, when the troll does its stone crushing with the hammer and when it tries to stomp on people, the bass that is there is so believable that you expect the whole floor to shake because a cave troll just stomped on it.

Although I wanted the floor to shake, I'm glad it dosn't as that would mean that it (and the walls) would be shaking for the neighbours as well. \:o

The growl of the Balrog when it first appears is really cool too!

I think that you will get that low bass shaking with the EP500 (and even more with the 600).

Now, if your budget is in the EP500 range and you want that visceral rumbling feeling, you should also consider the SVS PB13 Ultra. It hits really low, and from some of the reviews I have read here and elswhere, it hits really hard in movies.

I have not listened to the EP500/600 or PB13 and am only going by what I have read.

What I would do is see which of the above subs you might be able to audition locally to see if they give you what you are looking for.

I still love my EP350 and am looking forward to getting it dialed in properly.
Posted By: CV Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/09/08 12:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: mariouzzi
You might want to invest in some soundproofing if you get the 500, unless you want the neigbors and any housemates to kill you.

Soundproofing for low frequency is supposed to be one of the most difficult things to do, so I say just turn it up so much that the EP500 kills you before the neighbors and housemates can get to you.
Posted By: jakewash Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/09/08 01:29 AM
My suggestion would be to go with the EP500 as it is capable of lower frequencies and combined with more power, will do much better to shake a house.
Posted By: Rick32 Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/09/08 12:03 PM
Thanks to all for your comments... \:\)

I am still no decided yet... The thing I remember tough is the 30 day trial from Axiom... If I go with the 350 and found that’s it's not enough I can upgrade to the 500...

I continue my thinking...

Eric
Posted By: DaveG Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/09/08 12:20 PM
I think you have it right, try the 350 first.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/09/08 12:54 PM
The 350's are very impressive for the money.
Posted By: jakewash Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/09/08 05:25 PM
Yes you can do the upgrade and I do belive Axiom covers the cost for the return shipping of the 350 if that helps.
Posted By: turbo16v Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/15/08 10:34 PM
When I was researching speakers the two towers I was trying to decide on where Axiom m80's or Onix Rocket RS850's. I chose the 80's and couldn’t be happier . Although I have often wondered if anyone out their had listened to both of them and what they thought. The 80's drivers ttmmbb seemed a better layout to me. When it came to the sub choice however I held off.

My Choices were the
Ep350v3 $758 shipped
Ep 500 $1,230 shipped
Av123 MFW-15 $599+ shipping
Dual MFW-15's $998+ shipping
And Emotivas new 12" duals for $1,000(have yet to be released)

I always want to get the most out of my dollar and 1,230 seems a bit much for me to pay for 1 sub. I keep going back to the MFW15 because from what I have read it seems to be more on par with the Ep600 but costs 1/3 the price of the 600. The only problem i have with the MFW15 is the size. Granted it is not as big as the 600 but with a 15" driver it is a monster. So then i look at the 350 and like the size of it better, plus it would match my high gloss cherry setup. However it costs about the same as the MFW15 which has been advertised as having Typical in-room response extending to 15-17Hz and is great for both movies and music! Then their is always the twin emo's that win on size by far. Even though their are two of them! :D............
Something inside always draws me back to the mfw15's but then i think about how much i love my axioms.....
Posted By: fredk Re: EP350 or EP500 ? - 06/15/08 11:29 PM
The sub landscape has shifted a lot recently.

Its hard to get a handle on the MFW15 though given all the hype surrounding its release. Craigsub reviewed it very favourable, and is overall a reliable source, but I would like to see some other independant reviews with the appropriate measurements. Unfortunately, you don't see measurements on AV123 products very often and the graphs on their site give no indication of how the measurements were taken, so really don't tell you anything.

I am quite happy with my EP350 for what it does, but it definately dosn't go down into earth shaking territory that many want for movies.

If I were in the US, I would have been very tempted by the MFW15, but the costs of bringing one into Canada, and the costs of returning it were I not satisfied, eliminated it from my list.
© Axiom Message Boards