Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/02/08 02:59 PM
I am in the process of looking for new lighting for my room. The main problem that exists is that the ceiling is about 7 feet it's really limits me in choices for lighting. Ultimately I would love to go with pocket lights but it's not financially feasible. Right now I have some matching 100 W flush mount circular lights but they don't put off enough light because the cover has a glossy finish. I don't think that I would be able to put track lighting in because the lights could shine in people's eyes. I have four lighting points for a fairly large room 20 x 24. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pictures below are taken just after the renovations and things have obviously changed since my acquisition of the QS8's and VP150.

Thanks again guys
[url=]Room pictures[/url]
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/02/08 03:03 PM
Lighting can be tough. I would reconsider the track light solution. You may find that a couple of sets of track lights, with the bulbs pointed around the room will provide enough diffuse light to brighten up the room, with each bulb being low wattage enough not to blind anybody.
Posted By: Karlman Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/03/08 01:24 AM
Hmm.. I've just decided to go with in ceiling or pocket lights for my basement.. My floor joists are still open though so mounting is a bit easier.
The best price I've found so far is contractor 6 pack of lights at Home Depot for about 50$ for 5" and $75 for 6" (that's for all 6, not each). I think they will work as my main lighting.. plus I'll be putting them in pairs on dimmers, so I have lots of control over the lighting in different parts of the room.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/03/08 02:39 AM
You might also consider sconces.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/03/08 06:34 PM
I think I bought the same contractor pack at HD, but it's the trim kits (baffle and ring) and the bulbs that make up the majority of the cost of recessed lighting.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/03/08 08:17 PM
With my ceiling being finished I would assume it would be very expensive and difficult to install recessed lighting.
Posted By: RickF Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/03/08 09:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
With my ceiling being finished I would assume it would be very expensive and difficult to install recessed lighting.

Not really, the two types of recessed light bases you'll find in just about all home improvement stores are the 'new-construction' cans and the 'remodel' cans, the remodel cans are made to install in pre-existing ceilings and are not very difficult to install at all ... having the electrical source for the lights is a different matter, but not much of chore for a certified electrician.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/03/08 09:38 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
... having the electrical source for the lights is a different matter...

Just a few more years....

http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?ch=specialsections&sc=emerging08&id=20248
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/04/08 01:30 PM
I used these for my room (4 of them in the room).

I got them for like $20 each at Home Depot.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/04/08 10:44 PM
Those are very nice. What is the voltage per light bulb? I was looking online at monorail track lighting which is really nice because it can be customized by length and lights but they hang fairly low from the ceiling. Something like this but not a fixed unit as mentioned above.
Posted By: duckman Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/05/08 05:29 PM
Probably not quite what you're after but you may find cyron led lighting of interest.
I have a pair of the ht902 tubes mounted to the back of each of my FMB mounted qs-8's. Works great for avoiding a pitch black room without having any real light in the room.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/05/08 10:05 PM
Thanks for the input, that might be something I'll look into down the road but I'm really looking for lighting for the entire room. It's more a den rather than a home theater so I want to achieve a bright room when not watching movies. It's making it difficult with a 7 foot ceiling.
Posted By: CV Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/05/08 10:28 PM
I feel your pain. Our basement has a low ceiling. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do, too. I want indirect lighting, but being such a low ceiling, I'll have to look into a way to put the lighting on the wall around the perimeter of the room. I can't think of any other way, but I don't know if it'll work.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/06/08 12:40 PM
You guys are making me glad we took the option to raise the ceiling an extra foot in the basement when the place was built. We're at 9ft ceilings down there, unfinished, but should still be at 8 after a drop ceiling goes in.
Posted By: CV Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/06/08 04:03 PM
Yes, that was a good choice.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Home Theater lighting suggestions - 07/07/08 01:58 PM
Sure make us feel even worse \:\) . Still flummoxed and frustrated over this lighting situation. I would imagine that monorail lighting would work well on the periphery of your room.
© Axiom Message Boards