Axiom Home Page
Posted By: a401classic New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 07:58 AM
Hi Everyone!

Well the new T-Series has started. But I about died when I saw it was the T-2. I've got a good sized great room to fill and I was hoping to avoid a sub. JC can't say one way or another if a T-3 is on the way, which is what I really was hoping for... Help me out here. I'm just looking for good sound during parties, but the lack of bass without a sub is holding me back.
Here's the room; they'll go on the wall on either side of the painting.

This room opens up to the kitchen and over to the dining room. So it's a fair amount of space.

Thoughts?

Scott
Posted By: JohnK Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 08:47 AM
Scott, my immediate thought would be why limit yourself to the T series? The W series would protrude only about 3" farther from the wall, and if you're pretty sure that you don't want to use a sub in that setup the W22 would have enough bass for most music(judging from my M22 experience). If you wanted something a little smaller, the W3 would have nearly as much bass extension.
Posted By: a401classic Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 09:02 AM
Insomniacs unite! I have WAF approval, actually, WAF requested flush mount speakers. I got a turned up nose at the W's...

Maybe that Rosewood EP400 from the owners club...

Could also get an M3 and make my own enclosures...

Scott
Posted By: jakewash Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 09:15 AM
I think I would hold out for the T80 that is a huge area to fill, I think the T2's would be fine for near field, but for the whole area to be filled up and have good bass without a sub the T80 is what I would wait for.
Posted By: a401classic Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 01:44 PM
I was afraid some one would say that... I'll have to stick the grills from my M80's on the wall and see how they fit and see what that does to the WAF. This space is her territory, I just get to use it.

Scott
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 02:12 PM
Alright - someone help me out...

What is the "T" series? I guess I'm out of touch.
Posted By: anthony11 Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 03:28 PM
Axiom announced a new series in their recent newsletter. Kinda like the W in-walls except even more flush.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 04:01 PM
For decent sound, you're either going to need a sub or bigger speakers. Axiom can work miracles, but I don't know if they can overcome the laws of physics with the T-series, but I just don't think you'd ever be able to get decent bass out of super-thin, small speakers. It just doesn't work that way.

Here's what you do...

Go to SVS's site and order a PC 16-46 sub. Incredible sub, but friggin' huge. It's about the size of a normal hot-water heater. \:\) Put it in your den. Don't even unbox it...that will add to the affect. When your wife FREAKS OUT ( ) because of the size, you then quietly say, "well, there is another option that would be smaller...". Return the SVS and pick up an EP500. All will be happy. \:D ;\)

Posted By: a401classic Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 04:31 PM
Brilliant! I knew I could count on you guys.

Scott
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 04:38 PM
<<< bows to Master PeterC.

Scott, you have a beautiful home!

I didn't read that the T80 will have the same front panel dimensions as an M80, so your grill exercise may or may not be valid. I suppose it stands to reason, but you might check with Axiom. Since they've announced the future availability of the product, they're probably pretty far along in the design work.

Also, you might consider more than one pair of speakers for that space. You're probably not going to be doing "critical listening"; I'm guessing that washing the whole area with music is more the idea. With that in mind, you might not need to either "FILL the space" or limit yourself to one pair to retain sonic imaging. I know wiring and amplification are not necessarily cheap or easy, but a happy wife in a roomful of great music is nearly priceless.
Posted By: thefwam Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 05:03 PM
Were you able to find a T80 page? I only was linked to and could find the T2 page
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 05:07 PM
Actually you could just forget the Axiom idea and get a set of Bose cubes. They'd be nice and small and would blend in well. Then you could @##A)*X52F2@#AS^@$F@*%#$ J#$ @#%(@*#%@#$.... @#$ @% .

We're sorry. But your post cannot be completed as entered. Please click the cancel button, and try again.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 05:07 PM
No, I didn't see a page, but it was mentioned in the newsletter.

Quote:
The long-rumoured T Series is launching this month! Audiophiles can now enjoy award-winning Axiom sound in a discrete enclosure that blends seamlessly into any décor. Mount them along side a flat panel display for a sleek modern look, or even in the ceiling. Over the next several months we anticipate adding the T80 (perfect for building into an entertainment center) and T150 to round out the series. Choose your finish - the T2 (T for Thin) comes in Eggshell White, Black, Silver, or a Paintable version, with coordinating cloth or paintable metal grilles. The Paintable version comes with a jig so that you're just painting the edges that can be seen after the grille is put on - no need to remove parts to paint the speaker! Learn more about the latest addition to the Axiom line up.

Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 05:11 PM
Seriously though, really nice house. My wife would kill to have a house with an open floor plan like that. When our home was built in 1910, they had some strange ideas of room layout. \:o

Since you're going for a stealth system, maybe not going with large T80's would be a better idea? I can't help but think that if WAF is tops on the list, and all you're after is 'ambient' music, that a set of much smaller Axioms might be better. Like the T equivalent of M2's, mounted on a wall. Combined with a small, discrete sub like an EP400 (or even an EP125) tucked away in a corner acting like an end table. Put a plant or a lamp on it. That would sound really lovely, with plenty of presence to enjoy the music, but with an absolute minimal amount of 'speakerness' in the room.

Save the dough and buy a set of M80's + EP500 for your den. ;\)
Posted By: a401classic Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 05:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
Seriously though, really nice house. My wife would kill to have a house with an open floor plan like that.

Save the dough and buy a set of M80's + EP500 for your den. ;\)

This area didn't start out like this. Katrina made it possible to fill in a sunken living room, remove a wall and open up the kitchen.

And I've got the den covered already.

Yes, we're just looking for ambient sound. No Rock concerts or the like - That's what the den is for!!

Scott
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New T-Series Question - 07/25/08 09:12 PM
 Quote:
Katrina made it possible

There's always a silver lining. ;\)
Posted By: a401classic Re: New T-Series Question - 07/26/08 12:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Quote:
Katrina made it possible

There's always a silver lining. ;\)

...paid for in emotional gold. I was without the wife and kids for over a year. There was a benefit, but at a price.

Scott
Posted By: a401classic Re: New T-Series Question - 07/26/08 01:11 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
<<< bows to Master PeterC.

Scott, you have a beautiful home!

I didn't read that the T80 will have the same front panel dimensions as an M80, so your grill exercise may or may not be valid. I suppose it stands to reason, but you might check with Axiom. Since they've announced the future availability of the product, they're probably pretty far along in the design work.

Also, you might consider more than one pair of speakers for that space. You're probably not going to be doing "critical listening"; I'm guessing that washing the whole area with music is more the idea. With that in mind, you might not need to either "FILL the space" or limit yourself to one pair to retain sonic imaging. I know wiring and amplification are not necessarily cheap or easy, but a happy wife in a roomful of great music is nearly priceless.

Thanks to all for the compliments and advice. So here's how it went today after I got home from work;

The Mrs: Whatcha doin?
Me: Making paper templates of the speakers now available.
<< tapes paper rectangles on either side of picture at beginning of thread >>
The Mrs: WOW, those are kinda big.
Me: What? You're kidding! These are the smallest ones offered. It's gonna be a couple months before the next size is available.
The Mrs: Really? How big are they going to be.
<< goes and gets a grill from an M80 and rests it on top of the couch >>
Me: About this big.
The Mrs: OH, HE!! NO. The "little" ones are fine.

So at some point she will notice the lack of bass, at which point I will attempt Peter's brilliant water heater idea...

Scott
Posted By: HAY Re: New T-Series Question - 07/27/08 02:43 AM
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
For decent sound, you're either going to need a sub or bigger speakers. Axiom can work miracles, but I don't know if they can overcome the laws of physics with the T-series, but I just don't think you'd ever be able to get decent bass out of super-thin, small speakers. It just doesn't work that way.

When they released the W series they took so long to come out as they wanted to have the same sound signature, smaller speakers with the same Axiom sound. I can't see them doing any different with these T series. If the sound is going to be compromised from the original models they're based from, then why wouldn't they come out with new names?

I'll try searching for the post on the W series from Axiom...
© Axiom Message Boards