Axiom Home Page
Posted By: myrison Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/01/08 08:58 PM
Those of you with good memories probably noticed I've mentioned getting the Algonquins as a birthday gift a few times in recent weeks. While they're not here yet (that I know of), I have a strong suspicion my wife has some on the way.

So, in anticipation of this happening, I am trying to decide the best way to power them and would appreciate some advice. The question is complicated a bit by the fact that I have another receiver and kitchen audio setup that plays into the question... and a desire to plan for another set of M22s in the future. \:\)

First, the kitchen setup:

I moved my old Bose Acoustimass 15 system to the kitchen (stifle your groans - it sounds fine in the kitchen) \:\/ Plus, since the kitchen is decidedly NOT my domain, I feel lucky to have snuck speakers in there at all.

Below is a picture of how it looks (or really how it's hidden) just for fun. The cube speakers are just behind the crown molding and bounce their sound off the ceiling. The bass module is on the other side of the kitchen also above the cupboards. It is powered by an old 5-channel Pioneer receiver.

Second, the desired Algonquin setup: (and related future M22 location):

My desired input source for the Algonquins is to run as Zone 2 or 3 of my main HT receiver (the Denon 3808). Eventually, Zone 2/3 will also support M22s (such is the plan now at least). \:\) So _eventually_ but not immediately, I'll want a receiver there to support the combination of 2 outdoor speakers and 2 M22s. This is the room where I'll put the receiver and M22s in the future. (below)

Now that you have the background... here are the more specific questions.

I have one 5-channel receiver (the Pioneer mentioned above). My options are to keep that in the kitchen powering the Bose cubes, or to move it upstairs to power Zone 2/3 for the Algonquins. Whichever does not get powered by the Pioneer will require separate amplification. The kitchen setup has no need for source switching (it connects only to my AirTunes module), so the ideal choice there seems to be a basic, cheap, low-power 2-channel amp. Any recommendations?

I've found amps like these:

AudioSource AMP100 (2x50) ($100)

Pyle Pro 2x3 watt ($40)

The first seems too expensive for what I'm trying to accomplish, the second seems like it might not be enough power, even for the little Bose speakers... I'm interested in other suggestions or thoughts on these options.

I imagine the Bose speakers need next to no power to function effectively, but don't know for certain. Also, I have 4 of these speakers, which I believe are 8-ohm, so I'd be running 2 of them per channel on a 2-channel stereo amp. (I still don't think it'd be a problem, but pointing it out to make sure)

This would allow me to move my Pioneer receiver to power the Algonquins, and eventually the M22s (though one thing that bugs me about the Pioneer is that the only way to select Zone A/Zone B speakers (indoor / outdoor) in the Pioneer is to physically press a button (not via remote). This would mean that when I wanted to listen to music outside I'd have to press the button upstairs before going out to my downstairs deck. (not ideal)

If I have to spend $100 to solve my power problem, maybe instead of the 2-channel amp, I can find a cheap receiver in the same price class that has the remote ability to remotely change between speakers A & B to solve this problem? I've located this one...

Sherwood RX-4105

This would seem to have plenty of power for either M22s or the Algonquins, correct?

As I look through my options, I lean towards spending the $100 on the Sherwood receiver (or something similar) which would both power the Algonquins and allow for future powering of the M22s as well (and maybe occasionally both at the same time if the Sherwood receiver could handle it, which it appears maybe it would NOT based on the manual advising against connecting anything < 8 ohm speakers). Going with the Sherwood would allow me to remotely change between indoor/outdoor speakers which is also a plus for that option.

If I haven't totally lost you in this long rambling post, I'd appreciate your advice.

Thanks all -

Jason

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/01/08 09:07 PM
That's a tricky one. I assume your Pioneer isn't a true zone1/zone2 type receiver; in other words, you can't send separate sources to separate speakers?

If so, I'd say get a cheap stereo receiver off of eBay to put in the kitchen. I use an older Marantz for that; I think I paid $80 for it. I'm not using 3 zones, though, and my H/K does support true zone 2.
Posted By: myrison Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/01/08 10:03 PM
That's right about the Pioneer, 5 channels, 2 of which can be dedicated to Zone B, but the same source is always sent to both.

The disadvantage in moving the Pioneer upstairs for the Algonquins/M22s is that the only way to turn Zone A and Zone B off and on is on the unit itself, which would be very inconvenient for outdoor listening. (invariably we'd forget to turn off Zone B on the unit and my wife would be blaring Oprah over our Algonquins to the neighbor's dismay).

Based on what you said about eBay though... $100 for a secondary stereo receiver is about what I should expect to spend, so the Sherwood I mentioned might be a good solution.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/01/08 10:08 PM
Does that have the separate speaker outs on the remote?
Posted By: merchman Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/01/08 11:47 PM
I have a Sherwood 4109 which is basically identical to the 4105. I think for $100 you can't go wrong. Very simple, nice looking receiver. Plenty of power at 105 watts per channel. My remote has separate switching for A and B speakers. A or B or A and B. It drove my M3's to levels I couldn't stand. Hope this helps.
Posted By: myrison Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/02/08 01:20 AM
That does help Merchman, thanks. I have been having a bit of trouble seeing the clear differences between the various model numbers. They all seem fairly similar, but also all seem like they'll work fine. My only question is how they'll handle 4 8-ohm speakers running at once, but that's probably not something I'll do often, so it's not a huge deal.

Ken - if you were asking about the Pioneer - no, it doesn't, which is the problem. The Sherwood's I'm looking at do though, as merchman confirmed.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/02/08 05:03 AM
Sure, Jason; the 4105 or similar should be fine.
You lost me. ;\)

I didn't get whether you are switching sources for the M22's or not.

Here's what I did:

Mirage in-walls in the kitchen and AV123 OD100's outside. Both purchased before either the Algonquin or T Series were available.

I installed a PartsExpress Dayton volume knob in both the kitchen and outside (in a weather-resistant enclosure under the gazebo roof). You can also add an impedance-matching wall-plate (which I did not need to do); that step would enable you to power both zones with 2 channels and transfer the on/off and attenuation functions to the listening location.

Powered by an old Adcom power amp that sends the same signal to both the A and B speakers. Even if I forget to turn off one of the amp zones at the amp, users can attenuate the volume at the speakers. Pretty low tech, but works for me.

The Tweakcityaudio Gizmo amp might be an option for the kitchen amp. It saves you space, but not money. Not sure about running a parallel load, though.
Posted By: myrison Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/02/08 07:09 PM
Darnit, I knew my description was too complicated! In any case, the volume knob is a good idea. I put one of those in my last house but in this case it's going to be harder because the outside of the home is all stone (and I'm not sure I'll get the approval from the Mrs. to take a hammer and chisel to the stone).

I think I'm going to get the Sherwood receiver that was discussed above and try to do the remote speaker switching. I'll be looking for a place I can put a volume knob as well just in case I get lucky. \:\)

Jason
 Originally Posted By: merchman
I have a Sherwood 4109 which is basically identical to the 4105. I think for $100 you can't go wrong. Very simple, nice looking receiver. Plenty of power at 105 watts per channel. My remote has separate switching for A and B speakers. A or B or A and B. It drove my M3's to levels I couldn't stand. Hope this helps.

I have this model as well. $100 at RS.

It has better speaker binding posts.
Posted By: myrison Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/02/08 08:46 PM
Thank you for the tip... $20 more expensive, but I'll pay it for the better binding posts. Great suggestion. \:\)
Posted By: merchman Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/02/08 09:49 PM
Myrison, as to the 4109 handling 4-8 ohm speakers, I gave it a try at quite loud levels for several hours with no problems. Never shut down and the receiver didn't get more than warm. I was surprised but pleased. Of course it wasn't concealed in a cabinet. I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem in your situation. Hope whatever you get works out for you.
Posted By: myrison Re: Feeding my Algonquins - Receiver Advice - 10/03/08 12:24 AM
Thanks Merchman - more great info. Mine won't be enclosed either, so I should be good to go.
© Axiom Message Boards