Axiom Home Page
Posted By: majik Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 04:48 AM
I'm sorry if this is not allowed... but I'm going to try it anyway. I'm wondering if anyone has used alternative stands for the qs8s. I absolutely have to use stands but find the ones here on Axiom to be a bit pricey. Does anyone know where I can get a cheaper set of stands? Obviously the bottom needs to be open to accommodate this speaker. Thanks
Posted By: jakewash Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 05:06 AM
I would be looking for speaker stands like this that keep the QS open to the bottom as you stated. Unfortunately many stands are not rated for the weight of the QS8s. I also found another set that has a good picture of the adjustable 'L' bracket. Goodluck.
Posted By: grunt Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 06:19 AM
I’m not sure if anyone else can find it but awhile back someone posted pictures of DIY stands they made for their QS speakers. They really looked fantastic. So one option if you want to do a little woodworking you could make your own.

As jakewash says make sure what you use can hold their weight and is bottom weighted enough not to topple over.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 07:53 AM
Do you mean these ?

Posted By: JohnK Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 08:21 AM
Undoubtedly yes, John.

Majik, as you can see, anything that works is allowed.
Posted By: myrison Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 01:37 PM
Majik - just to ask an obvious question, have you tried the T-wall brackets they come with and ruled them out? I find they work very well in my room (as long as you have the wall space to accommodate).

EDIT: Nevermind, I see from your posts in another thread you don't have a wall option where you're planning on putting the QS8s.

Jason
Posted By: majik Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 01:51 PM
I've got to figure something out soon. I plan on paying the rest of my layaway plan soon. I looked at a bunch of stands but nothing looks sturdy enough. Looks like I'm going to be stuck buying the ones found here. 400 bucks for stands though...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 03:18 PM
I love John's idea using soup cans.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 04:44 PM
John,

I prefer chicken soup, it absorbs low end frequency's to act like bass traps, but to each his own! ;\)

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 05:05 PM
I've heard cream of chicken does a little better, it is more dense.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 06:19 PM
What about a ceiling mount bracket?
Posted By: DaveG Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 08:33 PM
\:D
Posted By: jakewash Re: Is this allowed? - 12/03/08 11:06 PM
Majik, as you will be buying an entire setup or at least make it 5 items then you should be recieving 5% off everything, not much but every little bit helps.

I think as long as you have no kids/pets etc. running around one of the ones I linked to might actually work, one of them was good for 10lbs and the QS8s are not much heavier. You could always lay a sand bag across the bass to add weight and then cover it with a blanket.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 12:47 AM
Well, if you can't wall- or ceiling-mount them, I really think the soup cans are your best bet.

However, if you're set on stands, models that provide for an "L Bracket" mount might fit the bill.

If you REALLY have to put them on stands AND the cost is killing you, you might consider just getting a pair of M2's for surround duty. They're fine speakers, cost much less than the QS series and have many more flexible stand-mounting options. Personally, I don't think they're quite as capable for this application, but it's certainly an option.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 01:00 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Well, if you can't wall- or ceiling-mount them, I really think the soup cans are your best bet.

I still insist that beer cans make every speaker sound much better... Especially if they're empty.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 02:19 AM
C'mon guys nothing beats hockey pucks for stands, right Chess?;\)
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 04:09 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash

For the ep350?
Nothing better

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 05:19 AM
Awww, it's a little baby EP350! Innit cute?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 01:05 PM
I'm curious if firing your sub down gives you any better performance, I've heard others say it should not?
Posted By: RickF Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 05:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash

What is a hockey puck?
Posted By: Tyns Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 05:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
What is a hockey puck?

Burned hamburger
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 05:41 PM
Just the way Bren likes 'em.
Posted By: Shane White Re: Is this allowed? - 12/04/08 11:58 PM
[quote=SRoode
I still insist that beer cans make every speaker sound much better... Especially if they're empty.[/quote]

Fill them with sand or lead shot.

Shane
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Is this allowed? - 12/05/08 12:02 AM
 Originally Posted By: Shane White

Last time I tried to fill beer cans with lead shot, the beer ended up all over me. Should I have stood further away from the cans when firing my shotgun?
Posted By: SRoode Re: Is this allowed? - 12/05/08 01:02 AM
That is not how you shotgun a beer...
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Is this allowed? - 12/05/08 04:43 PM

Posted By: chesseroo Re: Is this allowed? - 12/06/08 04:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
I'm curious if firing your sub down gives you any better performance, I've heard others say it should not?

nope
which was the point of the hockey puck experiment
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Is this allowed? - 12/06/08 04:27 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Just the way Bren likes 'em.

ooh now that's funny
\:D
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Is this allowed? - 12/06/08 03:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
That is not how you shotgun a beer...

but that is even funnier

Posted By: Shane White Re: Is this allowed? - 12/08/08 12:44 AM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
 Originally Posted By: Shane White

Last time I tried to fill beer cans with lead shot, the beer ended up all over me. Should I have stood further away from the cans when firing my shotgun?

Hmm, never done that with beer, only cans of beans \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards