Axiom Home Page
I have been using a piece of software for a few months that is a nice addition to the tools to tweak/manage your 3808 / 4308. Makes everything just a little easier. Hopefully you can chime in and see if the developer will add some additional support.

It is called Command3808 and lets you do and SAVE your settings in a standalone software tool. The thread I reference is relatively short and you can download the program from there. It works nicely and hasn't caused any problems.

I have no connection with it; this is just a little public service announcement. \:D

Let me know what you think.
The first one to put that on an iPhone will make some money while making a lot of people happy.
That is awesome. Wish I could rationalize a new receiver. And a new TV. And a new disc player. And a new TiVo.
Wow, cool! Haven't had a chance to look at the prog. yet but I could easily see this going on a laptop and being used to control my denon from the couch without going into the GUI or using the remote.
I think you(or was it me?) had brought this to our attention before, but I had forgotten about it till now, thanks for the reminder.
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Wow, cool! Haven't had a chance to look at the prog. yet but I could easily see this going on a laptop and being used to control my denon from the couch without going into the GUI or using the remote.

Hmmm - not sure who brought it up (clearly if it was me, I forgot ).

I figured that Mark might want to make use of it. Ya know, if he EVER opens the box on his new 3808!
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi

That's exactly my plan now that I have a laptop. Just got a HP dv7t and it's quite the piece of equipment. I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to use it with the HT rig. It has an HDMI port, so I want to plug into the 3808 and surf on a 58" plasma. Gotta get a 15" HDMI cable from monoprice first.
Yeah... this all seems slightly familiar now...
Very cool! Too bad I don't have a 3808.
Downloaded last night but haven't had a chance to run it yet. But yeah, You can do alot of these things just by typing the ip address of your denon into your web browser... I am sure that this program has a better look and feel to it though, and hopefully some extra features.
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
The first one to put that on an iPhone will make some money while making a lot of people happy.

Actually, the current web interface of the 3808 allows full control over any web browser, including the iPhone, so Denon gave that one out for free.

I use the web interface now a lot from my laptop to fire up the system in the main room and turn on some tunes. I also use it to switch from Zone 1 to Zone 2 if I'm going out to the deck to listen on the Algonquins. It's very cool functionality.

For anyone who has used the existing web interface, I'd be curious to know what this application does that the built in web functionality doesn't (or maybe it's just prettier)? The Denon's web interface is ultra-bland. \:\)

Thanks,

Jason
God, I need this!
Mark, are you still looking at that unopened box?? If so, even I haven't had to wait that long \:D \:D , and if I did, I'm sure I could figure out a way to open it up with my wheelchair.
No, I got it all set up yesterday, though I still have a list of things to do such as program my universal remote, try Audyssey, and try networking it. It's that last part that's I'm dreading....
Myrison- I plan on checking out this program and seeing what it offers that the denon web interface does not.
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
No, I got it all set up yesterday, though I still have a list of things to do such as program my universal remote, try Audyssey, and try networking it. It's that last part that's I'm dreading....

Take a look at the notes I sent you.

Audyssey has some quirks and I have never liked it. My experience shows it tends to do funny stuff ro speaker settings (large/small), sub settings and distances. Me and my SPL calibrate manually. YMMV

The networking thing should be pretty straightforward. Just plug a cable into the router and the networking port on the 3808. If there are problems, consult the notes. You'll be surprised at how easy it is. Plus, you have the 3808 standing army here to help!

The real head-scratching will begin when you get into the individual settings. Again, the notes should help.
I just had to set up the network on my 3808 again today and agree, it really is easy. The only trick you might have to do is to turn off UPnP on your router. That's the biggest "gotcha" I've seen people stumble through in all the forums I've read.

Today when setting mine up, it originally wouldn't release the IP address from my old router and the menu option to fiddle with the networking options was disabled. I was about to do a hard reset when I decided just to yank the network cable from the back and then plug it in again. Voila, picked up the new IP address immediately from my router and was back online.

You also have to turn off the power saving feature in the Denon menu so that you can access the Denon over the network when it is in standby. Otherwise you can only use the networking features when you've already turned it on using the remote or the front panel button.

Jason
I have UPnp turned on since my xbox live likes it... doesn't seem to cause me problems with my denon either. What problems are expected with the denon if UPnP is on?
Honestly I'm not sure, that's just the one piece of setup advice I always see recommended (and usually work) if all else seems to be setup right and the Denon still isn't hooking up to the home network.

So, I guess based on David's advice, you can leave UPnP on and if it works, don't worry about it. I've always just turned mine off because I didn't have any reason to leave it on (that I know of)

Jason
It may be causing minor problems that I am not aware of... who knows. so far the only networking problem I have had is that TVersisty media server tends to need to be reset every day or two for my FLAC files to show up on my denon... kind of a pain b/c I have to walk back to my computer and click the "reset media server " button before I can play my music on the denon. I tried turning uPNP off though and it didn't help. I suspect the problem is with TVersity and/or my router settings.

I have since forwarded some ports for TVersity on my router (by looking at portforward.com) and updated my router firmware to the latest version. I also adjusted some of my firewall settings. I haven't tested things from the denon yet to see if this fixed the reset issue.
© Axiom Message Boards