Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta 3808 problem - 12/14/08 06:14 PM
Well, I went downstairs last night to test out Audyssey on/off and to get a couple songs in before I headed out for the evening, and I couldn't get into the menu of the 3808 (via the remote), then I went up and look at the unit and Audyssey was turned off, which isn't the way I last left it.

On Monday I had a couple guys come in to hook up my intercom camera and they where messing around with my satellite, TV, 3808 etc. and I think they've messed something up. I didn't have a lot of time to tinker around, but it seems like my receiver has been totally reset because I can't even get into the menu , and Audyssey was off. You guys think? The installers clearly didn't know anything about home theaters, they told me (I wasn't in my chair at the time) that my television is high-definition and I was using component from my satellite to my TV but in reality it's only an audio l/r /video cable. Morons.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling, any thoughts??

Thanks
Posted By: jakewash Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 06:33 PM
I sometimes have to pull the batteries out of my remote to get it back to default settings after the kids have been messing around in the basement. This could explain the remotes lack of access to the menus.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 07:52 PM
We tried turning the batteries back-and-forth but nothing, I'll get one of my caregivers to switch the batteries and try it tonight.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 08:31 PM
Hmmm.... you have to hit an odd button combo to completely reset the 3808 so I doubt they did that by accident. Are your channel levels, deleted or renamed sources, or crossover settings the same? The reset basically takes everything back to the default factory settings (without downgrading firmware).
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 08:41 PM
I couldn't get into the menu at all, and there was absolutely no base from my 500, also Audyssey was shut off. Hopefully I'll have time to get my assistant to try to get it working at dinner and I'll report back after. If not, I'll have to get up and do it myself tomorrow morning and report back in the afternoon.

It's just really weird, and frustrating to say the least.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 08:57 PM
I think I would try a hard reset or at the very least an unplugg from the wall for a few minutes. I hope they didn't short something out.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 09:01 PM
Jay, could you help me understand how they could short something out? If I have to get up tomorrow because things aren't working at supper, I'd like to have all of my eggs in one basket before I call them and tear them a new one.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 09:03 PM
Static shock to the system would be my guess, as they were in the neighborhood and just an errant touch could reset the 3808 processor or pop something inside, it is a stretch but you never know.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 09:08 PM
I know they did connect RCA cables from the video camera decoder box to my 3808. This is precisely why I try to get up whenever anyone is doing anything in my house and watch them like a hawk. Can't trust anyone nowadays. That said, settling down now, cross your fingers for me that nothing has happened because I can't cross mine.
Posted By: jakewash Re: 3808 problem - 12/14/08 09:09 PM
I'll cross mine for you.

I think a rest of the system will work but you will then have to spend time resetting all of your settings. Good luck!
Posted By: myrison Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 01:33 AM
Cam - there's also a mode in the Denon 3808 (Pure Direct) that when turned on totally disables the GUI. I accidentally turned this on one time and it took me quite a while to figure out what I'd done. The only way to turn it off (that I remember) is to manually press the button third from the left in the top row (see picture below).

This toggles Pure Direct On/Off, and at the same time will restore the GUI. Since Pure Direct also disables Audyssey, it sounds to me like this might be what happened... hoping so at least, b/c if not this, it might be more serious. \:\(

Posted By: jakewash Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 11:00 AM
Good call Jason, I forgot about pure direct, I always just use direct, I like my GUI too much.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 12:54 PM
Ohhh yeah.... good call. However, with pure direct, not only is the GUI disable but all incomming video is blacked out. Is this what is going on?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 03:24 PM
I didn't try video (the Denon logo did show up on the TV though), just wanted to listen to some music. Unfortunately I couldn't get up today so hopefully my mom can figure it out with some direction.

Very much appreciate the suggestions guys
Posted By: myrison Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 04:02 PM
Let us know how it goes Cam.

Just as a side note, I think it's stupid programming to disable the GUI in Pure Direct... They're just begging for customer problems with a "feature" like that.

Jason
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 04:05 PM
But isn't much of the point of Pure Direct to bypass all video processing circuitry?

(not that you're not right in that it probably generates many service calls!)
Posted By: myrison Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 06:37 PM
Good point. \:\)
Posted By: Ray3 Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 06:49 PM
Here are two reset procedures for you if you want to try that route. (NOTE - the will put your settings back to Denon defaults):

Microprocessor:
- Open the front panel
- Keep the DSP SIMULATION and STANDARD buttons pressed while turning on the power (the little button).
- Release the buttons after seeing 3 flashes
Standard:
- Open the front panel
- Keep the UP and DOWN buttons (on circular pad) pressed while turning on the power (the little button).
- Release the buttons after seeing 1 flash

Hope it helps.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 07:05 PM
if anyone can help ASAP because we are trying to figure it out right now. We are trying to change the input from CD to TV and it won't change. Batteries aren't an issue.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 07:47 PM
"Help! I can't watch TV! I'm stuck listening to CDs!"

May you never have greater problems in your life.

Sorry, I don't have anything helpful to add, so I thought I'd put your troubles in perspective. \:\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 07:50 PM
Have you tried calling denon tech support? generally their hold times suck.. but if you do manage to get through they are pretty helpful. I think you can email them and get a response bacfk in a couple of hours as well.

So even if you twist the source knob on the receiver itself the source doesn't change?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 08:17 PM
Just got your reply. Okay, I did call technical support and they suggested just as you did David, to turn the source knob, and it successfully changed sources. The tech support agent then told me to push the "amp" button on the Denon remote until it displayed "call 1 2 3", which it did, and now it switches inputs via the remote and I have video on DVD (haven't tried TV or my other DVD input because my mom had enough of walking up and down the stairs). The weird thing is that I have never had to have the remote on that setting in order for it to work properly. When I told the tech-support guy this he said that that's abnormal. But anyway it's up and running but I won't know about any of the settings until I can check things out.

Thanks for all your help, hopefully everything is okay.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 08:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
"Help! I can't watch TV! I'm stuck listening to CDs!"

May you never have greater problems in your life.

True that \:\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 09:02 PM
I can only change sources if it shows "1 2 3" or if zone 1 is flashing after pressing amp. If I press the amp again and it shows Zone2, Z3 or Z4 it won't work.

Otherwise you are trying to change sources for zone 2 (if you have it assigned to one of the speaker terminals on the back), or zone 3 or 4 (which don't exist on the 3808). If one of the other buttons is flashing (sat, tuner, ect.) then you are not changing sources but pressing the numerical key to enter a channel or a radio preset/ ect.

Posted By: myrison Re: 3808 problem - 12/15/08 10:44 PM
Glad to hear it's working again Cam.
Posted By: JohnK Re: 3808 problem - 12/16/08 04:20 AM
Yes, Mark's point is good. If the "pure direct" type of mode(which I never use)is to take supposed advantage of minimal processing, then all features which aren't absolutely essential to basic operation have to be disabled.
Posted By: Murph Re: 3808 problem - 12/17/08 03:25 PM
Calvin Ken is very wise.

OK I just wanted to call him Ken again.
© Axiom Message Boards