Axiom Home Page
Posted By: turbo16v metal speaker covers - 12/20/08 10:27 PM
I found this thread showing a diy expanded metal speaker grill and thought they looked great.. how would this look on a m80? would it affect sound quality?

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=38645&page=7

I am tired of worring about my drivers getting damaged and the cloth speaker grills don't protect from kids and cats.
anyway i was just wondering if anyone else has thought of this or has any ideas where I could find expanded metal? maybe car audio shops? Ideas???
Posted By: nickbuol Re: metal speaker covers - 12/20/08 10:31 PM
They look like they are half way "between"... You know, "half naked" looking.

I wouldn't think that it would impact the sound at all as long as they didn't rattle.
Posted By: turbo16v Re: metal speaker covers - 12/20/08 10:35 PM
I like sexy things half naked
Posted By: pmbuko Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 12:07 AM
Fishnet stockings for speakers are NOT sexy.
Posted By: myrison Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 02:15 AM
The SVS-PB13 Ultra sub has a mesh metal grill (black on black was the one I had). Personally, I thought it was one of the coolest looking speaker grills I'd ever seen. (yes, I know I didn't answer any of your questions, but I do agree with you that they are very cool looking) \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 02:25 AM
Ah, but the SVS has a curved metal grille, curves are always sexier than flat.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 03:48 AM
Those look great. Wonder if the guy would do some for Axioms. Given our reputation around the AV123 forums, though...
Posted By: jakewash Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 03:54 AM
We have a rep, really? How cool is that?
Posted By: turbo16v Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 03:55 AM
I could make them if I could find the right preforated metal....
;\)
Posted By: Spoiler Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 01:42 PM
I never did try the grill on my PB13, I've just been running it bare with all three ports open baby! \:\)

I do believe this thread has inspired me to whip it out and try it on...

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 02:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: Spoiler
whip it out and try it on...

:::runs away giggling:::
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 05:18 PM
Hee hee.

:::runs away. . . *bumps into Mark*

"Oh, hey, Mark! Fancy meeting you here." *giggles* "I know, I was thinking the same thing. . ."
Posted By: Spoiler Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 07:18 PM
It seems my little pun was indeed appreciated. \:D

I never even looked at the grill closely until today...it was still taped in its plastic wrap. Four beefy magnets on both the right and left sides of the grill evenly spaced from top to bottom. The magnets on the sub itself are unseen behind the textured surface. Once it's on, it hangs on for dear life. A sturdy, well designed grill.

Posted By: myrison Re: metal speaker covers - 12/21/08 09:04 PM
Yes, I thought the same thing... At first, it was hard to imagine anything not bolted down staying strapped to the PB13 when it was rocking full-boar, but those magnets are beefy.
Posted By: fredk Re: metal speaker covers - 12/22/08 12:01 AM
You should try having a finger between a pair of magnets like that when they snap together. Well, mayby not, it hurts!
© Axiom Message Boards