Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Brandon_G voltage stabilizer ? - 12/29/08 10:31 PM
does anyone use these i know monster makes them they look like a amp but use a series of capacitors to clean power , smooth out voltage , and act as a surge protector .
Posted By: Wid Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/29/08 10:46 PM

There's no need for such a thing. You home wiring will do just fine. Most electronics have the ability to deal with fluctuations through the power supply.
Posted By: jakewash Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 12:11 AM
Nice eye candy though, I have the Belkin PF60. If you have a seperate amp, these power filter/surge suppressor items make it a little easier on the amps as they fire them up after the preamp is turned and allow a little delay if so desired.

So far as any actual benefit to having one is purely up to each situation, as some people have very noisy/spiky power systems feeding their homes and these products help even things out, which in theory should make life easier on the components hooked up to them, although in reality, most products allow for these discrepencies with their own power supplies containing a certain amount of suppression already.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 12:41 AM
I like my Tripplite, as it shows me how many amps I'm drawing at any given minute. Also, each bank is isolated.
Posted By: Brandon_G Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 02:09 AM
i just figured a power bar cost 3/4 of the price the have them on sale for , and its allways nice to have another component haha
Posted By: Brandon_G Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 02:16 AM
wow belkin makes a nice power bar kinda pricey
Posted By: jakewash Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 02:43 AM
I have always liked Belkin products and best of all it is not Monster \:D
Posted By: Wid Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 03:27 AM

You said voltage stabilizer not a power conditioner. There's a huge difference.
Posted By: Brandon_G Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 03:37 AM
really how so?
Posted By: Wid Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 03:44 AM
Voltage stabilizer Power conditioner
Posted By: myrison Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 03:50 AM
Another vote against power conditioners for any functional reason unless you live in a home that has major power problems, frequent brownouts, etc. Like others have said though, they do look nice in a rack and for some that's reason enough to throw one into the mix. There are a few edge cases like Jay mentioned where you might benefit slightly from adding one in, but most of them are pretty expensive for what you get.

Jason
Posted By: Brandon_G Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 03:50 AM
i believe many of them do both
Posted By: SirQuack Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 04:06 AM
Brandon why so many questions and so many posts, when it appears you know all?
Posted By: Wid Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 04:13 AM
Never mind
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 09:45 AM
How about a link to the ones on sale.
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 07:36 PM
How about a UPS? I was thinking of going with one of those to make sure my DVR does not get interrupted during power outages. (plus DirecTV usually takes awhile to reboot and reconfig)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 08:44 PM
I use a UPS on my setup, but I also have a pretty modest setup (aside from the M80s and EP350...). I bought it the second to last time my TiVo committed suicide (long story). I have a Belkin. It's worked just fine, although I've never tested it during an outage with the receiver or TV on.
Posted By: Wid Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 09:04 PM

What are ya waiting for, test that sucker \:\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 09:07 PM
I have a Belkin UPS and power distribution setup:

I use the UPS to power the TiVo, TiVo external hard drive and my DLP. I too, would turn off the DLP if I lost power, but at least the fan would cool the bulb and the TiVo will go on merrily recording!

EDIT: I would never buy the "M" unit on principal alone! (Don't want to use their name...it makes them stronger!)
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 09:13 PM
What does the power distribution do for you...other than..uhm, distribute power?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 09:25 PM
The Belkin has a smart "power on" setup that uses a trigger from the receiver to power on/off other components, some with settable delays, etc...i.e., my whole system powers up when the receiver is turned on without drawing from it's switchable outlet on the back.

Plus, it offers lots of outlets (12, I think?).

It also looks really, really pretty! \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/30/08 11:48 PM
 Quote:
I would never buy the "M" unit on principal alone!
Would you buy one on vice principal?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/31/08 12:02 AM
Not even for a really hot French teacher.

Well, maybe I would have.
Posted By: JohnK Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/31/08 03:29 AM
Mark, the principle to remember is that the principal is your pal(to drag up that oldie).
Posted By: myrison Re: voltage stabilizer ? - 12/31/08 02:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I have a Belkin UPS and power distribution setup:

Like I said earlier, if they do nothing else at all, one strong reason to buy these is how dang good they look sitting in a rack. Pretty pictures Mark.

Jason
© Axiom Message Boards