Axiom Home Page
Posted By: phin Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/23/09 09:43 PM
anyone with an opinion on Anthem pre/pros / amps.
does the quality warrant the extra cost.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/23/09 11:30 PM
The name warrants the extra cost, Emotiva, Outlaw, Odyssey, Integra, etc. all make great products for less money.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 04:35 AM
Phin,

Anthem has been around for a long time and they do make great products. There are some products you pay for the name, I'm not totally sure Anthem applies, but I can tell you their amps won't shut down driving m80's. \:\)
Posted By: Nonpoint Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 06:02 AM
Phin,

I have an avm 30 pre-pro. I recommend getting one used as they are built like tanks and you can save some cash. I have no regrets. Just my opinion...
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 06:38 AM
I have an Anthem PVA 5, 5 channel amplifier. I think it is rated at 105 wpc (into an 8 ohm load).

I have other amps with much more power, more slam, but the Anthem is ... sorry John, here it comes ... so musical. It works so sweetly at low volumes. It is wonderful for 2 channel music or movies. It's very good for a solid state amplifier.

I guess my dream system would be the new Anthem statement processor, the big Anthem powerhouse multichannel amp, some nice Thiels, or Focals, or next generation Axiom speakers all around.

Anyway, every Anthem component I have heard does a wonderful job.
Posted By: BoB/335 Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 12:36 PM
"or next generation Axiom speakers all around."

Should I wait for the next generation?
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 01:05 PM
Hey Bob

When I was at Axiom 4 years ago, as I was touring the plant I saw a speaker box with 9 holes in it. Looked like an M80 with only 3 x 3 driver configuration instead of the 2 x 3 in the M80's. I asked Ian what was this, he looked at me and said, that is R&D, our Kilowatt speaker. He also mentioned to me that it wouldn't necessarily sound better then the M80's, it would just play a whole lot louder.

The current Axiom HT speaker lineup hasn’t changed in almost 10 years (with some minor tweaks). I am sure there is new stuff on the horizon. What and when we will see it, who knows.

Maybe someone else here knows more about that and can enlighten us.
Posted By: phin Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 01:18 PM
Thank you all,

Good insight!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 04:28 PM
"The next generation" is probably a long way off. From my conversations with Alan, I think they're quite happy with the current lineup.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 04:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: Worfzara
Hey Bob

When I was at Axiom 4 years ago, as I was touring the plant I saw a speaker box with 9 holes in it. Looked like an M80 with only 3 x 3 driver configuration instead of the 2 x 3 in the M80's. I asked Ian what was this, he looked at me and said, that is R&D, our Kilowatt speaker. He also mentioned to me that it wouldn't necessarily sound better then the M80's, it would just play a whole lot louder.

The current Axiom HT speaker lineup hasn’t changed in almost 10 years (with some minor tweaks). I am sure there is new stuff on the horizon. What and when we will see it, who knows.

Maybe someone else here knows more about that and can enlighten us.

Worf, I saw the same cabinet outside the sound chambre at Axiom just a couple of months ago! I asked Debbie about it, and after threatening my to break my kneecaps (lol) I understood that it was an experimental cabinet and as Alan told me, Axiom is continually testing new ideas.
Posted By: michael_d Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 05:27 PM
Anthem no doubt makes excellent products. They have an almost fanatically religious fan base. That speaks loudly.

Where I think they are falling down is in regards to how they handle the new HD codecs. I think they are behind the power curve. They still preach the merits of not needing HMDI 1.3 and try to convince interested persons that they don’t need it, instead of just being honest and telling folks they are working on new gear that will pass the codecs. I imagine that within 12 – 18 months, they’ll be up to speed and have a product that will compete with the best of the best.
Posted By: casey01 Re: Anthem pre/pro / amps - 01/24/09 07:15 PM
Anthem makes a terrific product but still, because it is made in Canada and not in the Far East it is subject to local costs making it considerably more expensive than a product that is manufactured offshore. Add on to that the retailer markup. The HDMI FAQ on their website is old news since at the CES they introduced the AVM 50v2 with all the new surround codecs along with their proprietary room equalization process. I assume it will become available in the spring. Of course this isn't even one of their "top-of-the-line Statement" products and its MSRP is $5000!
© Axiom Message Boards