Axiom Home Page
Posted By: gpe should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 02/13/09 01:41 AM
I could use some advice. I read amazing things about the m3's on this forum. I currently listen to mostly classical music, average sized den. Does anyone remember EPI A70 speakers from the 1980's? Mine perform quite well, and I wouldn't say I'm unhappy at all. On the other hand, I'd be more than willing to trade up, if there would be a significant improvement in overall sound quality.

I know a lot of very knowledgeable folks hang out here, and I'd really value your opinions. Thanks.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 02/13/09 02:20 AM
Welcome G,

I'm sure JohnK will be along soon, our resident classical (thousands in his collection) and m22 guru.

How big is your room, and to what levels do you listen. Also, do you have a sub?
Randy
You mean these?

Posted By: gpe Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 02/13/09 02:38 AM
Hi Randy,

I'm guessing the room is about 10 ft by 20 ft. Stereo is in the middle of the long wall, and sofa's in the middle of the opposite wall. The wall has 'built-ins', so the stereo is kind of a bookshelf arrangement. No sub in the system, and I'd prefer to avoid one, if possible. Decent, but not spectacular JVC receiver.

Listening levels tend to be medium to low. Occasinally I'll crank it up if no one else is home.

On the surface,the old EPI's are quite similar to the m3's. Slightly bigger physical size, a couple of pounds heavier.

George
Posted By: gpe Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 02/13/09 02:40 AM
Chesseroo,

YES - exactly!

George
Posted By: SirQuack Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 02/13/09 03:30 AM
The reason I mentioned the sub, is because there is great potential in some classical music to have frequencies that only a sub can appreciate. \:\) Holst The Planets would be an example.
Posted By: Wid Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 02/13/09 03:35 AM

My very first set of speakers, in 1978, was a set of EPI 100s. I do recall them being one hell of a speaker for the size and money. I can't say if the M3s would be an upgrade as I have never heard them, the M80s sure would be though \:\)
Posted By: JohnK Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 02/13/09 05:31 AM
GP, welcome. My own listening is almost entirely classical music and I can strongly recommend the M22s for that use in your den.
Ah 1977 audio gear. I also chose the EPI 100's with the ferro-fluid tweeters for my first speakers. Compared to the paper cone tweeters the epi's blew them away. Well made speakers for sure.

As far as upgrading I would go up to the M22's to really beat the EPI's by a good margin. I have the 22's. They really are as accurate and detailed as everybody says.
Posted By: gpe Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 02/15/09 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've ordered my axiom speakers. I'll let you know my impressions when I receive them.

George
Posted By: gpe Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 04/27/09 11:00 PM
Well, I due to certain issues, I just ordered my M3's this past Friday morning, and received them today, which is Monday. How's that for service!

My fist impression - WOW. (Actually, that was my second impression. I forgot to turn of the 'loudness' switch, which my old speakers needed in order to perform, and my first impression was that the M3's were boomy. The M3's need no assistance whatsoever.)

Without getting into soundstaging, imaging, ... - the speakers are great - lots of very solid base for the mostly classical and jazz music I listen to, and lots of clear musical detail. All this in a setup which is far from ideal - mostly mp3 192k quality from my laptop which is now a giant ipod, hooked into an 'ok' 15 year old JVC receiver, with the speakers sitting on the floor.

Bottom line is that these are great stereo speakers for serious listening, even if they're not in a true audiophile environment.
Congrats on your purchase gpe! The M3's are terrific sounding speakers especially with jazz which I listen to a lot of. Are you using a subwoofer or running them full range (set to large)?

The M3's are only going to sound better as your ears/brain adjust to their sound in the next week or so \:\) .

Enjoy!

Posted By: SirQuack Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 04/27/09 11:16 PM
Great news!
Posted By: Wid Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 04/27/09 11:30 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: fredk Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 04/28/09 01:22 AM
Nice. I wish I still had my old Advents. It would be fun to compare them to anything in the Axiom. As good as those Advents were, I suspect that they would not sound as good as anything from Axiom.
Posted By: DaveG Re: should I upgrade from my EPI's to m3's? - 04/28/09 11:50 AM
Congrats and enjoy your M3s.
 Originally Posted By: gpe
lots of very solid base

Yes, they are very well built and sit well on the side or bottom.

You should get very good bass as well. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards