Axiom Home Page
Posted By: deathjester help picking system - 02/24/09 11:55 PM
hi i was hoping you guys could help pick me pick out speakers. I have a small to medium size room in a apartment. Im trying to avoid useing a sub. i mainly use for movies and gaming. Thanks for any input. oh yeah i have a denon 1909 for a reciever.
Posted By: merchman Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:05 AM
M3's will do you just fine. Budget not an issue, m80's. Your Denon will work great. Your neighbors may not think so though ;\)

By the way, welcome to the forum
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:15 AM
thanks neighbors are an issue. how would the m22 work without a sub. which center would you recommend in need clear dialouge at low volumes cause i have a 2 year old son. Also how do these compare to polk rti and klipsch icons thats what i was gonna get till i found this site.
Posted By: merchman Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:35 AM
deathjester, I have m3's and m80's. I can't answer about the m22's but they do go as low as the m3's graph wise. The m3's have a boost at 100hz so I've read. All I know is that they have good bass in my rooms. I think either center would work fine but it may depend on how far you sit away from the speakers. The m22's may work fine with a phantom center and save you some money. Keep asking questions so the others can chime in and help you out. \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:41 AM
bump. \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:42 AM
Uh... why did this need a bump?
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:47 AM
ha ha i wasnt really looking for a bump. I was just curious about how the m22 would sound without a sub. A what center best matches them
Posted By: Ken.C Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:50 AM
I think you'd probably want either M3s or one of the towers without a sub, but I kind of like bass. You would also be fine with the VP100. BTW, I live in an apartment as well, although I only have a (very tolerant/deaf) neighbor above mine, and I use M80s and an EP350. As long as you keep the volume at a reasonable level, it should be fine.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:54 AM
What Ken said, more or less.

VP100 is a very fine center channel speaker.
Posted By: thefwam Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:55 AM
I have found the M22's to sound really great however they are configured. They really come to life with a good sub to round out the lower end (like any bookshelf), but I ran mine for a few months without a sub and was very pleased with them.
Posted By: Wid Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:56 AM

Bump

Just kidding, I'd go with the M3s with the VP 100 also. I think I just repeated what Ken said \:\)
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 12:59 AM
wow so the m3 are that good. i was thinking of getting the m60 but you may have saved me money
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:02 AM
Well, the M60's are probably "better" than the M3, if you have the coin and the space.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:02 AM
Oh, and

Bump
Posted By: Ken.C Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:06 AM
Sigh.

Bump.
Posted By: merchman Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:07 AM
budget deathjester? m60's would be great. m80's better. Of course I'm in the m80 posse. Either way, you will not make your neighbors happy, but who cares. The m3's are great little speakers and I enjoy the hell out of them in my new listening room I aquired when the last child moved out of the house.
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:08 AM
Well once you put the m3 on a stabd it would probably be close to the same size right. the good price was why i was looking at them
Posted By: Ken.C Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:09 AM
The M50s would also be a good choice.
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:14 AM
well if i get m60x2 Qs4x2 and vp150X at outlet price thats only around 1500. Thats right around my budget for new stuff.
Posted By: merchman Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:16 AM
Sounds like a great plan.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:20 AM
Sounds good to me.
Posted By: Wid Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:27 AM
Ditto
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:42 AM
winner winner chicken dinner
Posted By: Wid Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:45 AM
\:D \:D
Posted By: fredk Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 01:48 AM
If you pass on the sub, I would go with a tower to give you more bass. The M80 has great extension for music. On many tracks I cannot tell much or any difference between just the M80 and M80+ sub.

I also live in an apartment, but its a conctrete box so it keeps all that bass in. I can play my EP350 at reference without any complaints. I watched Serenity at 1:00am at close to reference (the windows were rattling) and nobody complained.

P.S. If you really want a bass hump on the M22 you can just turn up the bass tone control on your receiver. You will still get better extension than the M3.
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 02:10 AM
I think the towers are the best bet for me. I can easily keep them at a volume where i dont shake the place. Ive just had too hard of a time doing that with a sub in the past. Are those surrounds a good choice i never had bi or quadpolar ones before.
Posted By: JohnK Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 03:55 AM
DJ, before I got my EP500 I frequently used my M22s without my sub(a much more modest unit). For nearly all music(definitely not including pipe organ)they were excellent and had usable response down to about 40Hz with room gain. As has already been mentioned, applying a little bass boost on the tone control simulates to a considerable extent the upper bass hump(which I don't care for)that some small speakers employ to give an impression of greater overall bass.
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 09:05 PM
i only really care about there sound for movies. As far as music i listen to old punk so i dont care about sound quality much
Posted By: Wid Re: help picking system - 02/25/09 09:09 PM

You will \:\) once you've heard them.
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/26/09 08:43 PM
I think im just gonna get a pair of m22s and avp100 to start. I can always add a sub later if i need more bass. Im really tempted to ge real wood speakers instead of vinyl. Has anyone here gotten them i was kind of curious if paying more defeats the point of buying axioms. I just cant help looking at the rosewoods and wanting them though.
Posted By: HAY Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 03:08 AM
You may want to check out the custom vinyl, such as the High Gloss Cherry which is a bit cheaper.

Or check the Custom Shop

as well as the Custom Outlet
Posted By: Adrian Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 03:17 AM
Hay, I've looked for that custom outlet before. Where did you find the link to it, I thought this was limited to previous owners though, I may be wrong about that, though.
Posted By: JohnK Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 03:39 AM
Adrian, both the custom vinyl and custom wood finishes are described in the "custom shop" section of the "store".
Posted By: Adrian Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 03:43 AM
I had no problem finding the custom shop, but I couldn't find the custom outlet, well I found it once then couldn't remember where I found it!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 03:43 AM
You can find links to the custom vinyl and wood shops on the product page, like everything else. \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 03:45 AM
Found it!!
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 04:29 AM
wow that high gloss cherry is nice. How are those as far as finger prints and dust go. That would save me over 300 dollars too. If i would decide to get a sub what is the best way to hook it up with the m22. I always used a sub cable but i hear it better to run speaker cable through the sub.
Posted By: JohnK Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 04:53 AM
DJ, you heard wrong; running speaker wire rather than a coaxial cable to the sub doesn't take advantage of the receiver's bass management. The only control is the low pass filter in the sub which rolls its response off above the selected frequency(approximately). For more precise division of frequency burdens use the sub output on the receiver with most likely a 80Hz crossover between the sub and M22s. Bypass the sub's internal filter(if that setting is available)or set it at the highest frequency, to get it out of the way.
Posted By: deathjester Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 05:08 AM
Ok thats how ive always done it. I was actually thinking about picking up a definitive technology prosub 800. Its cheap and not to bulky.
Posted By: Wid Re: help picking system - 02/27/09 01:37 PM

You can do much better than the Def Tech sub for the money. A couple of examples would be the eD A2-300, the Hsu STF-2, the Outlaw LFM 1 and there are others for just a little more money.
Posted By: HAY Re: help picking system - 03/02/09 06:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: deathjester
wow that high gloss cherry is nice. How are those as far as finger prints and dust go.

I always have a microfiber cloth near by....

People are always attracted to them and love to touch them
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: help picking system - 03/02/09 01:35 PM
I wonder if Axiom can make some of that available to me for self-application?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: help picking system - 03/02/09 04:01 PM
Mark wants to sport some wood.
Posted By: Zimm Re: help picking system - 03/02/09 04:28 PM
I'm out of here, this thread has gone to bad bad place.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: help picking system - 03/02/09 04:57 PM
Mark, if you ever make it to Des Moines, there is a place called The Lumberyard, where real men go to get wood. It is not a home improvement store. \:\)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: help picking system - 03/02/09 05:22 PM
Is it full of lumberjacks in flannel?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: help picking system - 03/02/09 05:29 PM
I'll just say it is BYOB.

© Axiom Message Boards